Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone been told that the lap band is only temporary?

There seems to be some difference of opinion by some as to whether the band is meant to be permanent or temporary. While it can be removed or revised to a different WLS I am not aware of anyone in the medical profession, especially those putting bands in, saying that they are meant to be temporary.

Would you have the band put in if you were told it wasn't meant to be permanent?

No, no one has ever told me the band is temporary because it's not!!

I can't speak for anyone else on here but I hope to have mine removed within a year assuming I lose the 80/100 lbs I have left to lose. I have heard of many people having theirs removed after they hit their goals that is why I chose a lap-band vs. any other WLS.

I can't speak for anyone else on here but I hope to have mine removed within a year assuming I lose the 80/100 lbs I have left to lose. I have heard of many people having theirs removed after they hit their goals that is why I chose a lap-band vs. any other WLS.

Just curious - what do you think is going to happen to your weight after your band is removed? Did you discuss this decision with your surgeon before you had the band put in? I know people have the band removed due to complications or revision to another WLS but almost anyone who got theirs removed and not revised to another WLS put all the weight back on.

I have never heard of anyone who got the band as a temporary fix with the idea of having it removed after hitting goal. If it took the band to get you to goal what makes you think you will stay there after it's removed and your stomach goes back to normal capacity? These people that you heard of who had theirs removed after goal - did they stay at goal?

I guess I am just stunned at your answer as I've never heard this before and am surprised a surgeon would agree to due it for that reason.

My Dr has done thousands of lapbands. He told me mine should last the rest of my life if I do my part. I would never consider having it removed unless I had complications. I know if I did not have my band I would re-gain my weight quickly. I knew going in this would have to be my final weight loss "program". after spending thousands of dollars and decades trying to lose weight on my own, I resolved to get healthy and keep my weight off. The feeling of not being a slave to food has been euphoric for me. I hope you re-consider your decision to have a removal.

I consider it permanent and I also agree that removable is not the same as temporary. I know that some people have issues with the band but it's been wonderful for me and I never in a million years expected to be this size and this healthy again.

I know I look good but better than that, I feel good. In fact, I feel wonderful.

I should elaborate, like many people here (I assume) I have been a yo-yo dieter my entire life. I can remember being made fun of in grade school for being fat. In my teens I lost the weight and was between fit and slightly over weight until I turned 21. Then I gradually gained all of the weight back due to drinking and poor meal decisions. One day I was at a popular burger joint in Boise called Big Juds' (http://www.bigjudsboise.com/) and someone told me a story about how the owner, Big Jud, got a lap band and lost ~ 150 lbs and then he had them remove it so he could eat normal again. That is what sent the initial spark to my brain.

I was very upfront with everyone when I told them I wanted to get the lap-band as a tool to help me lose 100 lbs. They didn't seem to want to hear that so I stopped talking about it. Since I was self-pay they didn't have any problem just pushing me through the system lol. My goal is to use the lap-band as a tool to help me get over the hump of losing weight. I hope to be able to eat regularly and exercise regularly when I am back down to a manageable weight. I also intend to make much smarter life style decisions like avoiding fast food. I can't tell you how much better I feel since I started the liver cleanse 2 weeks before my surgery! It feels amazing to have energy again.

I am not trying to dissuade anyone from keeping their lap-band or anything like that I just thought I would share my stories since you asked a very specific question and no one had weighed in on getting one for a temp fix. I am pretty new to this so we will see what I say in a year lol. I have also thought about just having the saline removed once I hit my goal that way if I started gaining weight like crazy I could go back to the lap-band diet. I also don’t have a crazy goal to get to ~ 180 lbs where the Dr’s say I should be according to BMI. I have seen myself at 180 lbs and I would rather weigh 200-230 lbs and be a little bulky lol.

Oh so you want to eat "Normally" I often tell people that eating so called normally is what made me obese. If you feel secure in your resolve to eat correctly and you think removing the band is a good idea than it's your decision. I just know eating "Normally" for me is not an option. I do eat normal food, healthy food and try to treat myself now and then. the new normal is maybe 1 piece of thin crust pizza as opposed to a whole pizza. no soda, no sweet tea (southern thing), no drinking while eating . I've had my band 2 years and I feel like I do eat pretty normal . I rarely use Protein shakes or bars unless I am traveling and can't get real food. Best of Luck to you.

I should elaborate, like many people here (I assume) I have been a yo-yo dieter my entire life. I can remember being made fun of in grade school for being fat. In my teens I lost the weight and was between fit and slightly over weight until I turned 21. Then I gradually gained all of the weight back due to drinking and poor meal decisions. One day I was at a popular burger joint in Boise called Big Juds' (http://www.bigjudsboise.com/) and someone told me a story about how the owner, Big Jud, got a lap band and lost ~ 150 lbs and then he had them remove it so he could eat normal again. That is what sent the initial spark to my brain.

I was very upfront with everyone when I told them I wanted to get the lap-band as a tool to help me lose 100 lbs. They didn't seem to want to hear that so I stopped talking about it. Since I was self-pay they didn't have any problem just pushing me through the system lol. My goal is to use the lap-band as a tool to help me get over the hump of losing weight. I hope to be able to eat regularly and exercise regularly when I am back down to a manageable weight. I also intend to make much smarter life style decisions like avoiding fast food. I can't tell you how much better I feel since I started the liver cleanse 2 weeks before my surgery! It feels amazing to have energy again.

I am not trying to dissuade anyone from keeping their lap-band or anything like that I just thought I would share my stories since you asked a very specific question and no one had weighed in on getting one for a temp fix. I am pretty new to this so we will see what I say in a year lol. I have also thought about just having the saline removed once I hit my goal that way if I started gaining weight like crazy I could go back to the lap-band diet. I also don’t have a crazy goal to get to ~ 180 lbs where the Dr’s say I should be according to BMI. I have seen myself at 180 lbs and I would rather weigh 200-230 lbs and be a little bulky lol.

You've made the decision that you think is right for you and no one can argue with that. I am not the least surprised that the surgeons would do both surgeries since you are self pay. I doubt insurance would pay for removal in the absence of complications. However, I think the idea of removing all the saline from the band is a good option. That is where I am now. All fill has been removed after a very bad stuck episode. By the way, I hate my band as it never did one thing it was promoted as doing. I am glad you had success with yours and hope you do well without it. Good luck.

I am only on week two post surgery. I haven't even had a fill and I have lost 1/5 of the weight I intend to lose by just counting calories and eating healthy. Next week I hope to re-incorporate exercise to speed up the process. I consider the lap-band a tool/insurance that will help me reach my goal ;-)

I hope you find something that works for you too. I am sorry that you had a problem with your band.

I love my band and consider it a permanent part of my life. I know that if anything goes wrong and I can't get another one I could do something more drastic, but I am of the opinion that this has gone very well for me and will continue to do so.

@@Rizzle01 Might i suggest... and this is only a suggestion... as a person who has had her band for 5 years..... Before you make the decision to get it removed.... have all the fill taken out first. This will tell you if you really have your eating under control. I would hate for you to work so hard to lose your weight only to re gain it back. Especially that you are self pay...

When i had my TT, the PS removed all the fill, it was the first time in years that i could eat "normally" (by other people's standards). That is when I.. Me... no one else.... Realized that I NEED MY BAND. I found myself eating things i had not eaten in years... Hot dogs on a bun... Hamburger on a bun... Grits pizza (thick crust and i ate the crust)... Then i realized all these things i had stopped eating because of the band... Was a great thing... They are all bad for us. So, back to my LB Dr. i went for a 5cc fill...

So don't get caught up in.... this is only temporary... Take it day by day. and in the end, make the choice that is right for you.

Well I still have a long way to go lol. I haven't even had my first fill let alone lost all the weight. I am not planning on doing anything rash. I do think I will try the no fill method though once I get there ;-)

When I was banded in 2006 we were told it was for life. Now the manufacturers actually state an expected lifespan of around 10 years.

The reason is that the band itself should not deteriorate but that in a great many people, scar tissue can build up and cause tightening. If this happens too much, removing Fluid is not sufficient. This complication was not widely known or exoected when Ibwas banded but is probably the most common cause of problems.

I am nine years post-op and fine. I hope to stay that way and will be devastated if not! But I have already (at 6 and at 7 years post-op) needed tiny amounts of saline removed.