Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I thought the bag thing a bit strange too. I guess that would work if you couldn't burp or things didn't go out the other way.

I'm glad to see if a year down the road I have a crazy craving that it will be OK. I love seeing all the success stories! Can't wait for the end of May for my sleeve!

So any of your successful sleevers recovering diet pepsi drinkers? I think it is the "you can't every have again" that is depressing pre-screened. I love the crisp taste of a cold diet pepsi. And through every diet (some successful losses, just never maintained), I was always glad that even if I was restricted to chicken breast I could enjoy a cold diet pepsi after work. I've gone off of before so I know I can... Is just. Well. You know....

Anyone know what I'm talking about? Were you anxious about it before sleeve but it's turned out to be no biggy?

Hi. I was sleeved almost 6 months ago and I too was totally addicted to diet pepsi. I was told no carbonation ever. It's really not that difficult. I honestly don't even miss it. Everything changes post op after a while and things you thought you couldn't live without become no big deal, just a distant memory. Good luck

Thanks for sharing this post. I can relate to the pepsi addiction... I have been a bit worried on how I will do without it, *though I know in the bigger picture of things for my health I know it will be worth it* This post encouraged me.I look forward to my change too, though surgery is not until the summer...

Wow! I am so glad this was posted. I am still in my 3-month pre-op phase, but am trying to prepare myself as much as I can.
I have considered diet pepsi.... my go to (as opposed to coffee) but also have heard that once I am sleeved carbonated beverages are not good, as they can cause stretching. I know in the long run, though it may or may not be easy, it is worth doing in light of what I will be gaining (my health), but reading this post and the many replies, truly has helped. Thanks.

I have a regular dr. pepper once in a while with no problem. For those that want the taste without the carbonation, go to Sonic and order a diet (whatever soda) made into a slush. They make it into an icee type drink using the flavored Syrup, but not the carbonation. It taste the same, and has the same caffine without the bubbles. Just a word or warning though there are a few calories in the slush mix, but not enough to derail your progress. I lived on diet dr pepper slush with cherry and vanilla when I was on the liquid only phase in the first days post-op. The cold liquids helped with swelling and also kept me hydrated.

I have a regular dr. pepper once in a while with no problem. For those that want the taste without the carbonation, go to Sonic and order a diet (whatever soda) made into a slush. They make it into an icee type drink using the flavored Syrup, but not the carbonation. It taste the same, and has the same caffine without the bubbles. Just a word or warning though there are a few calories in the slush mix, but not enough to derail your progress. I lived on diet dr pepper slush with cherry and vanilla when I was on the liquid only phase in the first days post-op. The cold liquids helped with swelling and also kept me hydrated.

Interesting. Im going to have to try that.

i was never a diet pepsi lover... I did however love regular pepsi. The diet had a strange aftertaste..... And just so you all know all diet sodas contain aspartane with has been found to be toxic to our systems..... Anyone that is not aware of this should read all the ill effects that this artificial sweetener can cause to your health.... that alone makes me not want to drink diet sodas of any kind. I used to crave regular pepsi or coke every once in a while but never was addicted to pepsi or coke..... coffee is my source of caffeine but i only have one cup per day.

I do miss coke and pepsi and maybe sprite but i can live without it. With all the gas and belching I do, I cannot imagine how horrible it would feel to drink a soda now. I don't want to t try and more than anything else I would never want to stretch out my sleeve on something like soda .... it's not worth it after suffering so much to have this surgery..... I can honestly say I don't crave it anymore. Let's all have a diet pepsi funeral and bury it forever now.... :) :) :D

I am still pre-op and completely addicted to REGULAR MTN DEW...yes, it's like my crack.

I can easily down 1-2 44oz cups every day. I was told no carbonation again after surgery, likely ever.

I have a good friend who had RNY about 12 years ago and she tells me that instead of going back to pop, she turned towards a diet slurpee and that has served just fine if she gets a craving for pop.

I had another friend who had lap-band many years ago and she used to open a pop, pour it into a cup and throw it in the fridge for a day or so to let out the carbonation, then drink it.

Even knowing these things, I have made my peace with my pop and I PLAN to walk away from it completely. I have heard that most of the time, your tastes change post-op and many things that you craved pre-op aren't an issue.

My NUT told me to pour some soda in a Ziploc bag and seal it up. Then carry the bag around while you do your housework or go up and down the stairs a few times. The bag will start to expand and bloat because of the carbonation. This is the same reaction it will have on your sleeve.

That image sticks with me when I think about having a Coke after I'm sleeved. I just won't take that chance.

Now this is advice! I'm going to try it. That will really help me to avoid sodas.

Carbonation will stretch your sleeve. I was told by my surgeon and nutritionist no carbonated drinks of any kind ever. Lucky for me, I always preferred bottled Water so it hasn't and won't be an issue in my wl journey.

I was a Dr. Pepper drinker so I get what you guys are saying, the idea of NEVER again having one makes me want one bad, but my way of doing things hadn't really worked before. I am craving soda more now than ever but I am sure it is just that I can't ever have it again. But I did like that I went through the withdrawal during post-op.

I'm a singer and without thinking took a couple of sips of Diet Coke yesterday between masses. OMG, the first part of that second mass was a mess for me. Lots of gas; lots of burping. I'll stick with the unsweetened iced tea when I am somewhere and want to get a fountain drink. Stopped having sodas pre-op and haven't really had any since. Except yesterday. Not worth it.

@@Go4itLori interesting experiment. I like it. I am going to do it. I started my journey a few weeks ago in meeting with my dr. since then I have slowly cut my soda intake. I was never a huge drinker of soda (2 a day max!), I am down to one every other day and plan to be off soda by the time i meet with my surgeon.

I'm about 6 weeks out and I had some soda at about a month out. I don't really buy the whole sleeve stretching thing. I burp and belch too much after drinking it to believe that the carbonation is stuck down there stretching it out.

However, it doesn't hold the same appeal that it used to for me. I've had a 2 liter of Cherry Coke Zero in my fridge for two weeks and it's still got almost half the soda left in it. I have a few sips every now and then - that's it. Since I drink so little of it, I'm not becoming addicted to caffeine again either.

OK my nutritionist Dr said that after about a year and a half and you've done a losing all that you want to lose you can have a few sips, like 1oz. Not a whole glass not a lot but a sip. Which will suffice. I just want to taste that crisp lovely taste now and then. Lol

All sleeved now!