Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared with a lot to think about

Just had an appt with my Dr. and talked about revision. He let me know that the risk for leaks can be 15-20%. He said that could require tubing and being fed through and IV for weeks. (just explaining all complications per my request) I have two babies and couldn't even imagine having to deal with a leak!

I am currently 232lbs. I have a couple options to consider....

1. Take lapband out now and try to lose the weight with diet (which I have obviously failed at my whole life hence the lapband) NO revsion

2. Get down to 220lbs and have the lapband taken out and revision done in one operation

3. Have the lapband taken out now; try to lose weight on my own and if I fail, talk about having the revision done later.

I was all for getting a revision, but now I am more nervous and scared about the whole process. I have a 1 and 2 year old and am not sure I want to risk my life and having complications to have a huge portion of my stomach removed.... I wish I could see into the future. Super anxious, nervous, and feeling defeated at the moment! :(

What did you mean by revision? From band to sleeve?

I think the figure he gave you is incorrect. I was told it was closer to 1% risk for a leak or other complication.

I guess my next question to the surgeon would be what is his average for for pts having leaks post op and of that percentage how many were revisions. I would also ask what measures does he take to prevent leaks from occurring. Personally speaking my surgery was easy breezy, but I was a straight VSG procedure. You have a choice of developing comorbs that may prevent you from taking care of your babies, and possibly developing a leak.

ETA: Here's a success story that might be helpful to you.

Of course you're scared; hearing statistics will do that to you, especially when you've just had laid out for you every worst-case scenario in the book. Here are a couple things to remember. First, Any surgery of any kind has a risk - your band had risk. And you did that successfully and are healthy enough to consider revision.

Second, most people don't get leaks. and of those who do, only some of those end up in the worst-case scenario your surgeon described to you.

Third, the studies that result in those complication statistics are done with pretty small sample sizes. here is a link to some of them (scroll down on the page) http://www.bariatric-surgery-source.com/lap-band-revision-surgery.html

It may make you feel a bit better to actually read the studies. I know I like facts.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

What did you mean by revision? From band to sleeve?

I think the figure he gave you is incorrect. I was told it was closer to 1% risk for a leak or other complication.

yes from band to sleeve. A sleeve alone is 1% When you have had a previous WLS the risk increases.

I guess my next question to the surgeon would be what is his average for for pts having leaks post op and of that percentage how many were revisions. I would also ask what measures does he take to prevent leaks from occurring. Personally speaking my surgery was easy breezy, but I was a straight VSG procedure. You have a choice of developing comorbs that may prevent you from taking care of your babies, and possibly developing a leak.

Thank you for your response. I agree that my weight is not ok for keeping up with my littles. I guess it was just hearing all his talk about leaks that had me mortified to be honest. He is the head surgeon of Barriatrics and has done NUMEROUS sleeves. When I asked how many revisions, he said he has done half a dozen. His track record is amazing, but that number is also low for me to consider....

Also, Thank you for that story! It is reassuring :)

Of course you're scared; hearing statistics will do that to you, especially when you've just had laid out for you every worst-case scenario in the book. Here are a couple things to remember. First, Any surgery of any kind has a risk - your band had risk. And you did that successfully and are healthy enough to consider revision.

Second, most people don't get leaks. and of those who do, only some of those end up in the worst-case scenario your surgeon described to you.

Third, the studies that result in those complication statistics are done with pretty small sample sizes. here is a link to some of them (scroll down on the page) http://www.bariatric-surgery-source.com/lap-band-revision-surgery.html

It may make you feel a bit better to actually read the studies. I know I like facts.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Thank You for your response. I agree with everything you have said. I guess when I got the band, my main goal was to get to a healthy weight to have children. So I was all for it whatever the risks. It was my last hope. Now that I have my babies, I feel like I overthink and over analyze everything. I am sure I will most likely do it, just very nervous at the moment.

4 years ago risk of leaks or other serious complications was thought to be about 1-2% for virgin sleever and about twice that for revision. My surgeon said these were estimated but certainly in the single digit risk.

Have you checked medline or any other sources of data on complication rates? I don't believe these 20% plus figures....if that were the case this forum would be flooded with the stories.

I would see a different surgeon. My surgeon gave me a MUCH lower figure. I would certainly not have a revision with a surgeon who has only done half a dozen.

The first seminar I attended the surgeon presenting said that a three month recovery for the stomach was needed after the band removal. Then I could have the sleeve surgery. It blew my mind, as I really wanted it all done in one surgery. However, the next seminar the surgeon there said the same thing. I gave up my hurry up attitude and went with what I had heard twice, and subsequently 3 times when I finally scheduled a consultation. They all said the complication were less, chances of a leak was less, it was just safer. Especially if someone has had band complications over the years.

I'm just saying, getting the band out and doing something differently later on might be an option.

Edited by Halfagain

Another benefit to the wait...omg, I was so hungry during those 3 months post band removal. By the time I was sleeved I knew I needed bariatric surgery. I had no doubts....it was my ONLY way out.

The first seminar I attended the surgeon presenting said that a three month recovery for the stomach was needed after the band removal. Then I could have the sleeve surgery. It blew my mind, as I really wanted it all done in one surgery. However, the next seminar the surgeon there said the same thing. I gave up my hurry up attitude and went with what I had heard twice, and subsequently 3 times when I finally scheduled a consultation. They all said the complication were less, chances of a leak was less, it was just safer. Especially if someone has had band complications over the years.

I'm just saying, getting the band out and doing something differently later on might be an option.