Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

nausea still 6 days post op

My husband got sleeved 6 days ago. He's been nauseous since coming home, even with an antinausea ear patch and ondensentron. He's told the NURSE this and she says as long as he's not vomiting it's ok.

He's drinking mostly Water as the Protein Drink makes the nausea worst.

I'm recovering too from rny same day but our recoveries are much different. I am stubborn and don't let surgeries get me down. I HAVE to get better fast as we have kids. This is his second though and last one was in 94. I am really frustrated with him not forcing himself to get up and deal through the nausea. Frustrated that he didn't do extensive research and learning beforehand like I did. Frustrated that he tells me to shut up when I try to help. I'm worried he will need to be readmitted.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is all this nausea normal for some?

It's not ok. Call back and ask for anti nauseau meds.

He's already on two of them.

Is he still on pain meds? I found that the pain meds actually made me sick. I stopped taking the pain medication and the nausea was gone!

I was also nauseous for the first week. The doctor had me on pain pills and anti nausea pills and I kept getting worse. I couldn't drink Water or the Protein shakes. I stopped the pain pills and anti nausea pills and tried eating a little bit of mashed potatoes watered down with skim milk. Once I started getting food in me and the pills out of my system I felt better. Everyone reacts different to surgery and pills.

Not on pain meds anymore. Could the antinausea meds be making him nauseous??

He's tried two bites of sf apple sauce, I had to chew him out for taking pre op size bite fulls. Ugh. We're not even supposed to be eating or drinking anything other than Protein Drinks, Water (sf flavored ok), sf Jello, sf popsicles for two weeks according to our drs procedures.

I would cut him a little slack. I am not a whiner or complainer and I am a single mom of one 7 year old. I read all kinds of stuff on the surgery, followed my program, did what I was told. Figured the main thing was to survive the surgery, planned one night in the hospital and BAM be back home for two weeks then back to work. Well guess what? I spent 4 nights and 5 days in the hospital. I couldn't take in any Water, had nausea and swelling so nothing much could get in. I was "pissed" at who? At myself because I thought this was going to be sorta easy as long as I followed protocol. I did nothing wrong and felt so crummy I could hardly lift my head off the pillow. I am 8 days out now and it is somewhat easier, can only take in about 24 oz of water and it is a super struggle. I did not plan for this, did not expect it and I am sure he didn't either. Plus I have online friends who breezed right through the surgery with no issues at all. My doctor said I did everything right but sometimes our bodies do what they want to. Please don't be mad at him, just give him some support and a little time to heal.

I was also nauseous for the first week. The doctor had me on pain pills and anti nausea pills and I kept getting worse. I couldn't drink Water or the Protein Shakes. I stopped the pain pills and anti nausea pills and tried eating a little bit of mashed potatoes watered down with skim milk. Once I started getting food in me and the pills out of my system I felt better. Everyone reacts different to surgery and pills.

Yup. If not on pain meds try stopping anti nausea meds. I quit both at the same time and I no longer suffered from nausea just as the case was with Pelicanlady. I also found drinking a whole container of Premier Protein drink made me light headed.. After a long explanation from my doctor he basically said limit my intake of Protein drink to 4oz at a time. That has helped me as well.

Thank you all for your help and input. I appreciate it :-) he took off his antinausea patch. Hopefully he'll be better tomorrow.

We've even tried essential oils for nausea. That didn't help.

Almost bright him to ER the other night but called or surgeon first. He just said to drink more (he's drinking more than I am) and scripted another nausea med that has helped a little. I'm getting very frustrated with him though. All he does is lay around. I feel he HAS to MOVE, get up, be determined to do all this and feel better!!! He hasn't drank much today yet. Just lays there and sleeps. I just want to tell at him to get the hell up. He gets frustrated too because of the nausea but at this point I feel the nausea is because of the equilibrium from laying down most of the time. He HAS to fight through this!!

Sorry, but I'm just venting. Better on her than to him.

Our post op appt is this wed. And that means he has to get up, ride in the car 20 minutes and walk to the Dr office and back. After that I'm making him stay up. I've had it.

We are 11 days post op now.

Edited by itsmekarenlee

My husband got sleeved 6 days ago. He's been nauseous since coming home, even with an antinausea ear patch and ondensentron. He's told the NURSE this and she says as long as he's not vomiting it's ok.

He's drinking mostly Water as the Protein drink makes the nausea worst.

I'm recovering too from rny same day but our recoveries are much different. I am stubborn and don't let surgeries get me down. I HAVE to get better fast as we have kids. This is his second though and last one was in 94. I am really frustrated with him not forcing himself to get up and deal through the nausea. Frustrated that he didn't do extensive research and learning beforehand like I did. Frustrated that he tells me to shut up when I try to help. I'm worried he will need to be readmitted.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is all this nausea normal for some?

This is what my doctor told me, so I think it is safe to share. he said there are three groups of people that have varying lengths of nausea. The first group has nausea for days, and then they feel better. The next group has it for weeks at a time, and then they feel better. Then there is the last group of people that have nausea for months. He said the longest time a patient of his suffered with this was four months.

I agree with the others that he should be monitored closely (which you already know, of course). I think this too shall pass and as long as he is medically monitored for complications, he should be okay.

Almost bright him to ER the other night but called or surgeon first. He just said to drink more (he's drinking more than I am) and scripted another nausea med that has helped a little. I'm getting very frustrated with him though. All he does is lay around. I feel he HAS to MOVE, get up, be determined to do all this and feel better!!! He hasn't drank much today yet. Just lays there and sleeps. I just want to tell at him to get the hell up. He gets frustrated too because of the nausea but at this point I feel the nausea is because of the equilibrium from laying down most of the time. He HAS to fight through this!!

Sorry, but I'm just venting. Better on her than to him.

Our post op appt is this wed. And that means he has to get up, ride in the car 20 minutes and walk to the Dr office and back. After that I'm making him stay up. I've had it.

We are 11 days post op now.

Wow, sounds like you are going through a lot right now, the both of you. Please come back and let us know how you are doing, both you and him.

I can see the frustration in your posts - I am sending positive thoughts your way. I know it will get better!

Heck, you might see me coming on here in about four weeks with the same problem!

Ok. Thx.so then I just need to work on my patience. But I still think he needs to get up and MOVE. Nausea our not. I'm worried he'll get pneumonia. He's worried about missing work.

ok. so maybe him not getting up and moving was legit. my bad. At our post op apt this afternoon our surgeon had me take him to the ER so they could give him fluids for dehydration, get blood work done and do ct scan. He is anemic we know that but surgeon doesn't think he'll need a transfusion. He told him that his counts were on the low side in the hospital too but that's not uncommon for sleeve patients because they can lose a lot of blood during surgery. But my husband and I feel he should have kept in in the hospital longer to make sure the count goes up. His count in the hospital was 25 and today it's 35. He is SO pale :(

He has to drink a huge amount of contrast, which will be impossible, in an hour and a half for the ct scan. Ya, good luck with that. There's got to be a better way.

Hopefully he will keep him overnight and run more blood work tomorrow to see how he's doing. Dr said he won't let him go home until he's feeling better. That's what we want to hear :)
BUT, he should have admitted him last Saturday night when I called him at 10pm to tell him he's not ok. :P

ok. so maybe him not getting up and moving was legit. my bad. At our post op apt this afternoon our surgeon had me take him to the ER so they could give him fluids for dehydration, get blood work done and do ct scan. He is anemic we know that but surgeon doesn't think he'll need a transfusion. He told him that his counts were on the low side in the hospital too but that's not uncommon for sleeve patients because they can lose a lot of blood during surgery. But my husband and I feel he should have kept in in the hospital longer to make sure the count goes up. His count in the hospital was 25 and today it's 35. He is SO pale :(

He has to drink a huge amount of contrast, which will be impossible, in an hour and a half for the ct scan. Ya, good luck with that. There's got to be a better way.

Hopefully he will keep him overnight and run more blood work tomorrow to see how he's doing. Dr said he won't let him go home until he's feeling better. That's what we want to hear :)

BUT, he should have admitted him last Saturday night when I called him at 10pm to tell him he's not ok. :P

Yes, that is good news that they are keeping him! Thanks for coming back with an update on how he is doing. I hope he feels better soon. I am currently anemic myself, and am working hard to raise my levels before I have surgery in two weeks. They said I will need to continue supplementation after surgery because there will be blood loss from it.

Thank goodness he's a man and doesn't have to deal with a period, which would drain him even more.