Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2014 October Surgery

Hello Everyone,

Well first of all I would like to thank my Dr's offce for introducing me to these websites :) I am hoping to have my surgery in October and if everything goes according to plan it will happen......I been on my diet for a month and lost 7 lbs, it doesn't sound like much but to me it is because I was at a standstill in my weight. I am just keeping focused and trying very hard to be good and not eat what I shouldn't which is hard but I know I have to stay positive because this is my health I am talking about!! I want to be around for as long as the Lord lets me but also enjoying doing activities that I could not before. So good luck to all who will be having the surgery before me.....

good luck to u too!!!

Best of luck!

Hello Everyone,

Well I am starting my sixth week of dieting and it is not going to good, yes I slipped and ate more of things that I shouldn’t have but I am now refocused and know I need to change my eating habits, yes it’s hard but I have to think of my health….my family, my life and I need to stay positive!!! I have to research healthy Snacks because when I am at work I tend to get hungrier…..at home not so much. I guess the lucky thing is they took out the vending machine here at work which contained a lot of candy, chips, etc….. So bring on the healthy snacks and good healthy food…..

How is everyone progressing towards your surgery?

Edited by dtiller1147

I will probably also have surgery in October (maybe late September if all the stars align). I am in month 4 of 6 of the required medically supervised diet. I haven't lost more than 10 pounds. I have 2 more scheduled appointments besides my monthly appointments for weight loss, one with a nutiritionist (one on one) and one with the psychologist scheduled for July 29th and August 7th. I also have to go to one support group meeting (July 19th) and one nutrition class that will explain what to expect before and after surgery. I am not sure when that is, but that isn't required by insurance, but by the doctor. At my consultation in February, the doctor said to schedule that class less than a month from my surgery date so that all the information will be fresh in my mind. I should have all of my paperwork to submit to insurance on September 2nd or 3rd and the coordinator says it takes around a week to hear back from insurance.

Has anyone else had the psychologist appointment? What should I expect?

I will probably also have surgery in October (maybe late September if all the stars align). I am in month 4 of 6 of the required medically supervised diet. I haven't lost more than 10 pounds. I have 2 more scheduled appointments besides my monthly appointments for weight loss, one with a nutiritionist (one on one) and one with the psychologist scheduled for July 29th and August 7th. I also have to go to one support group meeting (July 19th) and one nutrition class that will explain what to expect before and after surgery. I am not sure when that is, but that isn't required by insurance, but by the doctor. At my consultation in February, the doctor said to schedule that class less than a month from my surgery date so that all the information will be fresh in my mind. I should have all of my paperwork to submit to insurance on September 2nd or 3rd and the coordinator says it takes around a week to hear back from insurance.

I had mine already, it was pretty simple. I had to fill out questionnaire (maybe 25 questions max) . Then we just talk about the types of surgery's and the sleeve option I had chosen. They go over the depression questions and how you feel in public being overweight. What was the main reasons for doing weight loss surgery vs my other attempt to lose the weight. You will be fine, just answer questions confidently and honestly.

Dtiller- Thanks! I got the paperwork from the doctor and it said it would take from 3-5 hours and I couldn't figure out what all they were going to want to discuss. It is the appointment I have been most nervous about...well that appointment and my pulmonary clearance. I have an auto-immune disease called Sarcoidosis and my lungs have a lot of scar tissue and I was afraid I wouldn't get cleared for surgery although I have had surgery in the past year. But, I did receive clearance so the psychologist is my next hurdle. I don't think the one on one nutrition appointment will be too bad.

Do you have to jump through insurance hoops too?

I had mine already, it was pretty simple. I had to fill out questionnaire (maybe 25 questions max) . Then we just talk about the types of surgery's and the sleeve option I had chosen. They go over the depression questions and how you feel in public being overweight. What was the main reasons for doing weight loss surgery vs my other attempt to lose the weight. You will be fine, just answer questions confidently and honestly.

Mine was about 2 hours and 45 min too, but that also included talking with nurse practisioner about all my medical history and weight loss history and my before body measurements and weight. All before I talked with Phys.

Yes, a lot of hoops, still need my Pulmonary, Cardiologist, and EDG and 3 life skill classes and 2 more nutrition classes. August will be a lot of appointments.LOL

Dtiller- Thanks! I got the paperwork from the doctor and it said it would take from 3-5 hours and I couldn't figure out what all they were going to want to discuss. It is the appointment I have been most nervous about...well that appointment and my pulmonary clearance. I have an auto-immune disease called Sarcoidosis and my lungs have a lot of scar tissue and I was afraid I wouldn't get cleared for surgery although I have had surgery in the past year. But, I did receive clearance so the psychologist is my next hurdle. I don't think the one on one nutrition appointment will be too bad.

Do you have to jump through insurance hoops too?

Dtiller- I found out from my surgery coordinator that my pulmonology clearance could come from my primary care doctor that I have been seeing every month for the monitored diet portion. It saved me one appointment and one more co-pay. What is an EDG? I don't think I have to do that. My surgeon said something about looking at the veins in my legs before surgery because I have a history of blood clots (although, not in my legs, the only one I had formed 5 inches from my heart) but the coordinator hasn't mentioned it. If she doesn't mention it, I am definitely not going to mention it.

BTW- Sorry if I'm chatty, LOL

Mine was about 2 hours and 45 min too, but that also included talking with nurse practisioner about all my medical history and weight loss history and my before body measurements and weight. All before I talked with Phys.

Yes, a lot of hoops, still need my Pulmonary, Cardiologist, and EDG and 3 life skill classes and 2 more nutrition classes. August will be a lot of appointments.LOL

Edited by Amyly2n

I actually have 2 more nut visit and my psychologist evaluation.............so hopefully I can get a surgery date for late Sept or 1st week Oct.

Those 6 months really went by faster then I expected

Amy, Esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EDG) is basicly a scope that goes down into your stomach to look on the insided to make sure there is nothing going on prior to surgery. Some folks may have to have a Biopsy performed. This is usually required by most surgerons prior to VSG.

I have to be cleared by a pulmnologist, because I have had sleep apena for a long time. Please chat away if you have other questions that is what this site is for. Just keep in mind though Docs vary greatly in what they require plus we are all different!

Dtiller- I found out from my surgery coordinator that my pulmonology clearance could come from my primary care doctor that I have been seeing every month for the monitored diet portion. It saved me one appointment and one more co-pay. What is an EDG? I don't think I have to do that. My surgeon said something about looking at the veins in my legs before surgery because I have a history of blood clots (although, not in my legs, the only one I had formed 5 inches from my heart) but the coordinator hasn't mentioned it. If she doesn't mention it, I am definitely not going to mention it.

I actually have 2 more nut visit and my psychologist evaluation.............so hopefully I can get a surgery date for late Sept or 1st week Oct.

Hi Tiffany, you are right it did go fast for me too, and seems like speed is picking up now even more.

DTiller- I'm not sure I have to do the EGD. I guess I'll find out. I thought I'd have to go to the pulmonologist too considering the sarcoidosis and I have sleep apnea, but they said my normal doctor can clear me and I have to provide a 2 week print out showing compliance with my CPAP as far as the sleep apnea goes. I am waiting until I am sure I have 2 weeks of full compliance for that. I will do great and then I'll have a night where I take my mask off several times in the night and I start my 2 week count again! I am finding out every doctor and every insurance is different. Thankfully a coworker's husband had surgery in April using the same doctor and same insurance, so I know a lot of what to expect from him.

Tiffany- It has flown by! I just realized a week ago that I only had about 2 months left and now feel a little panicked. I am constantly reading up on things so that I can be as prepared as I can be.

I am looking at an October surgery date. I have completed my consultation, psych eval and dietitian appt. I've been to 2 of the required support groups and next week I start an 8 week skills class. It's one hour with the psychologist and one hour with the dietitian. During the 8 week skills class, I have to lose 11lbs to be approved for surgery. Then they process the insurance approval and I would have a 2 week pre-op diet.

I am impatient and hate all the waiting but I'm thankful that my surgeon puts so much effort into preparing patients for this big change. I'm hoping I'll be better prepared when the time finally comes. And a few pounds lighter.