Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I am 1 week post surgery and doing ok. However I have this sharp pain at times to the left (my left looking down) of my belly button. What pains should I still be experiencing? Other then this pain the nausea and gas pains are gone and I feel good.

I also have had trouble adding calories to my diet. I am getting Protein in but not calories. Any ideas?

Glad you are feeling good! I also felt really good by the end of the first week.

The largest incision on the left was my sorest one. I believe they do the most maneuvering in that incision and it is the one they remove the stomach through. It was the last one to retain any soreness also... it had some soreness for weeks. As long as you have no fever or abnormal redness/inflammation it is most likely just the internal stitches, nerves and muscles healing.

As for calories, you wont really be getting many until you start working purees and solids into your diet. My surgeon had no calorie goal to reach the first weeks... just getting in all my fluids and Protein. My 3 Protein drinks and liquids put me around 400-500 calories at that stage. Are you on Clear Liquids? Are you supposed to be getting a certain amount of calories? You could always have a Gatorade or some juice if you need get a certain amount.

That's good to know. I am right at 600 calories as well with Protein Shakes and liquids. He didn't really say but my Journey book says about 1000. That's impossible I think at this stage. I am not on all Clear Liquids because my shakes are not clear but other then that I do Water, Jello and clear or creamy Soups with no pieces. Can't wait to start the purée stage to get some variety. :)

I believe that starts in my 3rd week.

Thanks for the advice. I'm glad I found this forum.

The pain you are feeling is completely normal. I had pain from my back to the navel, to the upper left hand incision point (that is where they pull the excess stomach out). After 2 months I was completely pain free. REMEMBER to be careful with lifting, bending, eating things you should not. And remember to take your Vitamins and your acid reducers. If you do all that you will ease that pain, YOU will be fine in no time. It just seems like forever when you are in pain. Holding a pillow to your stomach and putting a heating pad on it will help ease your discomfort. Relax you are on the way to a healthier you! :-)

On the subject of calories, DON'T stress them, one week out you should be mostly on Protein shakes and purees if your doctor allows it, mine made me stay on fluids for 2 weeks to avoid damage to the pouch. Water is your best friend, and you can flavor it with sugar free drinks, minute maid, kool aid, for sweetener you can add Splenda or Stevia. One thing too that will help you a lot is walking, it helps strengthen those muscles that were manipulated. My surgery was in Feb. and all this is fresh in my mind.

I had a drain and it was painful in the same area you are talking about. Once I got the drain out it was smooth sailing

Hi all. The pain is normal. It's the muscle layer under the stomach healing. It will be fine. I have had my sleeve 5 years now and all the incisions are almost invisible.

Just so you are all aware. I experiance what feels like a Charlie horse on my left side in that area from time to time. It can happen when bending over or taking a bath or just over use of that muscle. Others who have had WLS I have spoken too all experiance this same pain. You can feel the muscle tightening up.

To avoid it do these things.

Take plenty potassium ( I use supplements because I am allergic to potatoes) and avicados taste horrible to me. And bananas don't provide enough for me. I also take a magnesium supplement.

I don't use the bariatric Vits. They are to expensive and don't supply enough minerals and Vits. So my dr has me on supplements needed per my blood tests. But just be aware of this shoukd you experiance this 3-6 months down the line.

I just had my sleeve operation on 5/20/2015 and I'm hanging in there. My doctor recommended 2 Oz of Fluid every 20 minutes and 2 Protein Shakes a day. I tried doing that but I felt bloated and uncomfortable. I still drink the two shakes a day 2oz at a time along with Water and chicken broth. I just can't seem to do it every 20 minutes.