Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey, everyone. I'm 68 1/2. And I'm still waiting for surgery, going through the hoops, feeling gung ho about this surgery. I'm already exercising, counting my Protein grams, drinking lots of Water, and started seeing a shrink. I'm going into this journey the "rightest" way I know how.

Glad to be among a group of folks who have learned a lot from life. It's especially great to hear from those who are further along than I.

VSGAnn2014--congratulations on your decision! Any feel for when your surgery date will be? Sometimes the waiting for "them" when we're ready "now" is challenging, to say the least . . .

I'm not sure. The only hoop I have left is meeting with the nutritionist. I don't know whether I'll be expected to eat a certain way for a specific time or not. I plan to go into that meeting with a 3-ring binder of My Fitness Pal records for several months, showing the food choices I'm making, my Water consumption, etc.

That's what I did at my required exercise consultant meeting a week ago -- walked in with my Fitbit and My Fitness Pal records. Then she gave me a short fitness test, and performed (speed wise) exactly as I (and my records) predicted I would perform. She was very impressed. In short, I'm trying to "advance place" forward as fast as possible.

Then comes insurance approvals (with Medicare and Medicare supplemental should be fast), then surgery scheduled, then two-week pre-op Protein diet. Then surgery. I suppose (and am hoping) my surgery could happen as early as mid-August.

In other words, I'm trying to do everything I can to speed things up, while being a relatively patient, cooperative patient. You know the drill, I'm sure. :)

I'll be 68 next month. Haven't had the surgery yet - but hoping to in Sept. I've completed all my

tests and just waiting for the cardiologist letter and my Aug 18th visit to the doctor. I hope at

that time, I can schedule it and begin my 2 week liquid fast. How are the rest of us "youngsters"

doing?

8 months post sleeve and my husband has lost 100 lbs. I stopped losing at 60 lbs but I feel fabulous and look as good as I ever want to look. I just bought a yoga and exercise dvd. Life is better than ever.

I'm 66 (67 next month) and having surgery on Tuesday. I'm "enjoying" my seven day pre op diet, but very committed to doing everything right.

I thought about WLS before but wanted to have a lap band. I had two doctors tell me that it just wasn't a good idea and that I should have a RNY. After looking at that option it just didn't seem right for me. I'm not diabetic nor is sugar my downfall. I just love food - too much of it. When I heard about the sleeve I decided it was the best choice for me.

I was thin as a cold and young adult, but started packing on the pounds around age 40. Like most everyone here I tried about every diet and program available and some worked temporarily, but the weight always returned.

I have severe arthritis in both knees and need knee replacements. Although my orthopedist will do it without the weight loss I really want to be in top shape before I undergo that. We went to Europe on a cruise last spring and my knees were so painful I actually skipped tours in a couple of ports. Never again!

I'm looking forward to a new, healthier life on the losing side.

Good for you, Kate! Hoping all goes well for you with your surgery. I'm 65 and this has be Ben the best thing I've done for myself. Kind of hating on the saggy skin, but better than the 'puffy' skin. Let us know how things are going for you.

Good for you, Kate! Hoping all goes well for you with your surgery. I'm 65 and this has be Ben the best thing I've done for myself. Kind of hating on the saggy skin, but better than the 'puffy' skin. Let us know how things are going for you.

Thank you. I'm looking forward to being on the losing side of this! Hopefully all will go well.

One correction, I was thin as a child (not a "cold"!).

I'm doing great! I am two months out from surgery and feeling wonderful. I have lost 42 lbs and couldn't feel better about my decision. I still don't eat everything I can have. Lettuce still doesn't sit well with me, but I am finding that food isn't as important as it use to be and I only eat now to get in my Protein.

I've had some back and knee issues that have held back my exercise. I work my way up to 30 minutes and then have a set back, but my pain management doctor is giving me an epidural in my back this Thursday and that should help a lot. I hope this takes care of the pain.

My insulin keeps getting reduced and my doctor believes I will be off of it in time. My blood pressure is below normal with half a dose of med. and I hope I can try going off of it after my appt. on Tuesday. Things couldn't be going better!

You are all doing so well. I understand about the pain. I've had 2 knees, 2 hips, and one shoulder - all total replacements. But now I still have another shoulder that needs a replacement and an

arm that I can't straighten at the elbow - both very painful. I am so looking forward to the surgery. What I really want to know is what are the best tasting of the Protein Drinks that are at

least 20 gm. Protein and under 200 calories? And when you make your own, if you're not used to or don't like spinach, etc. in your drinks, how do you handle it? I'm afraid that green drinks will

taste horrible. I keep thinking about the sagging skin and rashes,etc. But I have to laugh to

myself cause I think about going into a plastic surgeon after I lose my weight and have breast

work. I can't imagine myself at 69 yrs. old having perky breasts.

Welcome, sweetness. Best wishes to you along this journey.

Since my post above, I met with the nutritionist and got a "Pass!" based on my food records from the previous 6 weeks. Whew!

The next day, I got a call from the surgeon's office to schedule surgery. I'll start my 2-week pre-op diet a week from today, then have surgery in mid-August.

19sweetness69 I use Unjury Protein powders. They advertise on this site. I order it from them online or can get it at my doctor's office. I like the strawberry Sorbet, and chocolate Splendor. I add ice, Water, and crystal light lemonade to the Strawberry for a great 21gm. Protein Drink, and the chocolate I make with ice, 1/2 c. of milk and it tastes like a Wendy's Frosty.

I'm 66 (67 next month) and having surgery on Tuesday. I'm "enjoying" my seven day pre op diet, but very committed to doing everything right.

I thought about WLS before but wanted to have a lap band. I had two doctors tell me that it just wasn't a good idea and that I should have a RNY. After looking at that option it just didn't seem right for me. I'm not diabetic nor is sugar my downfall. I just love food - too much of it. When I heard about the sleeve I decided it was the best choice for me.

I was thin as a cold and young adult, but started packing on the pounds around age 40. Like most everyone here I tried about every diet and program available and some worked temporarily, but the weight always returned.

I have severe arthritis in both knees and need knee replacements. Although my orthopedist will do it without the weight loss I really want to be in top shape before I undergo that. We went to Europe on a cruise last spring and my knees were so painful I actually skipped tours in a couple of ports. Never again!

I'm looking forward to a new, healthier life on the losing side.

Hi you sound so much like me I turned 67 today didn't start getting heavy till my late 40 having problems with my knee and have diabetes now I want to spend these later years in better shape I am scared and excited at the same time have my first appointment August 5

Nothing new to report here. All is still on schedule for surgery on August 18.

I start my pre-op diet on Monday. Have two weeks of it. Am already sampling Protein shakes.

I'm sending encouragement out to everyone here whether they're pre-op or post-op.

BTW, I don't know why anyone (including us) thinks post-65'ers are old. This is the prime of life, kids!

I will be 68 in a couple weeks. Just got my birthday present from my husband. A Kayak, not a new rocker! Loving it!!!!!!!

Ditto to much of what you guys said except I don' have diabetes. Weight gain after 40. I had 2 hip resurfacings and wouldn't know they were not my hips but I didn't want to outlive them so decided on WLS. Wanted the lap band but my Dr's explained why there wasn't a high success rate on them. Also when I went through the pre classes there were quite a few band revisions to sleeve.

My loss is slow but sure. 30 lbs down and I feel so much better. Arthritis pain is way down, BP normal, people compliment me on looking good and psychologically and emotionally I feel great. I did this for ME and it's the best decision I could of made for my health. I'm 1/2 way to my goal of size 10. I'm down to a 14 and loving it. The saying I'm not getting older I'm getting better is so true for me now.

Good luck you'll do fine as long as you put your mind to it.

Hi you sound so much like me I turned 67 today didn't start getting heavy till my late 40 having problems with my knee and have diabetes now I want to spend these later years in better shape I am scared and excited at the same time have my first appointment August 5

I'm now four days post surgery and feeling great. I haven't even had much pain. I've only lost a couple pounds so far, but I know that's because I had so much Fluid given during my two day stay. I know it will start coming off soon.

They ran lab tests before surgery that indicated I had low sodium - low enough that they were considering postponing it. There was that old part of me that was thinking "Yay! Now I can go have a costco hot dog!". Don't ask me why that was my fixation! Fortunately they got my sodium up and surgery progressed. I'm so happy it did.

A couple of my big concerns were unbearable pain, which didn't happen, and just not feeling like myself. I don't know how to explain that other than the sense that I would be different if I couldn't eat the foods I wanted when I wanted to. And perhaps that part of me is gone, hopefully for good. I don't want food cravings to control my life anymore. I still want to be able to enjoy food but not have it the center of my universe, if that makes sense.

Inside I feel young and I look forward to having my body allow me to be young longer. So far there has been one major NSV, I'm off one of my blood pressure medicines and only use a diuretic now. My surgeon thinks I will be off that soon.

Kate