Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Regret, depression & anxiety

Why would eating something make you pass out?

It is difficult to transition to solid food, but if you are careful, eat slowly, chew well and don't push it - well most of us don't throw up. Has this been a problem?

I was reading about the dumping that may happen and some people pass out

And ive only threw up once.

Okay, so if you worry about every little thing that could possibly happen, no matter how remote the chance, you are going to drive yourself crazy!

Dumping is mainly an issue for bypass patients, and even then, only about 1/3 of them dump. It's really really uncommon for sleeve patients.

Since I was a little kid, I've tended to have a weak stomach, get carsick, etc. I also have a ridiculously sensitive vagus nerve, and I tend to pass out for silly reasons. That being said, I have not had any problems because of surgery. I've only thrown up twice. Once was the day I came home from the hospital and tried to take my whole antidepressant for the first time in a coupe days on an empty stomach, which was just dumb of me. And the other time was just a weird combination of factors and was a fluke. Both times I was at home, no big deal.

I'm close to 5 months out from surgery, and I've traveled and have gone to plenty of restaurants. In the beginning, when I was introducing new foods, I'd try them at home first to make sure I could tolerate them. But at this point, I really don't worry about it. I just try to make good choices (i.e., not ordering deep-fried crap or chowing down on the bread basket). I've had food from Asian restaurants, Mexican, Indian, German, Italian, bar-and-grill type places, etc. I've spent a weekend camping out in the woods at a Revolutionary War reenactment and eating 18th-century-style food cooked over an open fire.

My sleeve has not limited me from doing all sorts of activities--in fact, it has made it possible for me to experience and enjoy life much more than I had been, because now I can physically do a lot more and am not tired and in pain all the time!

@@anna9/15, you have got to get some help... you got the surgery because you wanted a new lease on life, right? Don't let yourself spiral into this black hole of anxiety and depression! I say that as someone who also struggles against my own mental demons. Find a good therapist, and get on some meds (at least temporarily). When you're in the thick of a depressive episode, you lose sight of the fact that life does not have to be like this, that you don't have to be miserable, you don't have to be afraid all the time. But we are all here trying to tell you that it can be better--believe us!

The medicine is what im trying to do without because i come from a very addictive background and im scared of being hooked on something i can't get off of.since u cant just stop ur medicine cold turkey

Regret, depression & anxiety - I can't be in this alone

@@anna9/15

it must be hard having WLS with no one around to help/answer your questions

your medical team (nut/doc) "should" be around to help you

ask any and all questions

don't be shy or feel any question is "stupid"

talk to your doc immediately about the gerd

hopefully the "pill" they might suggest will work for you sooner than later

you'll read/get a lot of good info/suggestions/experiences on this board

listen to them all

but at the end of the day ONLY listen to your NUT or doc :)

Vitamin, eating, drinking problems/question should go to NUT

ask doc's office people to direct you to a support group

possibly your hospital has a group

need motivation??

your health will improve :rolleyes:

physical problem should decrease or disappear totally

you should feel better about yourself, more confident

the fact that your appearance will improve - that's not bad either :rolleyes:

remember the saying "keep your eyes on the prize" (something like that)

get some tissues and wipe your pretty eyes ;)

take care bud

big huggggs :rolleyes:

kathy

Thank you

I think if you look at this objectively, you are creating scenarios that are less likely than getting run over in your parking lot at work. Seriously you are driving yourself nuts with things that just arent real problems.

Very few sleevers dump and it is caused by eating certain foods. You say you have been eating successfully so how about trying a new food at home before at work?

Follow your plan, eat slowly, chew well and you should be just fine.

Look both ways before crossing the parking lot.

It is difficult to transition to solid food, but if you are careful, eat slowly, chew well and don't push it - well most of us don't throw up. Has this been a problem?

Okay, so if you worry about every little thing that could possibly happen, no matter how remote the chance, you are going to drive yourself crazy!

Dumping is mainly an issue for bypass patients, and even then, only about 1/3 of them dump. It's really really uncommon for sleeve patients.

Since I was a little kid, I've tended to have a weak stomach, get carsick, etc. I also have a ridiculously sensitive vagus nerve, and I tend to pass out for silly reasons. That being said, I have not had any problems because of surgery. I've only thrown up twice. Once was the day I came home from the hospital and tried to take my whole antidepressant for the first time in a coupe days on an empty stomach, which was just dumb of me. And the other time was just a weird combination of factors and was a fluke. Both times I was at home, no big deal.

I'm close to 5 months out from surgery, and I've traveled and have gone to plenty of restaurants. In the beginning, when I was introducing new foods, I'd try them at home first to make sure I could tolerate them. But at this point, I really don't worry about it. I just try to make good choices (i.e., not ordering deep-fried crap or chowing down on the bread basket). I've had food from Asian restaurants, Mexican, Indian, German, Italian, bar-and-grill type places, etc. I've spent a weekend camping out in the woods at a Revolutionary War reenactment and eating 18th-century-style food cooked over an open fire.

My sleeve has not limited me from doing all sorts of activities--in fact, it has made it possible for me to experience and enjoy life much more than I had been, because now I can physically do a lot more and am not tired and in pain all the time!

@@anna9/15, you have got to get some help... you got the surgery because you wanted a new lease on life, right? Don't let yourself spiral into this black hole of anxiety and depression! I say that as someone who also struggles against my own mental demons. Find a good therapist, and get on some meds (at least temporarily). When you're in the thick of a depressive episode, you lose sight of the fact that life does not have to be like this, that you don't have to be miserable, you don't have to be afraid all the time. But we are all here trying to tell you that it can be better--believe us!

The medicine is what im trying to do without because i come from a very addictive background and im scared of being hooked on something i can't get off of.since u cant just stop ur medicine cold turkey

But you can be weaned off of it. Isn't it exhausting being scared of things that have never happened to you? Why choose to be victim to your fears?

I got the meds and saw my therapist today

Good for you!! I hope you start feeling better soon!

Thanks ladies, cheers to happiness. .guess i cant hide or be to proud for help.

I wanted to add:

Based on your mention of a family history of addiction. Have you ever considered exploring 12-step recovery?

You might want to consider visiting some meetings of a recovery group like OA (for compulsive eaters), CODA (for Codependents), or Al-Anon (for families of alcoholics/substance abusers). A support group like one of these and/or a bariatric support group may help you to learn some new coping skills.

This might be something to talk to your therapist about.

Regret, depression & anxiety - I can't be in this alone

@@anna9/15

it must be hard having WLS with no one around to help/answer your questions

your medical team (nut/doc) "should" be around to help you

ask any and all questions

don't be shy or feel any question is "stupid"

talk to your doc immediately about the gerd

hopefully the "pill" they might suggest will work for you sooner than later

you'll read/get a lot of good info/suggestions/experiences on this board

listen to them all

but at the end of the day ONLY listen to your NUT or doc :)

Vitamin, eating, drinking problems/question should go to NUT

ask doc's office people to direct you to a support group

possibly your hospital has a group

need motivation??

your health will improve :rolleyes:

physical problem should decrease or disappear totally

you should feel better about yourself, more confident

the fact that your appearance will improve - that's not bad either :rolleyes:

remember the saying "keep your eyes on the prize" (something like that)

get some tissues and wipe your pretty eyes ;)

take care bud

big huggggs :rolleyes:

kathy

I attend the meetings for the group, im finally admitting i have a food addiction

Big steps, good for you!

Big steps, good for you!

Omg this medicine is the worse..been up all night panicking more now than before

I was going to mention that the meds often have a ramp up period. Did they advise you of that? I am not expert on this, but mood drugs are complicated in that you normally dose up over time and it may take a few tries to get it right. Don't panic, talk to the doc who prescribed to understand the adjustment period.

I was going to mention that the meds often have a ramp up period. Did they advise you of that? I am not expert on this, but mood drugs are complicated in that you normally dose up over time and it may take a few tries to get it right. Don't panic, talk to the doc who prescribed to understand the adjustment period.

Im waiting on the Dr call..i feel the dose is high and these New feelings are scaring me