Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Really Frustrated

Hi everyone and Happy New Year! I am so frustrated, had surgery in Feb and the last few times I have been to the doc haven't lost a thing, If I remember right I only have around 3.5cc in my band. When I go to get a fill I lay down he puts the needle in then has me sit up, when he goes to put in more liquid, when he gets to around 3.5cc it starts pushing back. He then tells me the band won't take anymore. I really thought by now I would have lost more than I have, around 30lbs. Anyway I go to the doc tomorrow for my last fill of the year. Am going to ask him to let me stay laying down while he puts the liquid in and hopefully I will end up with more. I feel as though I can eat almost anything except bread, can't do that. I do eat smaller portions but on some things I can sit there and eat quite a bit of it. He does ask me if I have been throwing up and I am honest and tell him yes but only if I eat bread. So he doesn't recommend a fill then. So anyway its been 10 months and I do feel like I should have more than 3.5cc

I also feel like I have gained weight this time. Wish me luck!

Verna

Hi Verna, good luck with your appointment tomorrow. I am going for a fill next week -- feeling like I am hungrier sooner and that my capacity is off, I'm not feeling satiety as soon as I had in previous months. It's a careful balance. For me the key is listening for that "enough" signal and stopping, then not going back. The old grazing behavior is still there and I'm working hard to obliterate that. And of course the holidays are a difficult time as there's so much extra around. Here's to the New Year and new habits. Best wishes!

I read your post and feel exactly like you do. I had my surgery over three years ago and have only lost 30 pounds. I got a reboot(took liquid out and put it back in the port) a couple of months ago and I felt like I finally reached my "sweet spot" and could actually keep on the Lap Band program. However, after about a month, I couldn't feel the band working any longer except when I ate bread or spicy food. I get depressed when I keep reading about all of these Lap Banders who are SO successful and keep losing weight until they have lost 100+ pounds and then those that keep it off for years. I keep trying to stay with the program, but I keep getting so hungry that I go off of the program. I would love to know exactly what the successful people eat each day that allows them to be so successful. Also, although I have had it checked many times my band port really hurts. The doctor said it is just because it is pulling on a muscle but it still doesn't seem like it should hurt after all of these years. I do wish we had a local group of Lap Band folks here so we could talk about our bands and how some people are so successful. However, the closest group is four hours away. Maybe I am missing a site on the Internet that gives better information on how to work with the band so you eat right and lose weight without always being hungry. Then too, maybe I need some therapy because I am not as successful as most people are who have had the Lap Band? When you learn the secret of success with the band I hope you will post it for those of us who are also frustrated. Good Luck and I hope you do find success!

Work with your surgeon -- they are there for you. If the fill isn't right, get another. Just don't get too tight.

I read your post and feel exactly like you do. I had my surgery over three years ago and have only lost 30 pounds. I got a reboot(took liquid out and put it back in the port) a couple of months ago and I felt like I finally reached my "sweet spot" and could actually keep on the Lap Band program. However, after about a month, I couldn't feel the band working any longer except when I ate bread or spicy food. I get depressed when I keep reading about all of these Lap Banders who are SO successful and keep losing weight until they have lost 100+ pounds and then those that keep it off for years. I keep trying to stay with the program, but I keep getting so hungry that I go off of the program. I would love to know exactly what the successful people eat each day that allows them to be so successful. Also, although I have had it checked many times my band port really hurts. The doctor said it is just because it is pulling on a muscle but it still doesn't seem like it should hurt after all of these years. I do wish we had a local group of Lap Band folks here so we could talk about our bands and how some people are so successful. However, the closest group is four hours away. Maybe I am missing a site on the Internet that gives better information on how to work with the band so you eat right and lose weight without always being hungry. Then too, maybe I need some therapy because I am not as successful as most people are who have had the Lap Band? When you learn the secret of success with the band I hope you will post it for those of us who are also frustrated. Good Luck and I hope you do find success!

The reason I have been so successful for these past four years and two weeks is because I saw my bariatric team every month for the first two and a half years of my journey. I read my Lapband book over and over that I was given pre-op and I watched what I ate (sometimes). I have learned to really pay attention to my body to realize when enough is enough. Yes there are days when I literally eat all day and then there are days like these past few that I just can't or don't feel like eating so I don't. If you are consistently hungry then it sounds like you need a fill. Best wishes to you.

Well went to the doc and I had him redo my fill I now have 4cc in me and I do believe I can tell it too. I laid down with a pillow under the small of my back and he was actually able to put in more liquid. Amen So here is to hopefully me losing more weight. I had actually gained 2 pounds.

verna do you have an update

I have lost 4 lbs so far since my last visit when he put more cc in.

That's great, could you tell immediately?

just wanted everyone to know that I have lost 7 lbs this month. I am so glad I had him lay me down and keep me down when he did the injection the last time I went. I feel so much better now that I am losing again. Thank you everyone for telling me how yours was done.