Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is your work-out regimen?

How often do you work out? Do you have weekly goals? What type of exercise do you do? Walking? Swimming? Strength? Cardio? How does it work for you? Does it help with weight-loss slows/stalls? I want to know everything!

@@heynowkc -- Pre-surgery I had been walking for 25-30 mins. on my lunch break at work, which I continued post-surgery when I returned to work. Then my surgeon told me I needed to ramp up my exercise in order to continue losing my weight.

On a side note, several days after my sleeve surgery, I encountered some complications that put me back into the hospital for 19 days, during which I lost about 30 lbs. and a lot of muscle and strength. Just stepping up a curb I required assistance. After discharge, and once I finished my outpatient physical therapy, I joined PlanetFitness so I could continue working on rebuilding my strength, balance, and muscle via their circuit training area. Once I started feeling stronger and getting some of my energy back, I then added time on the elliptical to my routine. All that said, here is my current weekly routine:

Monday-Friday (more days than not) -- walking 25 mins. on average

2-4 times per week -- 15-22 mins. on the elliptical

2-3 times per week -- several strength training exercises on machines/or circuit training (a day inbetween each session which is recommended

Until I started working out at the gym, my weight loss had stalled. Even when the scale wasn't moving, i was still seeing changes in how my clothes fit confirming that I was at least losing inches if not pounds. At times like this, you have to be patient and keep following the rules.

I hope this helps and encourage you in whatever form of physical activity you choose. Remember: This is for LIFE (literally). For every pound we lose, we are that much healthier.

Got with a trainer, and he worked up a circuit training program for me that incorporated a full body workout using weights and resistance. Worked well for about 6 weeks building muscle and losing weight, but then I hit a MAJOR stall, and decided to mix things up.

Now I do cardio on the treadmill for 30-40 minutes (working up to running half of that...I'm pretty proud of my self, I've always HATED running) and then hit the weights after. That broke the stall, and I'm building some killer muscle tone. Still have some sagging, but I figure the only thing that will fix that stuff is surgery. :P

I suppose it all depends on what level of fitness your are. I am by no means a fitness nut, but am happy to say I've come a long way and actually enjoy exercise now! Who would have thunk it???

I'll be 3 weeks post op tomorrow 4/1 and have been doing just cardio. However starting yesterday I started this routine my friend who is a trainer came up with for me. I'm starting off light weight and will build up once I knock the dust off so to speak.

Monday

• Flat bench
  • Dumbell row
  • Lat pull down
  • Incline DB press
  • Cardio

Tuesday

• Deadlifft
  • Good mornings
  • Crunches
  • Cardio

Wednesday

• Overhead press
  • Curls
  • Tricep extensions
  • Cardio

Thursday

• Leg press
  • Leg extensions
  • Leg curl
  • Cardio

Friday & Saturday - Active rest days

• Cardio or just going out and being active

Sunday

• Rest Day

Interesting

Thank you guys so much for all this information. This making my journey so much easier. I am at the very beginning, haven got my approval letter yet, not far away. Only a couple of weeks and I will be ready to sit down with the doctor.

I am 22 months out and I am at goal. I do weights 5 days a week with a 10 minute treadmill or elliptical warm-up:

Monday: Shoulders

Tuesday: biceps and Triceps

Wednesday: back

Thursday: chest

Friday: legs and gluteus

On weekends (my "off" days) I'll choose a day to run or do a CrossFit type of workout.

However, my first year post-op was cardio intensive, 4-6 days a week. Now that I'm a clean eater (90-95% of the time) and because I burn plenty of calories during my weightlifting sessions, cardio isn't a must for me anymore.

post-176150-14278275195876_thumb.jpg

Edited by NewSetOfCurves

I do cardio 5 times a week. (3 miles on eliptical or treadmill or both). Weights (which I hate with a passion) two times a week when I am up to it. Nothing fancy with the weights. I need to work on being more consistent and develop a weight training plan. I have found with working out everyday by Friday I am usually dead tired though.

pre-surgery - walk an hour a day, weights 3 times a week.

1st month post surgery - walk 60-90 minutes a day

2nd month post surgery added 30 minutes elliptical, light weights 6 times a week

3rd month on added 10% more weight and or resistance each week

4th month started couch to 5K program, so weights 3 times a week alternating arms/legs with 30 minutes cardio and 5K training 3 times per week.

I walked a lot prior to surgery - I tried to get into the best shape I could

Since surgery, I have done different things - I need to switch it up to keep things interesting...

Turbulence training (planks, push ups, squats, etc)

Hiking

Walking

Gym - elliptical, treadmill, rower,

biking

Hot yoga (totally addicted!)

Now I've committed myself to doing 1 5K race every month between now and end of November

I do monthly goals for milage and yoga sessions. I make appointments in my calendar for exercise - I have a higher success rate if I make goals and plan my weeks.

For March I wanted to do 13 yoga sessions and 100 miles. I need to get in 3 more miles today to get to 100...I have a goal to do over 1000 miles this year (I did 900 last year)

@@heynowkc

Pre surgery: Couch Potato

After surgery: Walking 30 mins progressed to an hour

Weight loss phase: Hour of cardio mixed on 3 machines

added additional hour of lifting

10 months out 30 mins cardio 5 times a week .An hour of lifting 3 time a week

I change mine up a LOT. My current schedule is a bit weird because I'm doing the Couch to 5k (C25K) training at the expected rate of 3x/week, but the training sessions lumped oddly together because I have classes and and other commitments on certain days that I don't want to give up. Before C25K, I was usually doing 60min cardio (15min each on bike, treadmill, rowing machine, and arc trainer) on those days. Anyway, here's what I currently do:

Sun: 30min C25K and 45-60min strength training

Mon: 30min C25K and 45-60min strength training

Tue: 60min Water Pump class

Wed: 60min with personal trainer (usually strength training)

Thu: day off or 60 min cardio (15 min bike, 15min treadmill, 15min rowing, 15min arc trainer)

Frid: 30min C25K and 45-60min strength training

Sat: 60min Water Pump class plus 45-60min strength training

I'm happy to share the details of the strength training sessions if anyone's interested.

Pre surgery couch potato.

Now I run. Started with couch to 5k and have worked up through 5ks 10ks, relays and trail races, a triathlon and half marathons. Training for a full marathon now--ran 18 miles today. I usually do about 30 miles a week these days.

I also do yoga 3-4 times a week and a bit of cross training (biking and swimming) so I can do another triathlon later this year.

Monday - Bodystep

Tuesday - yoga - 60min

Wednesday - plyometrics

Thursday - Zumba

Friday - yoga 45 min

If for some reason I can't hit the gym on those days....I do DDP yoga at home or TRX training and walk for 30 min

I'm only six weeks out, but have been swimming for the past three weeks as I can't walk (need a hip replacement). I am so happy that swimming burns crazy calories - at my weight an hour of breaststroke burns almost 1,200 calories. I go 5 days per week.

At the recommendation of my docs, I am going to add yoga to build strength in another six weeks. I've gone to one yoga class in the past but it was hot yoga and at my former 300 lb + weight, it nearly killed me (but I still thought it was fun). Looking forward to trying a beginner's yoga class I can handle.