Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Reacquainted with ME!

At the age of 33 I hit my all-time highest weight of 289lbs., supported on a 5’ 1” frame, I felt hopeless, miserable and ashamed. Before packing on all this weight, I had always been a positive, happy person full of life; I was always proud of who I was and didn’t care what others thought of me, but my weight started taking all that away from me until I no longer recognized or liked the person I had become; I was embarrassed for my husband and my kids to be seen with me, but it wasn’t until after a trip to the Dr. that I came to the realization that my weight was affecting more than just my appearance and attitude, it was affecting my health. I knew right then that I had to do something to regain control of my life so I could be around for my family and enjoy my kids growing up and set a healthy example for them.

Right up until they called me back for surgery, I kept wondering if I was making the right decision, now here I am 15 months post-op and I’m confident I made the right decision!!! I now weight 130lbs. I've lost 159lbs; and went from a size 22W jeans and 3x shirts to a size 3 jeans and small shirts. I couldn’t be happier with my results.

But the greatest thing isn’t what I lost but rather what I GAINED from choosing the LapBand! First and foremost I’m healthy; I got my sparkle back; I’m able to be the real me.

This summer I was able to do soooo many things I haven't done in years or ever, because I can:-) We've gone boating and tubing, got family picutres taken for the FIRST TIME IN 16 YEARS (and I loved them:-)), went to concerts, went to several work and family functions with my head held high, I've sported a bathing suit and actually like the way I look, I've walked into stores and while looking for something in particular been asked what size I needed and had the store associate say I'm guessing you need a small, wait what??? I never realize how much of life I was missing out on until I was given the opportunity to live again!

I'm embracing the full me now and that's truly the greatest expierence of all! People are getting used to the "new me" and I'm starting to feel as if the image of the "old me" is fadding away.

For all of us who've gone through WLS surgery or are getting ready to, always remember the reason why we made this choice! If you've had a bad day, filled with not so great choices, it's OK, that's the greatest thing about this tool, it's not a diet, there is no, well I've blown it so I might as well give up, nope that's not the case, you haven't blown anything, pick yourself up and keep on keeping on. The only way you can fail is if you quit and why in the heck would you quit when you've gone through so much to get here. We've already took the biggest step by getting the surgery, so quit fighting it and let it help you get to where you want to be!!!!!!

I hope everyone has a fun and safe Labor Day Weekend!!

Congrats on your super success. "Enjoy"! You've earned it! :)

At the age of 33 I hit my all-time highest weight of 289lbs., supported on a 5’ 1” frame, I felt hopeless, miserable and ashamed. Before packing on all this weight, I had always been a positive, happy person full of life; I was always proud of who I was and didn’t care what others thought of me, but my weight started taking all that away from me until I no longer recognized or liked the person I had become; I was embarrassed for my husband and my kids to be seen with me, but it wasn’t until after a trip to the Dr. that I came to the realization that my weight was affecting more than just my appearance and attitude, it was affecting my health. I knew right then that I had to do something to regain control of my life so I could be around for my family and enjoy my kids growing up and set a healthy example for them. Right up until they called me back for surgery, I kept wondering if I was making the right decision, now here I am 15 months post-op and I’m confident I made the right decision!!! I now weight 130lbs. I've lost 159lbs; and went from a size 22W jeans and 3x shirts to a size 3 jeans and small shirts. I couldn’t be happier with my results. But the greatest thing isn’t what I lost but rather what I GAINED from choosing the LapBand! First and foremost I’m healthy; I got my sparkle back; I’m able to be the real me. This summer I was able to do soooo many things I haven't done in years or ever, because I can:-) We've gone boating and tubing, got family picutres taken for the FIRST TIME IN 16 YEARS (and I loved them:-)), went to concerts, went to several work and family functions with my head held high, I've sported a bathing suit and actually like the way I look, I've walked into stores and while looking for something in particular been asked what size I needed and had the store associate say I'm guessing you need a small, wait what??? I never realize how much of life I was missing out on until I was given the opportunity to live again! I'm embracing the full me now and that's truly the greatest expierence of all! People are getting used to the "new me" and I'm starting to feel as if the image of the "old me" is fadding away. For all of us who've gone through WLS surgery or are getting ready to, always remember the reason why we made this choice! If you've had a bad day, filled with not so great choices, it's OK, that's the greatest thing about this tool, it's not a diet, there is no, well I've blown it so I might as well give up, nope that's not the case, you haven't blown anything, pick yourself up and keep on keeping on. The only way you can fail is if you quit and why in the heck would you quit when you've gone through so much to get here. We've already took the biggest step by getting the surgery, so quit fighting it and let it help you get to where you want to be!!!!!! I hope everyone has a fun and safe Labor Day Weekend!!

Congratulations !! I love my band also. I know being able to move and enjoy life is the best. I still have a way to go and have been lazy about exercise and some eating. Reading stories like yours make it seem like there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Thank you. Enjoy your weekend too

Arlene

Oh sweetie...I don't like this post...I LOVE this post. It's powerful because I can relate completely. How do you explain it when you've literally gotten your life back? I too have had the best summer in more years than I can count. I'm alive again after being on the sidelines for way too long.

I am so very very happy for you and your success. I look forward to more inspiring posts from you and others who have reclaimed what obesity took away. You are now experiencing your forum name as I am also experiencing mine. This post just made my day!!

enjoythetime, thank you for your post. I have read every post of yours I can find since I started this journey myself. You are such an inspiration to me and I have learned so much from you. Your post today really hit home for me. Since I am so new to this (was banded July 22) it can sometimes feel so overwhelming. Thank you for your positive outlook and for sharing what I know I can also do with the same amount of hard work and will and determination. You rock!!:):)

@@enjoythetime

Congratulations on your success! Your story is such an inspiration to me a beautiful read for me beginning my new start at life on September 26, 2014. I too have the same story as far as not wanting to do anything, go anywhere, enjoy my husband, family and friends. It's really depressing. I'm looking forward to telling my story and my date can't come soon enough:)

@@gowalking LOOK AT YOU GIRL!!!! Way to flippin go! I'm very happy for you as well!! We've been pretty much identical through this journey and I'm so thankful for your encouragement and continous support! You're such a source of strength for me and to so many on this forum! I'm so glad you're out there enjoying the life you've worked so hard to re-claim!iYour profile pic says it all, I can just see the happiness beaming from your face!! Way to go lady!!! ((HUGS))

Yes, I am now living out my forum name and it is so great!

Oh sweetie...I don't like this post...I LOVE this post. It's powerful because I can relate completely. How do you explain it when you've literally gotten your life back? I too have had the best summer in more years than I can count. I'm alive again after being on the sidelines for way too long.

I am so very very happy for you and your success. I look forward to more inspiring posts from you and others who have reclaimed what obesity took away. You are now experiencing your forum name as I am also experiencing mine. This post just made my day!!

@@MarvyMimi People like you are what helps me keep going! Thank you for your kind words of support and encouragement!

You've totally got this! I'm cheering you on all the way to the finishline!!! Be proud of yourself for the decision to take your life back, praise yourself for each great choice you make, stay positive and focus on YOU and that's where you'll find the determination to do the hardwork ! LIke I said you've got this and if I can help you in any way please send me a message!!

enjoythetime, thank you for your post. I have read every post of yours I can find since I started this journey myself. You are such an inspiration to me and I have learned so much from you. Your post today really hit home for me. Since I am so new to this (was banded July 22) it can sometimes feel so overwhelming. Thank you for your positive outlook and for sharing what I know I can also do with the same amount of hard work and will and determination. You rock!! :):)

@@waitingtoexhale Congratualtions on your upcoming surgery and the decision YOU'VE made take control back over your life for a healthier you! You have nothing to be depressed about! I know, I know you're saying easy for you to say:-) I was there and I felt the same way but now looking back I can say that this is the greatest thing you can do for yourself so even though you haven't started you still have everything going for you and everything ahead of you so be exicted for that. You're story starts right now, and it's already amazing because you've taken that first step and are doing something about it! There's no doubt in my mind that you will be a success-story, you already are and I can't wait to hear about your journey and I'll be cheering for you all the way to the finishline!! If you need anything feel free to message me!!!

@@enjoythetime
Congratulations on your success! Your story is such an inspiration to me a beautiful read for me beginning my new start at life on September 26, 2014. I too have the same story as far as not wanting to do anything, go anywhere, enjoy my husband, family and friends. It's really depressing. I'm looking forward to telling my story and my date can't come soon enough:)

Thank you! There is light at the end of the tunnel! You know and you have what it takes to make it and you WILL get there! Stay positive and focused on YOU and the results can only go one way, your way!!!!

Congratulations !! I love my band also. I know being able to move and enjoy life is the best. I still have a way to go and have been lazy about exercise and some eating. Reading stories like yours make it seem like there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Thank you. Enjoy your weekend too
Arlene

@@catfish87 Thank you so very much!

Congrats on your super success. "Enjoy"! You've earned it! :)

This is the kind of post that lifts me up just when I need it. I was having a rough time with my food recently and posters like you tell it like it is. We make the choice to treat ourselves lovingly and kindly EVERY DAY. Nothing magical about it. We slip and stumble. So what!? Get back up and start fresh.

As I read your words it occurred to me that I started this process almost a year ago. It was September last year that I went to my first orientation seminar. Holy cow. What a difference a year makes. I was banded 5 1/2 months ago. That means for almost a year I've focused on health and treating myself well. Many of those months were months of struggling and floundering while I investigated WLS, tried to change my eating habits, succeeded a little, and failed a lot. But I kept moving forward.

What if I had given up back in October or November last year when I was mired in overeating and feeling hopeless? I'll tell you what. I'd be way MORE than 80 pounds heavier than I am today, because not only would I not have lost weight, I would have gained. Like every other year.

I remember what I felt sad about last November. I was sad that after WLS I wouldn't be able to pig out on roasted turkey skin again. It's such a perfect example of how our thinking is so messed up. And why it's so important to connect here with people who are motivated and taking good care of themselves.

My isolation got me to 302 pounds more than once in my life. Connecting with successful healthy people and asking for and getting help when my head's playing games with me will get me to goal and keep me there.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. The sheer joy in your posts speaks volumes.

@@JustWatchMe this made my eyes wet:-) I remember when you first joined this forum and I've seen how far you've come and how incredibly strong and successful you are! You should be extremely proud of yourself!

Don't get me wrong I beat myself up, worry about things that are completely out of my control, why??? it's just my nature I guess, I know it doesn't help anything but yet I do it any way. I get down and that's OK for a little while, what matters most is that we don't waller in it, we get back up! This is the sign of a true fighter, and that's exactly what you are.

People like yourself are what helps me to keep going. You've been a huge supporter and encouranger throughout my journey and you made me realize I had been away too long!!!! So thank you for genuinely caring! You're an amazing person!!