Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can anyone compared RNY to c-section?

I've had two c-sections. The recovery from the first one was pretty rough and I wasn't okay even walking up my street until 2+ weeks post-op. I think I cried when they made me walk down the hall in the hospital! My second one had a MUCH easier and faster recovery where I was walking around on day 2 with little discomfort.

Can anyone compare the two surgeries as far as pain and recovery?

Life after c-section is also insane since there's a new human depending on you for life plus the crazy hormonal swings. ???? I'm sure RNY has its own mental challenges to push through!

Edited by VirginiaDee

My 2 c-sections were full cut. The RNY was faster healing. The only pain for the RNY was the gas pain. You just have to walk and deal with it. The good thing is this surgery is about YOU, not about a baby. You get a lot of attention, people want to know how YOU are feeling.

My 2 c-sections were full cut. The RNY was faster healing. The only pain for the RNY was the gas pain. You just have to walk and deal with it. The good thing is this surgery is about YOU, not about a baby. You get a lot of attention, people want to know how YOU are feeling.

Good point :) thank you! I forced myself to move after both c-sections and I'm determined to do the same for this surgery. Thanks again!

I was up walking as soon as I could feel my legs again with my c-section and I was up walking a couple of hours after my RYN. I would say the gas pains are the worst about the RYN and the only thing that helps is walking that hall every hr. The worst thing about my csection were the staples. After you get the gas out its smooth sailing with the RYN. My pain tolerance might be better than others, I didn't even take a pain pill with the RYN but I did with a c-section. I think you'll feel better with the RYN.

I had a laproscopic hysterectomy that was a walk in the park compared to my four c-sections, and I never thought any of those were that bad.

My husband had laproscopic RNYGB and swore like a sailor the entire trip home from the hospital three days later. He thinks I'll be ready to kill someone by the time we drive the three hours home, even though I have never had that problem through a lot of other stuff.

I have a feeling he was just a total newbie to the world of cut and paste. :)

I had 2 c-sections. One was horrible. I was in the hospital a week, and didn't walk well for a month. One was better. My RNY I was up walking in an hr, and went home the next day, and was at work in 3. Gas pain sucks. Just keep on trucking and it get easier each time. At least there are no diapers or middle of the night feedings with this though. ha

I had 2 c-sections. One was horrible. I was in the hospital a week, and didn't walk well for a month. One was better. My RNY I was up walking in an hr, and went home the next day, and was at work in 3. Gas pain sucks. Just keep on trucking and it get easier each time. At least there are no diapers or middle of the night feedings with this though. ha

ha! So true! :) Yeah, I had about the same c-section experience with the first and second. I remember trying to walk up the street at two weeks post-op with my first kid - and I was in so much pain by the time I got back. I probably walked 75 yards total and it was just too much. I was walking more than that the day after my second kid was born.

When I had my gall bladder removed, I had really bad gas pain. I had to spend the night at the hospital due to my reaction to the anesthesia and my nurse was so amazing. When I complained about the gas pain, she put pillows around me which took the pressure off of the right spots - it totally eliminated the gas pain! If I could only remember what she did! :)

I must be a tough cookie or was just highly motivated to get out of the small hospital my babies were delivered at and to THEM in neonatal intensive care 40 minutes away (they were transported, I was not... bad scenario.. ) I was discharged 2 days post of C-section with twins and walking like crazy through hospital to be with them as much as I could. Pain and recovery I truly think was made better by all that walking, insanely enough. 2nd C-section. In on a Monday, out on Thursday, conducted open house at our home on a Saturday. Roux en Y 20 days ago and it was A LOT less painful than either. Gas pain and I had it in the shoulder was the worst part. Again walk walk walk, toot, toot , toot and you'll feel better soon! Good luck :)

I'm feeling a lot better after all these. I've got it made. :)

I was up walking as soon as I could feel my legs again with my c-section and I was up walking a couple of hours after my RYN. I would say the gas pains are the worst about the RYN and the only thing that helps is walking that hall every hr. The worst thing about my csection were the staples. After you get the gas out its smooth sailing with the RYN. My pain tolerance might be better than others, I didn't even take a pain pill with the RYN but I did with a c-section. I think you'll feel better with the RYN.

very similar experience with me, too. the worst rny pain was the gas, i only took pills for my dehydration headache. and my baby was only 13 months at the time, so i couldn't avoid not lifting her for weeks. we managed.

very similar experience with me, too. the worst rny pain was the gas, i only took pills for my dehydration headache. and my baby was only 13 months at the time, so i couldn't avoid not lifting her for weeks. we managed.

Thank you so much! Hooboy, My kids will be 2 and almost 5 at the time of my surgery. I'll have to let the 2 year old be her independent self (I may be guilty of not wanting her to get big!) and assist vs. do things for her :)

Thank you so much! Hooboy, My kids will be 2 and almost 5 at the time of my surgery. I'll have to let the 2 year old be her independent self (I may be guilty of not wanting her to get big!) and assist vs. do things for her :)

girl I'm still crying every time i box up her old clothes. she's an only, so i have to take advantage!

The cesarean cut hurts way more, but the gas pain from the rny hurts more. So I'd say about even Steven!!!

I would NOT compare the two, that is how different I feel they are. A c-section (personally) is much more invasive and takes longer to heal from. This I feel is due to the fact that you are actually cut to remove a life from your womb. Hell, I was in the hospital three days after surgery and could barely move without a lot of pain. I could barely get up off the couch or in and out of bed for at 9-10 days after my c-section.

Ten days after my RNY, I was back to work, off all pain meds, driving, walking a mile and doing most of the housework.

This was so much better than my c-section! I had terrible pain for quite a while with c-section, with my rny I used the pain pills the 1st three days and that's it.