Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Big Fat Fabulous Life - Do you watch it?

I catch this show every once in a while and it gives me different feelings. I was wondering who else watches this and what do you think of the show?

I've caught a few minutes here and there, and I'm like you...mixed feelings. Although I feel it's wonderful to accept yourself for who you are, at some point the scales tip (figuratively speaking) to morbid obesity just being unhealthy and really nothing to Celebrate or accept if you want to live a longer, healthier life. The "healthy fat" phenomenon we are seeing right now is a myth. There is no such thing. Your internal organs and joints are being literally crushed under the pressure of the extra weight. There is nothing healthy about that.

She's a doll, though, and I hope she finds a way to tackle her weight issue once and for all.

Now she is suppose to be dieting because she is horrified to find out she is pre-diabetic but on the last show she actually gained back 10 lbs she had lost so of course she fights with her roommate and buys a gallon of ice cream and starts eating it in the car.

She also got a job that was surely only given to her because of her Television show and when they call her to tell her that the uniform is khaki shorts and and a dark shirt. She then tells the man on the phone that she can't wear khaki shorts because she gets CHUB RUB. Of course this is a TV show but she really seems to think that is an ok way to talk to people she doesn't even know. I was so embarrassed for her.

Edited by MIMISAN

In addition to the PCOS she has she recently learned that her and her Father are Pre-diabetic, so her attitude is changing. She is trying to lose weight but is having a very difficult time of it. When she stepped on the scale this week and found out she gained 10 pounds and her room mate asked how she was doing, she got into a verbal fight with him and ran out of the house. At the gym the trainer tried to get her to jump rope and she was so frustrated she broke down and left. After that she went off screen and even her roommate had a hard time finding her. He found her in her car on in some parking lot eating ice cream out of a container. She cried and broke down, then after that he said something and they started laughing.

IMHO She seems to be fighting with herself and yet she really wants to get control of her life and be thin again.

Sorry if this is a repeat as I was writing it another message popped up.

I havent been sleeved yetnov 9th , but the first time i seen the show increid she reminds me sooo much of me me me!! Even her parents remind me of my aunt who raised me. For me ive always been fat and never agreed or been the one who says bugger is beautiful ive worked my ass off ths 9 months to raise 8000 for my surgery and i will lose it and hope,she does something also i love her showmtho

I like her and think she has a fabulous personality.

I do think she is kidding herself though. Life is not fabulous at almost 400 lbs.

The health risks and physical limitations are just overwhelming at her size.

I wish her all the best ????

It's too scripted for me. All the aches and pains she has makes me feel miserable. Having a friend drive 5 hours to "take care of her body" by giving her massages was a bit too much for me. I think that makes obese people look lazy and helpless but then she dances. How "fabulous" can your life be when you can't even take care of your own body without assistance? I'm calling BS! I don't know I just can't get into it. I've never been one for the overly "diva" persona. Not my flavor. :)

Elode Yes I agree i couldn't believe that she even asked and that her friend drove 5 hours to give her a massage. I also thought it was pretty lousy of the bride to cancel after one lesson the dance lessons Whitney was trying to teach her, that the bride asked her to provide.

I really like it. I love how open she is with her weight, and nonchalant about how it negatively affects her life. She has more courage living her life "as is" than I ever did.

She also hasn't been overweight all her life and hasn't really been exposed to the long term health consequences yet. And she's young. It was pretty easy for me to work around my weight when I was younger. Eventually it will catch up to her, as it does to everyone. She's just not *there* yet.

I absolutely adore her parents, especially her mother. ????

I watched the first season and swore I wasn't going to watch the second. But, here I am responding to a post about a show I can't look away from.

Somewhere, deep down, Whitney seems to be a young woman who is trying to learn to love and accept herself. Her message of self-acceptance and anti-bullying is timely and laudable.

Unfortunately, her immaturity, need for attention, and self-absorption get in the way of what she wants to accomplish.

She is willingly on a reality TV show, but all I see is someone who is in a lot of pain and literally starved for attention. Her choices and decisions are not very wise. Plus, she happens to be loud and obnoxious, not qualities I admire in a person.

Some examples of things that annoy me:

-Living with her parents at age 30 and behaving like she is 12.

-Accepting a job she knows she cannot physically perform.

-Demanding that her friends drop everything to cater to her whims.

-Whining about how awful it is that she has PCOS and is pre-Diabetic (as if she is the only person in the world to have health issues).

She doesn't even seem to be a very good dancer or dance teacher.

She is also in serious denial about her eating habits and food addiction.

My opinion: she really needs some serious therapy.

Of course, I still watch.

Edited by ASUgrad

I don't know how I feel about it. I watched a kind of look back episode and I was intrigued. I'd like to do a mental health assessment on her. I bet it would be fascinating.

The oddest part is her best guy friend. She says they love each other but are dating other people. Were they ever together?

I've watched and wondered if she had ever considered WLS???

Me, too. She is seeing doctors at Duke, so I assume that someone may have mentioned it to her as an option.

I know that for me, it took a very long time for me to be willing to consider WLS. Most of the conversations I had about it were in the context of a therapist appointment or a group therapy session, though. Unless she is undergoing some counseling or therapy that we don't see on the show, she may not know much about it.

I watched the first season and swore I wasn't going to watch the second. But, here I am responding to a post about a show I can't look away from.

Somewhere, deep down, Whitney seems to be a young woman who is trying to learn to love and accept herself. Her message of self-acceptance and anti-bullying is timely and laudable.

Unfortunately, her immaturity, need for attention, and self-absorption get in the way of what she wants to accomplish.

She is willingly on a reality TV show, but all I see is someone who is in a lot of pain and literally starved for attention. Her choices and decisions are not very wise. Plus, she happens to be loud and obnoxious, not qualities I admire in a person.

Some examples of things that annoy me:

-Living with her parents at age 30 and behaving like she is 12.

-Accepting a job she knows she cannot physically perform.

-Demanding that her friends drop everything to cater to her whims.

-Whining about how awful it is that she has PCOS and is pre-Diabetic (as if she is the only person in the world to have health issues).

She doesn't even seem to be a very good dancer or dance teacher.

She is also in serious denial about her eating habits and food addiction.

My opinion: she really needs some serious therapy.

Of course, I still watch.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I still watch but cringe when she blames her weight on PCOS. I also struggle with that syndrome. While I fully blame PCOS for my chin hairs, I realize my obesity is because of the food I have consumed.