Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone, I'm new to this site and just starting the WLS process. I went to my informational seminar, set up my consultation appointment and decided I wanted the Sleeve. Called my insurance only to find out they won't cover the sleeve. So I'm left deciding between the Bypass or the Lap Band. I'm looking for your real life experiences with both and suggestions. Most of my friends have received the sleeve and love it, but since that is no longer an option let me know what you recommend. I know someone who has had the lap band and had to have it removed and someone with the bypass who needs Iron transfusions. I do plan on asking my PCP and surgeon for their recommendation as well.

Thanks for your help!!

From a former band patient who had complications (a slip) and went thru sleeve revision last year, I personallly would steer clear of the band. My dr only does them for those who insist on them now, he doesn't recommend them anymore.

I understand ur hesitancy over the RNY. If those were the only 2 I could choose from, however, I would probly choose the RNY. WHile the immediate complications outweigh the immediate complications from the band, the long term complications from the band far outweigh the RNY. My dr offered either the sleeve or the RNY following the removal of my band (in one surgery), said both were good choices. However, at the time my bmi was 28 (174 lbs) and I couldn't get past going thru RNY to lose 40 lbs.

It was lucky that my insurance company covered the sleeve. It wasn't offered to me in 2009 when I got my band and they started covering it 6 mths before my revision. SO thankfully I had a choice.

I would do ur research on the complications and long term results of both the band and the RNY. For the first 2 yrs, I loved my band. Gave me my life back and I lost 104 lbs. Until it slipped, most likely caused by the excessive vomiting (almost everyday). U'll be able to eat more of a variety of foods with the RNY (like healthy Proteins and fresh veggies) that u might be unable to eat with the band (some can eat whatever they want, some can only get "slider" foods down). But if ur a big fat/sugar fan, u might get dumping with the RNY. It all depends on ur lifestyle.

Research, research, research. Don't let anyone talk u into having something u feel uncomfortable with.

Good luck! If u have any other ?'s, plz pm me!

Thank you for your response. Your story sounds similar to that of the person I know who had the band removed. My BMI is 47 so I have quite a bit to lose. I don't crave sugars as much as salts such as pretzels and things. I do try to eat decent and have healthy Snacks when i have them and try to exercise at least 3 times a week. I don't have any health complications from being heavy but I am trying to avoid getting them.

Red wings- I just had RNY a week and a half ago so I'm no expert but I would encourage you to do research on credible sites and attend a support group meeting. What I found in my reading was that the RNY typically results in a higher percentage of weight loss which was what I needed. I felt if I was going to go through surgery I only wanted to do it once. I also read that the short-term risks of RNY tend to be more serious but less common than with the band. The long-term risks of the band tend to be less severe but more chronic than with RNY.

Thank you for your input. I've been doing a lot of research but I find the best answers come from people like this who have gone through or are going through the procedures.

Hey everyone, I'm new to this site and just starting the WLS process. I went to my informational seminar, set up my consultation appointment and decided I wanted the Sleeve. Called my insurance only to find out they won't cover the sleeve. So I'm left deciding between the Bypass or the Lap Band. I'm looking for your real life experiences with both and suggestions. Most of my friends have received the sleeve and love it, but since that is no longer an option let me know what you recommend. I know someone who has had the lap band and had to have it removed and someone with the bypass who needs Iron transfusions. I do plan on asking my PCP and surgeon for their recommendation as well.

Thanks for your help!!

Choose the bypass it has done wonders &accepted by most insurance companies before other surgery procedures

If you look at the average weight loss by surgery, the RNY has a much higher percent of excess weight loss. My doctor told me he will only do the band on really young women who are highly motivated, no kids... and he prefers not to do them at all.

Personally, even before he told me that, I wouldn't have gone with the band. I can't come to grips with the idea of having something implanted in me and having to have the fills.

My RNY has been basically painless... lost 25 pounds the first month (and I'm a relative lightweight -- that's over 10% of my starting weight). One month out, no nausea, no vomiting, no pain -- eating healthy (small) portions now and loving the feelings of no hunger... food doesn't control me any more.

Ginger

Thanks. I appreciate all of this helpful feedback. I am leaning toward the bypass based on my research and what everyone is saying here. I was worried about the malabsorption the most.

You do have another option , I was revised from a sleeve to an Omega loop bypass other wise none as a mini bypass that can be reversed. Im 6 weeks post op, have had no complications at all and 40lbs down

There are nightmare stories on ALL surgeries.

Many people tend to defend the surgery they picked which makes sense because it is what is best for them at the time of making the decision. Or if they are one that had complications which happen in each and every choice they bash that surgery which again, make sense.

The best thing to do is research the surgeons in your area and pick the most qualified and experienced one. When that happens you should have someone that is qualified to make that decision with you on what is best for YOU.

None of the choices are a one size fits all surgery. Lots of success and failure on them ALL.

When I went in for the seminar I wanted bypass but after having my personal appt with the surgeon and discussing the risk factors with all the surgeries the doctor and we decided lap band was the best choice for me.

I urge you to keep an open mind because when this is decided and time goes by, this is you this is happening to not everyone else. Many people don't follow the rules of the surgery they chose and lots of times that is the problem but not always.

I wish you success on which ever surgery you decide on, good luck.

Colleen

Which ever one you choose, it all comes down to you following the rules! No WLS out there can stop any of us from putting down the fork. Look at Carnie Wilson....

Edited by catlover602

There have been several posts that are right on so far. RNY or sleeve on average, produce a higher % of weight loss and have fewer complications.

Both are restrictive in that they can limit the amount of food you eat.

The band is not a restrictive tool. The way the band works is by helping you feel satisfied with less food. But it won't stop you from eating more food like the sleeve. Your entire stomach is still available for more food. The satiety signals with the band can be very subtle and for many they just never existed, so some patients continue to eat too fast and too big causing band slips and dilation of the pouch and esophagus.

The band is not for those who have very little self control. If you have no problem with having your body parts moved around or removed you're probably better off with RNY. You can go to any one of the WLS forums and find people who have lost 100's of lbs including the band forum. You can find many who are now living a normal life with normal BMIs.

You will also find failures for many reasons. Many obese people have severe and extreme eating habits that may never be controlled by any WLS. And many of these patients believe in their minds that they followed the rules to a T. And many did but sometimes our bodies reject something as unnatural as WLS. It happens. Good luck and sorry for the rant and ramble.

Edited by 2muchfun

I only looked at the band because there was NO way that I wanted my insides taken out. The band appealed to me because it was less invasive, faster recovery time, and reversible if needed. The others were not. I went back to work a week after surgery, followed my Dr.s rules 95% of the time, and the weight came off steadily. I lost 50 lbs the first 7 months and then gradualy lost another 15. I have never had ANY problems with the band. My Dr is very happy with my progress , as am I. It literaly gave me my life back and Im very grateful ! Best of luck to you !

Thanks so much for all of this valuable input.My consultation is not until 7/30 so I have some time to do additional research. I am also hoping to get in to my PCP before then to discuss his recommendations. I need to lose about 135lbs total and I look forward to this tool helping me to reach my goal. I've pretty much always struggled to lose weight even with diet and exercise.

I would vote for RNY. If your insurance is picky about what procedures they cover it makes me think they may not cover a revision down the road should you need to revise from band to something else. I had the band, followed the rules (I'll use the same 95% stat as above) and still had a slip and complications that weren't even resolved with revision surgery - and I know I am one of many. I'm so thankful that my insurance paid for my revision to sleeve. If you may only have one shot at this, I'd go for RNY for the best chance of longterm success.

That said - and I'm sure this was mentioned above, with RNY you need to make a lifetime commitment to taking your Vitamins and getting regular check-ups and blood testing to stay on top of any issues stemming from the malabsorption. I attend two different support groups and have heard many stories from veteran RNYers about issues down the road if they didn't stay vigilant on these things. But none of them (that I've spoken to) regret the surgery. I wish you the best in your journey!