Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK Ladies, kinda embarrasing question for you all

@ your last two sentences made me giggle!

I never gave this much thought (pre-op stage). But now that it's been brought to my attention....I believe I'll have to find out what is expected of me. I do know that I won't have a cath.

Boy, this is strange. I have had many catheters placed although not one for bypass. Never ever ever have I been told to shave there nor have I woke up shaved. If it is about placing a catheter that is a strange.

Incidentally all 7 of my incisions are no where near my lady bits.

I would definately ask.

Did not shave. Was not shaved. Had a catheter. Subject of shaving never came up. My sleeve was my 12th surgery and only twice was I shaved.......traumatically when I was 14 and had my appendix out.....horrifying for a young girl, and again at age 17 when I had a lower abdominal exploratory with a bikini cut. I even had two vertical c-sections and was not shaved.

This shaving thing sounds strange. I just pulled out my pre-op checklist(yes I saved it, LOL) and it says absolutely no shaving from the neck down 1 week before surgery to prevent any infections-I am guessing if you cut yourself? I too woke up with a cath and unshaven.

Um...No. No shaving. In fact, I think I was wearing underwear when I went back for surgery. No catheter. I remember struggling to get them down afterwards so I could pee.

I hate shaving down there. I clean it up but rarely shave the whole thing. It's there for a reason, right?!

No request to shave, no catheter. I did request a pad and their smurf underwear, since back then I sometimes couldn't make it to the bathroom if I had to go really badly. Which incidentally has resolved since losing weight.

Unless the hospital is sending hair to a third world country for weaving, I can't think of a single reason why one would have to shave for WLS. I didn't have to shave for childbirth, spinal surgery or a hysterectomy.

You simple HAVE to ask and then PLEASE report the reasoning back to us.

We will be right here, keeping your place warm on "The Losers' Bench".

Bless,

Valentina

Omg...LOL funny!!!

Unless the hospital is sending hair to a third world country for weaving, I can't think of a single reason why one would have to shave for WLS. I didn't have to shave for childbirth, spinal surgery or a hysterectomy.

Bless,

Valentina

My lowest incision is 12 in from my vagina!

When they told me to undress and put on the gown, I left my panties on. I asked the nurses that came to wheel me to surgery if I could leave my underwear on.... and they said "No, naked under the gown." I told them good, that I was. I woke after surgery in a fresh hospital gown and my same black panties. Maybe it is a hygiene issue, or something besides surgical, for your surgeon? Seems odd.

I didn't shave and wasn't shaved either, and I had a catheter. I didn't even shave my legs either as I couldn't find my shaver.

What the hell?!?

No, no shaving required. No shaving done.

Why in the world are you required to shave your pubic hair?

Out of curiosity, has any male patient ever been required to shave his pubic hair prior to laparoscopic surgery?

Going by the answers to the post I made on the private Facebook page for our surgeon about how difficult it is to shave that area with my great bloody belly and thighs in the way, yes, men and women.

I'm not based in the US so maybe it's just different in Europe? If it's not for the catheter then I'm not sure why.

I asked and she said there are mixed results in studies as to whether it's more hygienic, but different countries have different stands depending on the research and here it just happen to be that they shave.

I'm saying don't do it now, if it needs it let them do it, because you could develop itchy bumps overnight. And I don't want you to have to deal with that along with all the other things we are all anxious about.

I "tried" to shave myself about 5 days ago ... how horrible it is when you're a big as I am, and everything is curvy and a razor blade is flat. I cut myself, and now all the itchies have gone away. There is this crazy patch I missed. Oh well. They can get if now if they need to. I'd be totally fine with that!

I think because we are so large that we stretch out the area, our pubic area and it kinda climbs upward onto the stomach and "pants line" maybe? Or underwear top line? Maybe it can pose a bacteria issue. I know my belly hangs over my underwear in the front so it was so much FUN to shave myself. *sigh* But I am one of those people who get the itchy bumps sometimes, so I just did it a few days ago so they'd go away.

I'm going to wash my entire body with Hibicleanse again today. Right before I pretend to sleep. >,<

Bless,

Valentina

I've actually given this some thought---why? I haven't a clue. After being the office administrator for a group of surgeons, (many years ago), I think I remember shaving since the 1970's is "surgeon's preference". It's all about his/her background as to what is proper, sterile, hygienically and clean surgery.

Research backs up the practice of NOT shaving--even for childbirth, because any kind of shaving leaves the skin "traumatized"--irritated and sometimes cut.

There. That is what I'm thinking.... To Shave or Not To Shave: That is the question.

I hope that is the hardest dilemma any of us will have to face while we share this journey that has brought us all here.

Be healthy and hairy, (Please no braiding one's "small hairs") :),

Valentina

I love this site! A rainy day in San Diego and nothing to do and got to read 5 pages on this subject. I was not asked and did not shave and had a catheter. 66 and never shaved in my life so that would of been fun. But luckily I have so little body hair anywhere that they might not of noticed. Good luck!