Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggling to slow down and chew

Hi

I am 5 weeks post op and started eating solid food just 5 days ago. In those 5 days I have really struggled slowing down and chewing properly. I start off really trying but then old habits soon kick in fast and before I know it the food is stuck (happened 4 times in last 5 days) and I am bringing it back up again.

Thing is, I have always eaten so very fast and never chewed food properly. It feels so unnatural and near impossible to slow down and chew!

I don't know how I am going to do this. Is this normal, do I just have to keep at it? Am I damaging myself by doing what I am doing? So concerned and feel quite hopeless. :(

You will learn!!! It can be difficult - most of us were used to shovelling food down.

It is a cause for concern if you still bring food back when you really are chewing well. But otherwise it is part of the learning process. Try to remember! Too many stuck episodes can do harm.

I don't know your eating style, but a good way is to cut a very small piece, put it in your mouth, put your knife and fork down, chew, swallow, pause, cut another piece etc.. It won't always be that laborious! Just till you learn.

So so normal, and you will get the hang of it. If you are anything like me, the thought of getting food stuck and bringing it up again fills me with dread and I've learned to do everything in my power to not let it happen. It is hard in the beginning but you will get there. Good luck xx

Besides cutting tiny bites and putting your fork down between bites, here's a tip that works for me. Set your phone alarm for five minutes. When it goes off, get up from the table, go to the bathroom, wash your hands, and then come back and resume your meal. That short interruption in my meal helps my brain receive the signal that I've eaten something. It gives a chance for the ravenous hunger to be sated. For some reason, this really works for me, particularly in a restaurant. But I do it at home as well.

Hope this helps.

After 6 years after surgery I still forget to chew sometimes but my band starts giving me a signal which reminds me.

This was so hard for me and in the early days I had to do some practicing with the clock. I had my small dish of food and a tiny fork or spoon. A bite, then I made myself put down the implement. I couldn't believe my resistance to this! Then I'd try to chew and keep the food in my mouth for a long time -- feel the food. Look back at the clock and two seconds have passed, lol. Anyway, I'd let myself pick up the fork or spoon again at thirty seconds and then make myself pick it up again with nothing in it. I still do this sometimes -- just to feel the tines and fake out people at a dinner party. The practicing was a little tedious but mostly it was hilarious to discover just how hard it was for me to wait even when I wasn't really hungry. I got a lot out of those long, long minutes and found that after twenty minutes -- twenty bites -- I was full. It helped me find my signal for satiety. You will get there -- we all went through this and it sounds like you're doing really well. Congratulations on your surgery and choosing your healthy future. It's a wonderful thing to be really showing up in our lives.

Thanks guys!

I am now 2 weeks post op and still struggling. I will give your suggestions a try!

On a happy note I am not putting the weight I lost back on and actually have continued to lose weight! I have my first band on 4th June.

I just hope I am better at this once the band has been filled!

@@Carrie81 practice practice practice. When you get the bad filled you are going to encounter more of this issue more often, and that can cause some damage. So, my advice is let your Dr. know what's going on, and continue to take your time when eating.

My husband also had this issue of fast eating prior to surgery, he's a military fire fighter so for a large part of his life it has been rush rush rush because there was always an emergency or fire to put out.

He has since learned to take it slow or suffer the consequences and no one likes that. Trust me from time to time it's going to happen. Sometimes I get so thirsty and chug my Water too fast only to have it come flying back out much to the chagrin of the person sitting across from me!! I did that once with coffee in my car and well I was pretty upset at myself!!!

When I feel like I am in a rush, I try to breathe. Just stop and breathe. A nice deep breath, clears my head, lowers my blood pressure, calms me down, refocuses me and I can continue. The best part of it...no one knows anything is wrong, It doesn't raise attention, it's just a nice deep cleansing breath. Give it a try....now doesn't that feel great?

*just took a deep cleansing breath*

Yes, it feels good.