Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all! During my EGD it was determined that I have Barrett's esophagus. I don't go back to the surgeon to discuss until right before surgery (which has not yet been scheduled due to insurance switching). Does anyone have experience with Barrett's and the sleeve, should I switch to the bypass? I don't want to regret my choice in surgery.

Most surgeons won't perform the sleeve on anyone with Barrett's. Gastric bypass is the preferred surgery for someone with that condition, from what I gather. However, you definitely want to discuss it with your surgeon. You may want to call your surgeon's office and see if you can make an appointment to come in earlier to discuss your options based on this new diagnosis.

If you have your heart set on the sleeve and your surgeon will do a sleeve with your diagnosis of Barret's you must also see if your insurance would allow for a sleeve to bypass revision in case reflux gets to bad. Most insurances will only cover 1 procedure per lifetime check the fine print. My surgeon wouldn't do a sleeve on me because of my diagnosis of Barret's so I had the bypass on the 15th of June. Hope this helps. Best of Luck.

The possibility of GERD issues being exacerbated with the sleeve is why I changed my mind and am having the bypass. But then again a lot of people who are sleeved don't have an issue at all after surgery, while some others are converting from sleeve to bypass. I believe there's even a separate section for that, not sure.

If your surgeon gives you a choice you'll have to weigh the ultimate pros and cons.

If he won't do a sleeve and that's what you are determined to have you might have to switch doctors.

It's a very subjective decision.

I agree with the above posts. Barret's esophagus is a contraindication for Sleeve Gastrectomy. If I were in your shoes, I'd opt for Gastric Bypass.

I developed Gerd with my sleeve and luckily have not yet damaged my esophagus. I am being revised to the bypass. I hope it is a solution.

Have u always had Gerd? Or was it the silent type? Or Barrett's minus the Gerd?

Have u always had Gerd? Or was it the silent type? Or Barrett's minus the Gerd?

I have has GERD for approx 15 years. I never took any PPI or anything until I was diagnosed in May. I will definitely talk to the surgeon about it, I just started researching what this could mean for surgery. While the sleeve was my first choice, it is certainly not a game changer if I need to go a different route. I have come to far to give up over one hiccup.

I also wanted the sleeve as a first choice because of my wife's great success with hers and the fact it is the lesser evasive surgery of the two. But since I have a diagnosis Barrett's the sleeve was out for me. When the weight loss center nurse told me my surgeon probably won't do a sleeve on me because of the Barrett's that's the same attitude I had, it wasn't the procedure, it was the benefit from the procedure I was looking for. Best of Luck...

Wishing You the best! GERD is no fun. I pray that the bypass resolves this for me and you and others with this issue.

Had an EGD done prior to surgical decision. Had been on gerd meds several years. After EGD my doctor said I was ok to have the sleeve. No problems so far but he did up my meds to 2x per day. I am at 4 months out.

V

My husband is pre-surgery and was told he had the worst case of of Barrett's that doc had ever seen. He has also had an EGD and had been on meds for several yrs. Following his EGD he has now been told that there is no sign of Barrett's only a Baikal hernia. He has also been advised to have the sleeve.

As someone who had no GERD problems prior to surgery, and developed severe GERD and Barretts after the sleeve (2.5 years ago), I would RUN away from the sleeve procedure if you had problems with GERD.

Hey everyone,

I just had my first endoscopy today, which was a lot like a "search and recovery" mission prior to getting sleeved this November.

Both my dad and brother have Barrett's so the doctor biopsied my esophagus to determine if I have the disease as well. Meanwhile, I am absolutely freaking out reading these posts. My surgeon is aware of the hiatal hernia that was discovered and the testing for Barrett's but feels comfortable proceeding. Also, my doctor today said that I have no visible damage to my esophagus and should be able to manage my acid reflux by continuing to take my generic Prilosec prescription.

I'm young, not severely obese and hoping that these factors will mean a faster recovery time and minimal post-op problems. Has anyone else been in my shoes? I just have a gut feeling that the biopsy will come back positive so I want to prepare myself for what is next. Thanks friends.

-L

Edited by back2me1987

I wouldnt do sleeve with having GERD. I had GERD pre-surgery with having the lap-band. I was told bypass is my only option. Which was fine by me. Having GERD is no way to live. Once I had my bypass it has been gone for good. Good luck with your decision.

I wouldnt do sleeve with having GERD. I had GERD pre-surgery with having the lap-band. I was told bypass is my only option. Which was fine by me. Having GERD is no way to live. Once I had my bypass it has been gone for good. Good luck with your decision.

Definitely not what I WANTED to hear but I truly appreciate your response. It looks like I have some big decisions to make....