Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did surgery help anyone with anxiety, sleep apnea and all round confidence and did anyone feel like they weren't loving life and now they are?

Being in control and losing weight does do wonders for your confidence. But--losing weight does not solve all of life's issues. It is not a fix-all. It is so important to have a support network and also always a good idea to be able to talk things out. Have you done your psych evaluation? It is really good to talk to your psychiatrist. This is a very emotional journey and having help is invaluable. Good Luck!

I can speak for using a C-pap. After about a month I ditched mine, I do not snore anymore and I sleep great. I think mostly due to the freedom of not having to deal with that anymore.

Within a month of surgery I made an appointment with my sleep doctor to get an adjustment. Now I use an automatic C-Pap that automatically adjusts the pressure.

I do feel more hopeful and optimistic. Some of it is probably due to the fact that I am becoming more mobile and active and can exercise more. Spending the summer outside in the pool does wonders for my emotional state.

I highly recommend working through this book before the surgery: http://www.amazon.com/Emotional-First-Aid-Kit-Practical/dp/0976852659/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1436729032&sr=8-13&keywords=bariatric+book

This surgery is a tool, not a magic wand. You still have to do the work. It's a very powerful tool. And yes the weight loss has got me to where my sleep apnea is gone. And my confidence increased. And I'm digging all the new things I can do. But the GSA (Gnawing Sense of Anxiety) going in, and that's why I'm glad I did so much work getting a realistic view of what challenges I would face in the process, getting acceptance in my own heart.

Ultimately I did this for my health and quality of life. You need to find your own reasons.

I didn't have sleep apnea, but I do not snore anymore. I was never depressed, but I do have a better outlook on my own life now.

Cured sleep apnea; I feel way more confidence about how I look but in no way does losing weight "fix all". In my case anxiety actually amped up for awhile after I got to maintenance. I theorize that obesity and overeating were kind of a"mood stabilizer" for me... after it was gone I had to learn to feel it and deal with it!

Did surgery help anyone with anxiety, sleep apnea and all round confidence and did anyone feel like they weren't loving life and now they are?

Cured sleep apnea; I feel way more confidence about how I look but in no way does losing weight "fix all". In my case anxiety actually amped up for awhile after I got to maintenance. I theorize that obesity and overeating were kind of a"mood stabilizer" for me... after it was gone I had to learn to feel it and deal with it!

I totally realise that it's no quick fix, and yes on this pre op diet you theory is so real for me to, I start to think of the past and things I never used to just because I'm not able to eat wich worry a me a bit I know this is no magic wand and it's hard work, my primary reason why I'm so big is eating till I'm fully or sick so in that way surgery would help me a lot, I have some

Emotional obstacles that I know will come after surgery even now but I'm so ready it's better then being depressed, so funny In my head I always saw myself differently to how big I actually was call it delusion or what have you, did you have pre jitters pre op about if you were ready but you knew were and needed surgery?

@@JudeaJordon The term is dismorphia when you don't see yourself accurately. It is pretty common - but especially among the obese even AFTER they lose weight.

When i was over 300# I knew I was big, but when I looked in the mirror, I didn't see myself AS BIG as I really was. Photos always shocked me (still do actually) as that is the only time i would see my true size. Once I got to goal, it took awhile for me to see myself in a balanced and accurate way too as a normal sized person.

I do think that losing weight will help deal with the "blues" related to not being about to move well, physical discomfort etc. but if you are actually depressed I wonder if seeking treatment might not be a bad idea. What I have noticed is a significant number of people BECOME depressed after WLS. It is like they still have all the stressors of life, but their old pal "endless eating" is no longer a viable option. I suspect it is even worse for people that are harboring a dream that losing weight WILL make them feel good emotionally.

I had gotten to a slim weight in my 20s and really really suffered emotionally (no support, etc etc) so I was pretty wise to the fact that slim=happy. Happy and content comes from an internal place and frankly is not all that related to your appearance.