Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm still pre-op BUT need insight and encouragement

Hello, I am making my way closer to my surgery day... which is expected to be in July 2014.

I am very excited, but also battling nervousness... which I know is normal. One fear that seems to be hitting me is the fear of proceeding with this surgery and not losing all the weight that I need to. I hear of many that lose in 90s and 100 pounds, and please don't misunderstand me, that is outstanding... really, I am not making light of that (I am not making light of any amount loss, because all that is lost is a victory)

I am just getting a bit scared because I know that I need to lose over 100 pounds and it scares me to think it wont happen. I am doing my best to keep positive and keep pressing toward that goal. What didn't help me was, looking up information in the hopes to encourage me and finding many places that tell me the opposite, saying that there are limits to the amount of weight you can lose even with having the sleeve... that truly made my heart sink, but also it created confusion too. I know that the sleeve is a tool, and see it as such... so I am thinking that if that is so, why would there be a low limit of weight to lose ...*basing that on if you still need to lose that weight and put in the effort* am I making sense with this rambling..lol

Long(er) story short, has anyone come through this losing more than what was 'predicted'? Has anyone with a similar challenge lost over the 100 pound mark?

ANY AND ALL INSIGHT, ENCOURAGMENT, ETC. WOULD BE TRULY HELPFUL...

Sincerely, Angi

I just got sleeved but I have the same concern.

My surgeon thinks a 70 lb loss will be excellent for me, but I need to lose 125 lbs.

Angi and JerseyCity, I was just sleeved 6/18 (Weds) and I have the same fear and confusion over how much I can expect to lose..I have over 100 to lose and when I hear 'you will lose 60 percent of your excess weight' I don't understand WHY? Like, what is stopping us from losing every last pound we want to? I don't know why this limitation is out there. I'm 5'1". The endocrinologist I saw a few months back said he be happy to see me at 170..well I would not be happy with that. I have been that in the past and still been very unhappy with myself. Then the surgeon said 110 lbs is a good goal and I thought that sounded wonderful. Anyway let me know if you have any insights or thoughts on this particular issue..best of luck to both of you!

I really don't believe there are limits to what you can do as long as you are committed to following a strict eating plan and reaching out for help when you need it. I have about 15 lbs to go to reach my goal but I am confident I will get there, and yes I have lost well over 100 lbs (check my ticker). I am on plan and still losing, even if not as fast as I was 9 months ago.

I know plenty of other people on this forum and others who have lost significantly more than 100 lbs and either are still losing or are successfully maintaining their weight loss. You can do this!

eta: 2 before pictures, and 1 "during" - 185 lbs down. I feel self-conscious posting these pics but I know that before & after (or during) pics really helped me a lot pre op. Hopefully these will show that yes you CAN lose over 100 lbs! I have been struggling with obesity my entire life and had never had this kind of success before.

gallery_133472_20026_10805.jpg

gallery_133472_20026_23275.jpg

gallery_133472_20026_11924.jpg

excuse my messy hair and room in this last pic - it was never intended for public consumption but it's the best I've got right now!

Edited by Bufflehead

Hey guys! Sleeved 2/19. Down 79lbs since preop. Just work the plan. Be committed! You can't just eat whatever you want in small amounts & be successful. I have no doubt that I will lose over 100lbs. As the weight comes off you will feel so much better!! It is a HUGE commitment though. Just prepare yourself for that. It has not been as hard as I anticipated. Best of luck to you!!

Hey guys! Sleeved 2/19. Down 79lbs since preop. Just work the plan. Be committed! You can't just eat whatever you want in small amounts & be successful. I have no doubt that I will lose over 100lbs. As the weight comes off you will feel so much better!! It is a HUGE commitment though. Just prepare yourself for that. It has not been as hard as I anticipated. Best of luck to you!!

When you say work the plan , you mean just takes your sips of Water and drink your 2oz of Protein Shakes and not venture on to other food that's not on the list

When you say work the plan , you mean just takes your sips of Water and drink your 2oz of Protein Shakes and not venture on to other food that's not on the list

Your doctor should give you a plan. The first month is a little rough. You do have to sip, sip, sip to get your water in. Definitely work on getting your Protein in too. But don't progress faster than you are suppose to. Don't eat things you know aren't healthy. Always eat your protein first & stop eating when you feel full. Don't "graze" all day, cause you will definitely eat too much. My doctor also suggests no bread, rice, Pasta or potatoes for a year. I'm 4 months out & it's easier to get off track now. I could eat anything, but everything is not a good idea (even in small amounts).

If you weren't given a plan, let me know. I will share mine with you. It progressed slowly over 6 weeks. It's definitely doable.

Best of luck!

I was sleeved 6/16 and home 6/18. The weight is coming off steadily already. But it's hard to stick to liquids since they're so repetitive. It's very hard to get all the Water, Protein, and Vitamins in the first week. I mean very hard you can't feel your stomach if you stay on pain meds and it's hard to tell if it's empty or full. Hunger is hard to identify and you're so tired. But as you come off the meds and you wake up things get easier and you can kind of set a little schedule to keep yourself in track.

Your doctor should give you a plan. The first month is a little rough. You do have to sip, sip, sip to get your Water in. Definitely work on getting your Protein in too. But don't progress faster than you are suppose to. Don't eat things you know aren't healthy. Always eat your protein first & stop eating when you feel full. Don't "graze" all day, cause you will definitely eat too much. My doctor also suggests no bread, rice, Pasta or potatoes for a year. I'm 4 months out & it's easier to get off track now. I could eat anything, but everything is not a good idea (even in small amounts). If you weren't given a plan, let me know. I will share mine with you. It progressed slowly over 6 weeks. It's definitely doable. Best of luck!

That's great boomgirl thank you for your support I would think all the meal plan are the same I personally would like your meal plan thank you

chocolatr48diva said it best! Stay on track. Follow the plan it works! It doesn't mean you will be perfect. None of us are. I was sleeved on 4/28/14 and down 53 pounds. I walk 4-5 days every evening. I love the feeling if getting in the shower and I notice there is a little bit less of my belly to wash. Weird but exciting for me.

The surgery will work. The extent to which it works & the long term effectiveness is up to you. You just have to stick to the plan. It does work. Also if you are willing to do the tough emotional work to get to the root causes behind your unhealthy eating habits, I think you will be even that much more successful

I really don't believe there are limits to what you can do as long as you are committed to following a strict eating plan and reaching out for help when you need it. I have about 15 lbs to go to reach my goal but I am confident I will get there, and yes I have lost well over 100 lbs (check my ticker). I am on plan and still losing, even if not as fast as I was 9 months ago.

I know plenty of other people on this forum and others who have lost significantly more than 100 lbs and either are still losing or are successfully maintaining their weight loss. You can do this!

eta: 2 before pictures, and 1 "during" - 185 lbs down. I feel self-conscious posting these pics but I know that before & after (or during) pics really helped me a lot pre op. Hopefully these will show that yes you CAN lose over 100 lbs! I have been struggling with obesity my entire life and had never had this kind of success before.

gallery_133472_20026_10805.jpg

gallery_133472_20026_23275.jpg

gallery_133472_20026_11924.jpg

excuse my messy hair and room in this last pic - it was never intended for public consumption but it's the best I've got right now!

Thank you so very much for sharing! This truly helped me a lot. I can relate to what you shared about not wanting to share pictures and I commend you for sharing them with me... You look great!

I am truly hopeful hearing you share that not only is it possible, but that there are others who have had that same success.

I know not every journey is the same, but knowing that it is possible to break through and go beyond the limited expectations (the ones that you generally hear of... 60% of excess weight loss) that helps me greatly and caused a change in my mindset.... that my goal can be reached. =) Congratulations on your successful journey! =)