Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, I'm 3 months into my 6 month requirement for getting the LapBand. I am generally healthy though my BMI 40.09. Including 2 pregnancies, I've never had hypertension, diabetes, heart or lung issues, sleep apnea, etc. However, I fear that once I get the band, I'll have a complication like slippage or something else they may be triggered by getting the band. I know it seems strange to have this sort of fear but has anyone with zero medical issues pre-op developed regretful post-op issues?

Hi there, my only regret is not doing this sooner! Obesity takes its toll over time and at some point life begins to feel so short. I'm not at goal yet but I sure feel good having lost 65 pounds or so. It makes everything so much easier.

I think you are smart to look at different scenarios as a pre-op. That shows that you are taking this seriously and weighing risks vs benefits. Everyone should do their due diligence when making such a life-changing decision.

To answer your question, the only risk factor I had going into my lapband was a slightly elevated cholesterol level, controlled by statins. A small bit of sleep apnea, related to my weight, was detected during my pre-op exams, and reversed with my weight loss. Otherwise, I was in good health numberwise, but tired, limited in mobility by my obesity, and hated how I looked and how I moved through the world.

The lapband-related "complications" that I experienced after banding were a too-tight band due taking a couple of Advil when I slipped a disk in my back. Bandsters are advised to never use anti-inflammatories as they can cause the stomach to swell. This happened to me and it shut off my stoma (the area that the band sits) so I had to get an unfill for three months until things calmed down. That was a drag but I didn't have a choice.

Now I'm facing another band side-effect which I'm in the process of having evaluated: atrial fibrillation. It would appear that in some people, the band can irriate the vagus nerve which controls (among other things) heart rate. I'm currently on beta blockers to keep my heart in rhythm, with a possibility of having a band removal surgery if the tests being perform do show that the band is the source of my heart arrhythmia.

Your bariatric practice can address your fears of slippage, erosion and other typical but rare complications from lapbands. They can tell you what behaviors can contribute to slippage or erosion (although these can occur with even the most-compliant of patients). While no bandster ever wants to experience a complication, the good thing about the band is that almost all complications can be reversed by either unfilling or removing the band. So that's something to think about when evaluating all WLS.

You are asking good questions which makes you a winner already! Good luck as you move towards the steps towards better health.

Thank you both. Definitely something to continue considering.