Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Week 3 and in the Pureed stage with concerns

I'm three weeks out and am in the first week of the pureed stage. I've literally been living on 1-2 chocolate Premier Protein shakes each day and am still having trouble adding pureed foods. Especially those that contain good amounts of Protein. I've tried softly scrambled eggs on 3 separate occasions with no luck. The first time I was able to eat about 1/3 of the egg with no problems. But the second time I ended up feeling full and bloated after only 4 teeny tiny bites. The third attempt left me in excruciating pain after just 2 little bites. It literally felt like the egg was stuck. I tried everything to 'dislodge' it but nothing seemed to work. I spent over 3 1/2 hours holding a bowl because I literally felt like I was going to be violently ill. I had the same exact issue last night when I tried shredded, canned chicken mixed with light mayo. I was only able to eat 2 tiny nibbles before the pain kicked in. I'm following the rules and am taking super tiny bites and chewing each bite a minimum of 30 times each yet still having trouble. I have managed to eat mashed potatoes with beef gravy and fat free refried Beans with a tiny bit of reduced fat shredded cheddar on top.

Anyone have any suggestions? Am I going to be stuck surviving on these icky Protein Shakes for the rest of my life? Others who had surgery just 3 days before me are already in the soft food stage and beyond. Can't help but wonder if there's something wrong with my pouch. Shouldn't it be stretching a bit by now so that I'm able to consume more than an ounce of pureed food at a time?

I'm three weeks out and am in the first week of the pureed stage. I've literally been living on 1-2 chocolate Premier Protein shakes each day and am still having trouble adding pureed foods. Especially those that contain good amounts of Protein. I've tried softly scrambled eggs on 3 separate occasions with no luck. The first time I was able to eat about 1/3 of the egg with no problems. But the second time I ended up feeling full and bloated after only 4 teeny tiny bites. The third attempt left me in excruciating pain after just 2 little bites. It literally felt like the egg was stuck. I tried everything to 'dislodge' it but nothing seemed to work. I spent over 3 1/2 hours holding a bowl because I literally felt like I was going to be violently ill. I had the same exact issue last night when I tried shredded, canned chicken mixed with light mayo. I was only able to eat 2 tiny nibbles before the pain kicked in. I'm following the rules and am taking super tiny bites and chewing each bite a minimum of 30 times each yet still having trouble. I have managed to eat mashed potatoes with beef gravy and fat free refried Beans with a tiny bit of reduced fat shredded cheddar on top.

Anyone have any suggestions? Am I going to be stuck surviving on these icky Protein Shakes for the rest of my life? Others who had surgery just 3 days before me are already in the soft food stage and beyond. Can't help but wonder if there's something wrong with my pouch. Shouldn't it be stretching a bit by now so that I'm able to consume more than an ounce of pureed food at a time?

don't feel bad I'm 6 weeks post-op today and I'm still on the full liquid diet I had a set back due to my protein shakes I can't tolarade any protein shakes at all and I'm out of ideas of what to eat I literally don't want cuz I'm tired of the same thing so don't feel so bad it just takes time

I'm 11wks and still on soft foods. Everyone heals differently. I too had trouble with eggs and ground turkey,as well as tuna with low fat mayo in very small amts. Hasn't really gotten any bigger in the eating category and I just contacted my Nutritionists for suggestions. Maybe you can do the same to see what is able to be tolerated between your Dr and your Nutritionist. Hope this helps.

I am also 11 weeks out and my new tummy has issues tolerating shrimp and chicken as well. My surgeon told me that after surgery, chicken and eggs are one of the more difficult foods to process and that many people become intolerant. It is so interesting the different food stages that all the surgeons use on us; I was on Soups after leaving the hospital, soft foods a week later, and solid foods (minus bread, rice, Pasta, popcorn, pork, or beef) at one month. As I have gotten further along, I have found that some foods like the chicken (which I love and am sad about) and shrimp nearly always make me throw up within 3 bites. Also, if I get too hungry and then eat, I will more than like throw it up. The surgeon just says it is a time of discovery.

I can only speak to my personal experience on the pureed stage. I did not do well on this phase at all. For me it was a texture issue. I do not eat Beans with the exception of green Beans so this option was out for me.

I survived this phase by using premier Protein shakes and milking them down with lactaid. At first it was about 50/50 until my puch could handle that shake all alone.

I still cannot eat eggs and I used to love them. I believe it was pureeing eggs that ruined them for me. For me it is both about the taste and the heaviness of them

What I did eat during this stage was cottage cheese, yogurt, creamed Soups, cream of wheat made with fair life milk, Protein shakes.i do remember wanting some cooked carrots so bad that I actually made fresh carrots and cooked them to the point they were somewhat mushy. I used a little butter (ver little), salt and pepper. I mashed them with my fork and then made sure I chewed them to a pureed stage before swallowing.

I am not sure if this is true or not but I believe it is for me, because I had such a small variation of these foods it allowed my tummy to truly heal in that first 4 weeks. I did not always hit my protein but I was told to do the best I could.

At the end of that 4 weeks I was able to start eating chicken, fish, ground meats with no problem what so ever. chicken breast became my new best friend. I was also allowed vegetables and fruit as long as it was softer.

At the 10 week mark, I could eat pretty much anything with no trouble as long as I chose nice tender cuts of meat. I eat beef tenderloin, pork tenderloin, chicken, shrimp, fish and I love them.

I also crave vegetables. The trick is NOT over cooking your protein or it becomes dry. Also adding sauces, gravies helps in the beginning.

Personally pureed foods was the worst stage to tolerate for me but I made it through and my tummy healed well.

Although I don't need to drink Protein Shakes any longer I do have one every morning (premier protein). I have come to actually love them and it gives me a protein boost before I work out.

I know that a lot of people struggle with eggs as they are heavier.

I didn't like the idea of puréed meat so I did a lot of veggie stuff.

I had lentil Soups with some vegetable stock.

I puréed quorn mince with some Beans and had that with some avocado which was nice having different flavours.

I had fish in a low fat white sauce with a tiny bit of mash.

I absolutely hate Protein shakes as well so added in things like quark or cheese spread and milk to my mash.

I loved a vegetable Soup as it felt like I was getting Vitamins and minerals that I hadn't had in ages! Just add in some Protein powder.

For Breakfast - maybe try quark and a bit of banana, or if you don't have quark then just some yogurt and banana

The purée stage is tough - get ice lolly things so that you have some crunch :)