Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi guys, I've been lurking for a bit and finally signed up hoping for some extra support. My surgery date is 2/25. I start my liquid diet on 2/11. I started my research 2 years ago and began this process sept 2014 after I couldn't fit on an amusement park ride my son wanted to ride. Since the first appointment in September I've gained 10 pounds, most of it in the last month since my final clearance appointment. I'm sure I'll lose that weight during the liquid diet, but my wife said to me the other day "your eating like every meal is your last" meaning I'm overeating and having desert (which I rarely used to do). She's right. Something clicked inside that I can't eat the things I love anymore. I know in my head that's not true. I will still be able to enjoy some things just small portions and I'm good with that. To me it's the destination. I need to do this and be there for my 4 year old son. He's my focus. My wife as well. But still I feel that panic. I never doubted I'd be able to make the lifestyle and health changes I need to be successful. Now I'm full of doubt. Again...panic am I doing the right thing? I want to get back under control. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by Big Guy 77

Big Guy I'm on the choo choo to chubbytown as well, my surgery is Feb. 17th and I'm doing exactly what your doing I think it's normal? I start my liquid diet on Tuesday so guess what tonight I'm going to Celebrate with some beer and a shot of Jack to say goodbye to the old me and to the beginning of the road to the new me. It's funny we are on similar paths as well this past summer we were in Universal studios and I had to be sausaged into a ride with my son they had to squeeze me into my seat it was one of many aha moments that lead me to this decision. Good Luck to you Brother! See you on the other side.

Its common to have doubt, I was smaller than you but something I did not have any doubt about was that I could not lose weight on my own for more than few months.

food funerals are pretty common with WLS patients pre-op. I tried to not go overboard, but I had a couple myself.

Not everyone is open to this - but how about a counseling session to talk this through with an objective person?

I had massive anxiety pre op, but the difference was i felt like it was a life or death matter. almost like - I didn't really have a choice. I was so OVER food as a friend since it had co-conspired to freaking kill me young... I wasnt into the food funeral thing, I just wanted to escape from that 24/7 drive to EAT that I had pre sleeve.

I am 3 years post op. In truth, I think I enjoy food more now. I eat very consciously, i eat food that my body needs for good health. I do have junky food sometimes, but rarely. As a result, I don't find it as appealing and it often makes me feel icky - that crappy food has revealed it's true nature! It was poisoning me and i didn't really get it until the poison was removed/reduced. Ask yourself - are you happier for having that dessert (or whatever). i bet the answer is NO.

Thank you all for your posts. It helped me settle down quite a bit. Hoping more posters send some more thoughts my way. Again, thank you. Looking forward to a new day.

When ever the nerves set in, go back to the plan, and follow the Doctor's orders. I was lucky, I was at work in the Middle East just prior to my surgery, and arrived home 3 days before. Since I really cant stand the food over here, following the liquid diet wasnt much of a test. 8 months post op, and over a 110 lbs later, I will say it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Just had my surgery January 29. I was doubting until they wheeled me away. I literally was thinking as I lay in the bed that I should call it off and go have Breakfast at bob Evans. What helped me through the doubts was I'd look at myself in the mirror and ask myself if I wanted to be fat for the rest of my life and deal with consequences or do the surgery and enjoy the positives. There is no reason in 6-9 months I won't be able to enjoy anything I ate before. Just smaller portions. I can't wait to eat one bite of chocolate cake and be satisfied. Have one slice of pizza instead of the whole thing. For me it was all portion size and the sleeve will be a great tool.

Dud you talk through your concerns as part of your psych evaluation? Good luck with your decision.

I too am about portion size and this being a tool to achieve a better life. I wanted to and could have had my surgery months ago, but for family reasons I pushed it back several months. I think it really hurt me because if gave me so much time of just waiting…and thinking...it felt like waiting for the end of something instead of for a new beginning. I hadn't discussed these feelings with the psych. I have discussed it with two of my friends who were both sleeved, one 2 years ago the other sept 2014. They're advice was basically much the same as the above and keep your eye on the prize. I made a list the other night of the reasons I am doing this, my lousy conditioning, serious health situations and my son and family's future together. I think the social aspects are getting to me too, the going out to eat with my wife, family style meals at work, cocktail hour at a wedding, the places where eating is just part of the experience. I'm prepared for smaller portions and am fine with it, at least I was. I'm sure this is all just nerves. I do have some support with this whole process, my 2 friends who went through it and the guys at work whom I've told I'm doing it. That helps. I think reading these responses and other in the broader forum is helping. Thank you all again.

Everyone gets the nerves, fears about losing out on the good times of eating whatever you want. It's normal and you will have those concerns until you wake up from surgery. Then, at least in my case, all those concerns are gone and I'm just thrilled at the success I'm seeing.

I was sleeved 11 days ago. My heaviest was 310, I lost 27 pounds pre op and in my 11 days post surgery I've lost another 17 pounds. To put that in perspective, in the last two months I've lost about the same weight as a medium sized dog. I would take that over cheesecake any day.

Also, once I really got going on the pre-op diet and especially the post op one, my focus on weightloss became so great that I am now actually getting as much or more happiness (in the way of pride) skipping calories then I ever did eating them.

I had that amusement park ride issue once too. So embarrassing right in from of the kid you want to be a hero to. Well, now you get a chance to be that hero. To show him how to accomplish a goal no matter what, to show him that you will be alive when he/she goes off to college, gets married etc. To have more energy to play baseball or scuba dive with the kid. I think all that makes nachos a little less important in the grand scheme.

Good luck, this has been one of the best decisions I've ever made, I hope you feel this way too one day soon.

Don't doubt! This surgery will put you firmly back in control. It has been the greatest thing I've ever done for myself so far and I have no doubt you will feel the same way too.

Everything gets easier after surgery. It's still hard at times but not as hard as it was before.