Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finding my Passion/Paying it Forward

I've started a new chapter in my life. One of the changes I am looking to make is to volunteer in some capacity. My motives aren't entirely selfless. I know that finding a hobby or a cause that I am passionate about will be good for my self esteem and give me a healthy outlet for my energies.

What have you started after WLS that "gives back" and gives you joy?

volunteer in some capacity

@@JustWatchMe

luv luv luv yout post!

i would never, ever, ever have done volunteer work pre-wls :huh:

i was too self conscious about my appearence :(

for the past year and 1/2 (since i've been at goal) i have been volunteering at our locat hospital :)

i do this 2X a week - its great

keeps me off the street and out of trouble :D

doing simple errands, going to this floor or that - bringing paper work - SOMETIMES transferring patients, transporting blood - simple stuff like that

but besides keeping me busy - i know i am being helpful, everybody is always appreciative

I wear a blue vest!!

remember - i look cute as a button!!! :D

one day a "normal" guy that worked in the hospital looked and me in the elevator

from out of the blue, he said something like

"its really great to see you volunteers helping out here - we appreciate all you do :) )"

i was grinning ear to ear for the rest of the day (kindof looked stupid!! :lol: )

i also volunteer once a week at the rescue mission putting food on platters for people that live in the rescue mission

very hard/sad to do because you see people out of work - looking for food

can be mentally draining :mellow:

but it is important - they need someone to do it :)

good luck finding something to do - big or small

you will be helpful to others - and makes you feel good about yourself :)

good luck bud

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

JustWatchMe - What a great idea! I'm going to put that on my to-do list for after surgery.

Kathy - I think you could add volunteering to support people on this site to your resume as well. You are always so positive and uplifting

Edited by docbree

@@proudgrammy,

Great ideas! I love your enthusiasm. Your posts lift me up.

@@docbree,

I heard this at a 12-step meeting I attend. Focusing outward and helping others helps us too. Sounds good to me.

@@JustWatchMe i too made a decision to give a little back. i used to be so much more involved in everything but as i got bigger an bigger i started to hide at home more and more. i'm taking a class tomorrow to become a certified digital literacy instructor for adults from impoverished area's - also looking at ways to start volunteering at my daughters school up till recently i would have avoided going to her school as i would ahve been worried that i embarrassed her with my size.

@@JustWatchMe i too made a decision to give a little back. i used to be so much more involved in everything but as i got bigger an bigger i started to hide at home more and more. i'm taking a class tomorrow to become a certified digital literacy instructor for adults from impoverished area's - also looking at ways to start volunteering at my daughters school up till recently i would have avoided going to her school as i would ahve been worried that i embarrassed her with my size.

Before my weight loss I was so physically exhausted just from my desk job that anything "extra" was out of the question. Now I come home, walk my dog, and look for something physical to do. It's a pleasant change.

This is probably the best/worst thing for some of us, but it works for me ! Once a week I bake Cookies or brownies for my co workers. Started it a few months ago, and they say it really makes them happy ! I cant have the stuff in my house because I ll eat it, so I get the baking bug out of my system, eat a couple and pass the treats onto others. We're all happy !

This is probably the best/worst thing for some of us, but it works for me ! Once a week I bake Cookies or brownies for my co workers. Started it a few months ago, and they say it really makes them happy ! I cant have the stuff in my house because I ll eat it, so I get the baking bug out of my system, eat a couple and pass the treats onto others. We're all happy !

Ha! Just a liiiiiitle too dangerous for me!

I would love to go back to volunteering in my community. Right now I have to focus on me. Perhaps when I reach a milestone

I would love to go back to volunteering in my community. Right now I have to focus on me. Perhaps when I reach a milestone

I was thinking something political. My husband and I were of different political persuasions and I often wanted to get involved somehow but never wanted the marital arguments. For some reason this keeps coming to mind now.

One of the things I wanted to do was build an underground storm shelter. Tornados hit us 6 years ago and did quite a bit of damage. Anyways being overweight and 65 years old, this wasn't going to happen. Well after surgery, I lost 110 pounds and started my project. During the last couple weeks, I had to move 40,000 pounds of gravel by hand. I took the task in stride and accomplished it. Its good to have my stamina back.

One of the things I wanted to do was build an underground storm shelter. Tornados hit us 6 years ago and did quite a bit of damage. Anyways being overweight and 65 years old, this wasn't going to happen. Well after surgery, I lost 110 pounds and started my project. During the last couple weeks, I had to move 40,000 pounds of gravel by hand. I took the task in stride and accomplished it. Its good to have my stamina back.

Wow! It's amazing what our bodies can do when we take off the excess weight. Congratulations!

Well, that's an inspiration for me. Back in my youth I hand built everything. I was always building something or making something. I was never idle. These days I sit around mostly because everything hurts and it's so hard to move...I'm just a few weeks away from vsg and terrified-so I'm gonna hang onto this. What's really sad is that I've lost such an important part of who I am. I am most happy when I'm creating. So thankful to get this reminder that I'm close to getting that back! ..happy dance....