Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lower-end BMI Sleeve Surgery. Any others?

Hi, all. This is my first post and I'm just completing my first week post surgery. I may be a little unique in that I had sleeve surgery with a lower BMI--32. I've struggled with weight my entire life and always worked out...just can't keep it off. Always hungry and no diet ever seems to work. So I bit the bullet and paid for the surgery myself. It's been remarkably easy so far...I, candidly, am just not hungry. I'm losing about a lb a day, and I'm staying pretty strictly to the liquid diet. My general concern is that I really can't tell anything has happened to me except that I'm not hungry and I am losing weight (which I guess is the greatest outcome possible). I do fear the ease of this will make it very easy to go back to old habits. Anyone else out there with a similar experience?

Wait until you start eating semi solids or regular foods. You'll know! It's very restrictive. I felt the same way. If it wasn't for my exit incision pain, you'd think I didn't have a procedure. It wasn't until week 3 that I started to feel restriction.

I began with a lower BMI as well. Currently I am 4 weeks out. My surgery was Sept 8th. The 1st month was brutal. In the beginning I felt amazing! Then the exhaustion kicks into gear. Of course it didn't help that I also ended up with a horrible head cold 2 1/2 weeks post-op. But, I'm fully recovered from my cold now. I'm finally at the point where I feel like I can function like a normal person and am feeling amazing again! The dreaded 3 week stall is over, for now anyway. This has been the best thing that I have ever done for myself! It's me time! Time to get me healthy, happy and regain my self confidence again. Even on the hardest days, I never once regretted my decision to get the sleeve. I'm so excited for what's a head!!! Good luck to you on your journey as well!

My BMI was 33 on the day of surgery. Currently down to a BMI of 29. My surgery was 7 weeks ago. Total lost so far is about 15kg / 33lbs. Was hoping to have lost more than this but am still happy with my progress so far.

I also feel as though I haven't had surgery. Have no problems at all. Can eat / drink anything just in smaller quantities and I generally feel less hungry :-)

Edited by johnsydney

I'm so glad you posted this! I have a BMI of 35 & I'm 5'2" 190lbs but also have sleep Apena so my insurance is covering it. I am a little worried since my bmi is on the lower end (but still high) that my weigh loss will be much slower.

Congrats and feeling so well after surgery, I also felt pretty well. You will start to feel restriction once you start on regular foods. Im 5'3, and was a 34 BMI at surgery date. 9/5/14.. So far my weight-loss has been slow. I'm so worried. But on the other hand, I know I have to give it time.

Congrats and feeling so well after surgery, I also felt pretty well. You will start to feel restriction once you start on regular foods. Im 5'3, and was a 34 BMI at surgery date. 9/5/14.. So far my weight-loss has been slow. I'm so worried. But on the other hand, I know I have to give it time.

@@Noragretz

You weight loss has been slow...can you tell me how much you have lost so I can have an idea.

My BMI was 30 but I had a host of medical issues and wanted to lose that extra weight.I am 12 days post op and have lost 20lbs. I am still on liquids and don't like hot liquids generally so no tea coffee Soups etc...I did try Soup but my body doesn't take too kindly to it. So I stay on juice ,fresh lime Water and water. I'm doing good n happy with my weight loss.Don't feel hungry at all.

What I found whilst reading posts here was that the protocol you all follow is very different from us here in India. We have absolutely no fat source and very little crabs in our diet so I feel the weight loss is generally much more.

Hello fellow sleevers. I was 190 June 10 when I started my pre-op diet. Sleeved 6/17 and today I'm at 149. That's 41 pounds in 4 months. I'm thrilled with the results so far.

I have had a pretty easy time with little pain and no real complications. I just read and post to figure out how to work past some of the quirks that go along with the sleeve.

My dr said that since I'm so close to goal, 10 to 15 pounds, the weight loss will be slower from here on out.

I have stalled twice for weeks. My hair is also coming out more than before, but I've been reassured by all the members here, so I just take it in stride.

As for getting to old habits, I either pass on a "treat" or I have just a small bite.

I'm so restricted, I prefer a great meal as opposed to Snacks.

I'm always glad to know others are out there like me, and I'm happy to answer any questions about my journey.

Best to us all ...

@@tleg

I have only lost 17 since pre-op. About 12 since surgery. I have been counting calories and I can see that I'm in check. 650-850 usually. I've been wearing a body media device that tracks calories burned, and I have been exercising. So it makes no sense that I'm not losing. Just frustrating. I can see I'm losing inches. I'm going to try something new for the next week... I'm not getting on the scale!!

I'm happy to hear from the other lightweight on here too, I'm so glad the OP started this topic.

I also had a lower start BMI. Was sleeved on 9/16 and have lost 20 lbs so far. Getting in a couple of miles of walking every day. Weight loss pattern on the scale seems to be holding at one weight for 4 days or so, then it goes down another pound; I am good with that. Am in the soft foods phase, and my energy has been better now that I am weaning off the Protein powder and getting in more real foods (tuna, chicken breast, eggs, yogurt). The incision pain is finally starting to subside. Struggling to get in more than 40 oz of fluids a day, but I'll get to 60-64 eventually.

I think there are a fair few of us who are/were on the smaller end of the BMI spectrum when getting surgery. I have seen two trends, one seems to be the belief that weight loss is slower, and the other is that recovery is easier and risk of complications is lower. I don't know that either are true, but I do know that I am losing a lot faster with the sleeve than I did with the lap band. It may slow down, but I'm OK with that because I don't have hundreds to lose so if it takes me a year to lose 60lbs, and I have to put more work in, that's what I'll do. It makes saggy skin less likely anyway.

I was at 35 bmi and had surgery on October 16 so I am 8 out. I have lost 16 lbs. I am feeling really good about the loss. I have become obsessed with cooking shows. My husband says he can't understand why I would want to see food when I can't eat it. I am still on liquid diet and already hate broth.

I was 274 and I'm 6 7'. My BMI is 29.7 right now. I can't wait to reach 200 to 220 lbs.