Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My BMI is only 28.2 with surgery scheduled!

I am scheduled for surgery on April 6th for the sleeve. However, I am VERY NERVOUS! I am going the hiatal hernia route, but my BMI is only 28.2. I've considered canceling the surgery because I'm scared that my BMI is not high enough. I am going to Dr. Nick Nicholson. Anyone else have a similar situation? What do you recommend I do......should I go through with it or cancel?

That's low but is your surgeon reputable? Do you think he would do surgery on you if he felt it were unsafe? If your questioning that you probably don't Have a lot of trust for him, I wouldn't let someone cut on me that I didn't fully trust.

I dont know if you have any health problem. But your BMI is low cancel. It's not easy. First week out for me and my Bmi was 34 with some health problems. It's not terrible but first 5 days it was painful. Now I'm still weak and trying to adjust to new drinking feeding. It's a major surgery. Not to take lightly.

The only health problem I have is that I'm at a high risk of becoming a diabetic like my mom. I have gained 30 lbs in 2 years and struggle to find ways to lose weight. My mom has gastric bypass 4 years ago because she couldn't lose weight due to being on insulin. I guess I'm just scared and nervous to have this surgery because I haven't been able to find any other people that have had it done with a low BMI like mine. The surgeon said that since I have a hiatal hernia then he could do it. Not sure what to do?

This is just my opinion...if it's something that you want then go for it....however if my BMI was that low I would try other options first. whether you have surgery or start healthy eating habits, it is all a huge lifestyle change, especially WLS. they both come with their own pros, cons, and sacrifices. Most people that I know who have had it have tried all other options and failed for years prior to deciding to have surgery. I know if eating healthier and working out the way that many do worked for me, I wouldn't have gone this route. Doing this will not change the fact that you'll have to make healthier choices just because you can eat so little to be satisfied. Instead of working out, eating healthier, and then deciding to have a a sweet or burger in moderation isn't so easy post surgery. And don't get me started on the awkwardness that comes with going out to eat and family get togethers. Once it's done, it's done and you will have to commit to everything it entails.

I don't know your struggle or your reasons for considering WLS, but if it's something you want, just research as much as you can that way you are fully prepared :). this surgery has had such a positive impact on so many people, but it comes with its challenges just like everything else. Best of luck with whatever you decide ❤️

The question is, would your BMI stay that low or drop even lower without the surgery? I have always been very very good at LOSING weight. I have managed to lose down below a 30 BMI on multiple occasions. However, I have never been able to maintain that weight. This past summer, when I was once again over 40 BMI and determined to lose weight, I decided to look into WLS, not for the weight loss, but for weight maintenance. I knew I could lose back down to near a healthy BMI on my own again, but I wanted this time to be the LAST time. So this time I decided to go ahead and pursue WLS so once I was down to a healthy BMI, I could stay there. So for me, this was weight maintenance surgery, not weight loss surgery. Ironically, since having my sleeve, I have been losing weight much more slowly than I had managed to on my own in the past. But I am still feeling very confident that once I am to goal, I won't regain like I have in the past.

Edited by JamieLogical

Omg that is a low BMI I am surprised a Md would do that surgery with a BMI that low. Why is it you want gastric surgery being so thin? You can have hernia repair without having the sleeve. Best of luck

I'm wondering what insurance you have. You wouldn't be able to have surgery with a BMI that low if you were with Kaiser. Just saying. Wish you luck with whatever you decide.

Few of my friends with BMI 28 had consulted bariatric surgeons for sleeve, they were told that patients with BMI less than 30 do not loose much weight after sleeve, just 10-20 Ibs.

Thank you everyone for your comments. It makes sense to me about not doing it with a lower BMI. However, I have struggled for years with my weight and even though on the charts I'm considered "overweight", I guess I should continue to try an alternate route other than WLS. Someone mentioned having lap band instead. Does anyone agree with this?

Thank you everyone for your comments. It makes sense to me about not doing it with a lower BMI. However, I have struggled for years with my weight and even though on the charts I'm considered "overweight", I guess I should continue to try an alternate route other than WLS. Someone mentioned having lap band instead. Does anyone agree with this?

Nope. I don't see lap-band as a "less extreme" alternative to sleeve. It's still a significant procedure with it's own whole list of potential complications.

I understand the struggle and desperation to find something that will "just work"! May I ask how much weight do you have to lose? Have you "yo-yo'd" up and down in weight frequently in the past? Lap band requirements that I have seen are a bit more forgiving when it comes to BMI...I think the minimum is 30 but you have to have other co-morbidities...usually you can qualify for most WLS procedures with BMI 40 and above stand alone. Like the previous poster said, it does come with its own set of complications, as does any procedure. You just have to weigh the pros and cons with everything.

However with that being said your current BMI still would not meet insurance requirements, are you considering self pay?

You only need to lose like 15 pounds and you want to consider weight loss surgery?? I feel that Is WAY to extreme...I pray & would be thrilled to ever get down to a 30 BMI . Lap- band is invasive and like the other member said it has its own list of problems. Your insurance will cover this? These surgeries are extreme measures to lose weight that is why they feel your BMI should be over 40 or 35 with certain pre-existing medical conditions.

I have yo-yo'ed back and forth with my weight for the last 10 years. The doctor said I would not qualify for the sleeve through insurance but I would Qualify for hiatal hernia surgery with insurance. He said that they will just do the sleeve while they are there. I am 50 lbs from my goal weight. However, my BMI is still below 30 and that worries me. I'd almost rather have lap band instead.

Lap band is just as serious of a surgery and lifestyle change.

Please don't think of it as a lesser alternative.

50 pounds is reasonable and worthy of needing help to lose and maintain the loss.

Also a few have implied otherwise but this surgeon is very highly regarded and is one of the top surgeons in Dallas in case anyone is wondering.

Edited by woo woo