Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starving on post op day 4!

I had my lap band 4 days ago. I wasn't hungry at all over the weekend but when I came back to work today, for some reason I'M STARVING! I'm doing my best to get the Protein Shakes and baby food down but I feel like I just want to keep eating. HELP!

Perfectly normal. I ate a lot of cream Soups post op. I also ran foods through the blender. As long as your NUT says it's okay, experiment with various full liquids. Protein held me longer. Good luck! You'll really appreciate your first fill when you get it!

Thanks! The only things that I've been told I can have until next Friday are 2-3 Protein shakes (4-6 oz.), broth, baby food, sugar free popsicles and sugar free pudding. I'm so sick of vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry shakes. I wish there were more variety!

This really is the hardest part of the process...the time just before and after surgery. Once the band is working as it's supposed to, and you see the results of your hard work, it will all be worth it.

Unfortunately there is no help. We all have endured what you're going through right now. Please don't give up and keep following your doctor's orders. It will be so worth it in the end. Congrats to banded life.

I agree with Lady VS - there is nothing to do but keep breathing and getting through each day. You are on the other side now, and all that is left is to slooooooowly get back a solid diet. My gentle advice - do NOT rush it. Hungry or not, your stomach and stoma are swollen. You will experience hunger - this is normal - just enjoy the savoury Soups (broth, etc) - they make a nice break after the sweetness of the shakes!

Hang in there and follow your surgeon's plan. Trust that it is the best thing for you as you heal! (And watch some pounds melt off - rather a lovely bonus!) You will eventually have your surgery 'settle in' and you will be eating solid food in no time. Just not so much of it.

Awesome! Keep us posted and congrats on your decision to be banded! I'm 5 months in and never been happier. :)

Jodi, I am 6 days Post Op and just returned to work as well. I did not experience lots of hunger until today. I believe the change from resting at home to working (albeit a desk job) increased my hunger. My solve for the rest of the week is to increase my Protein Shakes and telling myself to push through in order to heal. Good luck to you.

Just a hint freeze the Jello or pudding sugar free of course, & stick with the sugar free popsicles & shake it will be so worth it ,for me even almost 3 years out I keep in mind what I went through & how much it cost , or things I was not able to do but can now , follow your Surgeons orders & before you know it you will love the choice you made to be banded.

Hard, isn't it!! One thing to perhaps ask your doctor. I didn't like Protein shakes, nothing violent, just not things I liked. And baby food is ridiculously bland. In the early stages, the key thing is the consistency of the food. So, with my own doctor's blessing, I never had shakes. Right from about three days post-op, I made my own savoury version, adjusted to be the correct consistency. Getting thicker as I advanced my diet.

Basically, I made (but you could buy) a Soup (any flavour). I added a can of chick peas for Protein and then blended until totally smooth. Lots of fiavour, my own choice of taste.

Thank you to everyone for your advice and encouragement! It doesn't help that I'm an extremely picky eater, which has made this more difficult for me. During my pre op diet, I survived on shakes, chicken, almonds, 1/2 tablespoon of Peanut Butter, and an apple every day. A couple of days before my surgery, it took everything I had to just get down a shake without gagging. It sounds like KateP and I have a very similar issue. I'm going to contact my doctor in the morning and see if there is anything I can change up this weekend. I'll keep you posted! :)

I didn't like the shakes either -- too thicky or something. I was able to have Miso Soup, which I really liked, and the surgeon cleared me for egg drop Soup which I really, really liked. Like others, I was so sick of sweet and needed real flavor. Also those boxed Soups in the health food section of the regular grocery store really worked for me -- Pacific brand potato leek in particular.

Meanwhile, congratulations on your surgeries and best wishes with this exciting new chapter in your lives! @@Jodi G 2 @b4iam40