Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm looking for honest responces here...are you cheating on your pre-op?? I am really REALLY struggling with mine and have to admit some days I fail completly. I am wondering if I'm the only one on here that has failed??

How will this effect my surgery??

I did not cheat pre-op. Those first couple of days I thought many , many, MANY times, I am not going to be able to make it. My NUT did allow for adding 3 oz of lean meat (chicken or fix) with 1 c of salad and that did help me out tremendously.

The reason I didn't cheat was fear I'd go into the OR and there would be complications or the surgery would have to be postponed. You can get through this, it's only for a short period of time that will change the rest of your life!

Did I cheat some on the 6-month medical supervised diet? Yes! I'll admit it--I did.

Did I cheap on the pre-op diet--I honestly didn't. While I don't place any judgement on anyone for cheating--I think that I stuck with the pre-op diet because I wanted my liver to be as small as possible--so it didn't get hit by the surgeon's knife:) I kept thinking about losing part of my liver--this kept me on track with the pre-op.

Hope this helps.

Oh the six months of classes, yeah, that was a formality and time for me to relearn some things about eating and learning some of the behaviors that needed to change prior after WLS. I even used that time to say goodbye so some of my favorites...but I was very strict for the two weeks leading up to my surgery....It will soooooo worth it!

I am very much a newbie at this..... However I do eat healthy with a few bad choices which include creamy dressings on salad s. No chips and junk in my house for years. No tonic. No fried foods.so now working on portions and eliminating things like cheese and creamy dressings. I love SPARK PEOPLE for recipes especially red stuffed peppers with quinoa. And other suggestions are much appreciated

I didn't cheat at all on the two-week liquid pre-op diet. I was far too worried about what would happen if my liver didn't shrink to where the doctor wanted it to be. I waited too long for this surgery to mess up at that point. I'd already said goodbye to food and had a few food funerals before that point, but when I hit the deadline that was it. And after the first two or three days, it really wasn't that bad.

I cheated and i wasnt even on a liquid diet. I was suppose to have 2 protien shakes, 2 protien bars, and 2 meals under 300 cals each everyday for a total of 1200 cals per day. I failed miserably. I did not gain weight pre op but i did not loose any either. There would be days that i followed the diet and days that i just didnt. I was self pay so im not sure if that made a difference or not. But they didnt even weigh me the day of surgery anyway. If i would not have stepped on my scale that morn, i would not know my surg weight. Also, i was 443lbs pre surg, i just had to eat.

Yes I did... I admit it, so there! I went out with friends 2 days before surgery and I had a slider burger... it was the BEST SLIDER I have ever had! LOL! I had been really good and i said to myself "what the heck, in two days I won't eat this for God knows how long -- life's to short, I'm having the dam slider" and so I did. There you have it. No worries, after surgery, once that scale goes down, you won't want to cheat because the excitement of the weight coming down is so nice! So that's my story and I'm sticking to it! LOL! Good Luck!

I was on an all liquid pre-op diet - which I followed strictly at least 10 of the 14 days. The other days I cheated with a hard boiled egg because I was so hungry. I lost about 13lbs and my doc said my liver was perfect.

I have to say a couple times a day I would come on here looking for someone to justify cheating on my pre-op diet and I always had to take myself back from the ledge of food.

I hate to say it but whatever you do pre-op, you will do post op unless you break the habits now.

I have been on 2 shakes, 2 bars and 3oz of Protein with 1/2 cup veggies since June 20th. I have only cheated once and that was with a piece of roll the size of a quarter. My doctor wants me to lose 26# before surgery and he won't schedule me until I do. I have 4# to go and they have cut me back to 2 shakes and the Protein. My appt is next Monday and I am praying my surgery is in August. I want food so bad sometimes but I just keep trying. Good luck to you.

My pre-op diet was one week of Clear liquids only. I made it 4 days and I ended up eating some organic rice puffs and a salad. I then went right back on the liquid diet the next day and stuck to it until surgery day. The idea is to shrink your liver so they don't crack is when they slide under it to get to your stomach. If your cheat was once, not close to your surgery, and it wasn't a giant meal, medically it really isn't a big deal. If you have a giant cheat meal the night before surgery and then cheat again immediately after surgery you can expose yourself to major complications that really are not worth whatever it was you ate.

Good luck to you! :)

I am to worn out to cheat. I am not judging anyone else. I have made so many excuses related to why I am so fat. In the last six months I learned so much about my eating habits. I want this to be the start towards a healthier lifestyle. Now, do I hate smelling the great food my family is eating Yes Yes H...Yes. I really want some potatoes skins with extra cheese and bacon. But, I am going to drink my broth and pack my bag for the hospital!

Of course I did!

The first two days I did not and thought I would die

Then about a week in I had the cheese off a half slice of pizza. Woops.

Then 5 days before a fried chicken wing.

Nothing to cause serious damages.

I was on 2 shakes a day and 1 high Protein meal a day. As many raw veggies as I wanted.

Lost 15 pounds and after day 3. Was not really hungry.

I had my sleeve gastrectomy surgery on July 21 and I will admit during the 14 pre-op diet, I cheated by eating too much lean meat. Many of days I wanted to add chips or fried foods, but I never added any starchy products or high carbohydrate items. I was free during my pre-op diet to each as much vegetables and egg beaters as I wanted each day. Good luck with your pre-op diet.

I am 12 days in on my liquid pre op diet. After the first 3 days or so it got easier. I haven't cheated! I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it. For me it was important because I know that things are going to change in a big way and I want so badly not to fail this time. It's been hard. I've been cooking meals for my family and sitting down with them with a Protein Shake. I've sat through a crab boil with a glass of unsweetened tea to Celebrate a friend. Wow was that hard! This was a personal challenge for me and I'm for once proud of myself. I do not judge anyone who did have a few things to eat. Each of us had to do this our own way. I had to prove this to myself as I have never really stuck to anything very long. God Bless you all!