Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello. My name is Tessa and I am a newbie to BariatricPal.

My sleeve was 6/12/15. So I am currently 4 weeks post op.

Things were going great until I introduced soft foods this week. I'm up 5 pounds since my weigh in Thursday.

I don't understand. I'm eating SMALLER. Why am I gaining? I understand that eating and drinking to together will do that. I wait 20 minutes after drinking and wait 30 after eating to drink again.

Could it be the sodium? Not all of my food is low in sodium. I have been so hungry that I haven't cared to check.

Could it be sugar? I drink 98% Water but will have organic lemonade every once in a while.

Please help. I am having major regrets about this surgery. I didn't have it to still gain weight. It is so depressing.

Thanks,

Tessa

Even though I'm banded Tessa, I'm responding because I can understand your concerns. Let me assure you that after introducing food after what I presume has so far been a liquid diet will absolutely cause a weight gain. Please remember that this is a lifetime change and gains and stalls are just part of it. You didn't gain the weight overnight and you won't lose it that way either.

You should pay attention to sodium and sugar as too much can cause weight gain. But some salt and sugar won't derail you. The only thing that will derail you is worrying about every loss and gain.

Do yourself a favor and stay away from the scale. Just pay attention to what you are eating. Choose wisely...protein first and watch the carbs, sugar, and sodium. Exercise. Move around. It will make you feel like you accomplished something and will improve your mood.

Pay attention to how your clothes fit and those non scale victories. Before you know it, you will notice that you are looking and feeling better. Take it from me...you'll get there. I was banded 2 1/2 years ago and my journey was also not linear. Yet, I still managed to lose an amazing amount of weight and have a normal life as well. Good luck and keep us posted on your status.

• There are several options for drinking stuff that isn't Water, but I would stay away from drinks with sugar in them. Try decaffeinated iced tea, crystal light, mio, true lemon, etc.
Could you be about to head into a menstrual cycle? That can seriously mess with the numbers on the scale. Just something to keep in mind as you go forward.I can't say that I've ever watched my sodium. I mainly focus on the Protein and carbs in my food. During the soft food stage it seemed like most of the foods they allowed did have a higher carb content (refried Beans, yogurt, etc.) than the foods in the shake stage or in the stages after it when you can start eating more straight meat and cheese. Are you tracking your food? My fitness pal (MFP) tracks all the important stuff for you when you enter in your foods. It can make it easier for you to see where things are going wrong (if anything is).I agree with the other post. It can take a little while for the your body to adjust and for the scale to show progress. Even if you stay off the scale, I would definitely start tracking if you haven't already just to get an idea of where you're at on a typical day with carbs, calories, and protein.Great job on drinking/eating separately!You'll do great, just give your body some time. You're also in that range of 2-4 weeks where the scale gets weird anyway.

Are you getting all of your liquids in? I have found that when I become laxed in getting 64 oz of Water in...I either stall or gain. Besure you are getting all of your liquid in and if possible more.

You are only 4 weeks out, and your body is still healing. Your weight will fluctuate in the beginning because your body is still trying to recover. I think by your sixth week, you will be fine. Just try to focus on Protein and Water, as they will be your best friend in this journey and your weight will fall. You're just going through the healing process unfortunately right now.

First off - BREATHE!!
Second - go give yourself a bit hug.

It's not uncommon to gain a little when you go from liquids to soft foods. Be sure you're getting in your liquids, be sure you're getting in your Protein, and be sure you're moving! Those three things are key components.

If you're still concerned, you might talk to your doctor or your nutritionist and they can give you some good insight on what's going on.

@@Tess White I agree with the other posters here, you shouldn't be drinking anything with sugar in it. This is lifestyle change, and this soon after surgery, you just can't go back to those old habits, and putting sugar into your body. It's going to make you gain.

Carbs=sugar and sugar makes us fat.

My best advice is....

Measure, weigh, count, and write EVERYTHING down you eat and drink.

You'll get a clear picture of where you are going right, and where you are going wrong.

I was told people who record and measure all their food, are more successful after wls. Exactly the reason I do it, and I know it's a pain, but it helps, and holds me accountable for everything that goes in my mouth.

Don't estimate your portions. That can make a difference between 1/4 Cup and 1/2 Cup. BIG difference in the numbers happens. Know how many Proteins, calories, and carbs you are putting into your body, and remember.

Protein first, then veggies. Carbs last. And you shouldn't have room for carbs, if you eat your Protein and veggies first.

If your issue is head hunger, that's something that needs to be worked out in therapy.

I wish you luck with everything.

Do what the others here have suggested for a few weeks THEN get the scales out and weigh yourself. I know it's hard not to hop on and off the scales, but this may be one of the times that you need to. You have been through a huge operation and your body needs time to heal and 'sort itself out'. Drink, eat Protein and exercise. Oh and well done !!!

Hugs

Kate

Thank you so much everyone, for the wonderful encouragement. I feel a bit better.

Are you tracking and weighing food? I use my fitness pal. My surgery was June 8th so I am right around same stage. I am getting my Protein and fluids in and trying to limit my carbs. Not as low as some here. I usually am between 40 and 80 grams a day. I have been in a stall this week. Don't worry too much. I know that's hard not to do. I went up 2 pounds one day then went back down and then kept losing.