Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm Surprised at some people's weight and still get surgery

I see people who weigh less than 200 lbs. and get the sleeve or they start with the band and revise over to sleeve well below 200 lbs. I'm surprised a surgeon would do this or insurance would approve it.

Depends on their height and comorbidities. I know Kaiser will do the surgery on someone with 35 BMI with comorbidities. For someone 5 feet tall, this could be as.low as 180 lbs.

And revision is not always done for weight loss. Scar tissue and reflux can trigger a revision, even if the person is at goal weight.

Lynda

I didn't think about the 35 BMI, which could be making the difference!

Yup, I'm 195 but I'm only 5'1". My bmi is 36-37, and I have high bp. Insurance approved it in 2 days.

Eeeeeek! I can't read tone on the interwebz, but I can say I wish I'd done something about my weight (other than every diet plan in the book) before I hit 264.

I used to inwardly sneer at the women who came into WWs with only 10-15 pounds to lose. How smart were they to get it under control before it turned into 50, 75, 100 pounds?

Edited by LipstickLady

Eeeeeek! I can't read tone on the interwebz, but I can say I wish I'd done something about my weight (other than every diet plan in the book) before I hit 264.

I used to inwardly sneer at the women who came into WWs with only 10-15 pounds to lose. How smart were they to get it under control before it turned into 50, 75, 100 pounds?

I have to agree, though I can't say I always did. I used to think it was a risk not worth taking, but now that I'm on the other side and fighting with 10 pounds, I see it. I spent most of my adult life being obese and not fully enjoying my life. I missed out on so much of kids childhood because of it....we all have our own struggles and journeys. So, if I could have done this with a BMI of 35 instead of 52, I think that would have been WAY better!

That's why I wish our height showed up under our names along with all the other stuff.

Eeeeeek! I can't read tone on the interwebz, but I can say I wish I'd done something about my weight (other than every diet plan in the book) before I hit 264. <br><br> I used to inwardly sneer at the women who came into WWs with only 10-15 pounds to lose. How smart were they to get it under control before it turned into 50, 75, 100 pounds?

Yes ma'am lol I was the same way. I am guilty of looking at a lady thinking to myself "REALLY" but on the real had I had been more focused early on I wouldnt be here at a whopping 105 lbs over weight so yup those that intervened early on was on point.

I thought the same thing initially until I started talking to "light weights" and realizing just because they're on the lighter side they still had issues like diabetes, high bp, sleep apnea and it all made sense.

I thought the same thing initially until I started talking to "light weights" and realizing just because they're on the lighter side they still had issues like diabetes, high bp, sleep apnea and it all made sense.

Very true

Yup. I am currently in the high 180s, but I also am a shorty with apnea, terrible cholesterol, reflux, and on my way to full blown diabetes. Rather take things in hand now than to let things get worse, and I know they would!

I was sleeved yesterday. When I first saw my surgeon my BMI was 35 with htn, pre diabetes and elevated cholesterol. Yesterday I was at a BMI of 33.9 because of following the diet program before surgery. Everyone looks at you like your crazy when you are sleeved at a lower BMI. Since I've been in the hospital I think about 3-4 people have said it to me. Its not just the weight people it's the health!! They just don't get it. But, on a lighter note (ha) recovery has been fairly easy so far. No nausea, able to get in liquids etc. Kinda like a gallbladder surgery but with drains.;)

I am a "light" weight. 5'5 215-211 lbs. But I have Type II diabetes, which has already begun to take a toll on my kidney function. I am approved thru my insurance. I think my BMI is like 35-36 but with the co morbidity, I got approved. Most people don't think I look like I weigh that much, but I hide it well. I have been overweight my whole life and had gestational diabetes with both my pregnancies. My other blood work is ok, (LDL is a little high) but I don't want to get worse. I also had to have a microdisectomy on L4-L5 this past April for a ruptured disc, so my back doc says a loss of 50+ pounds will do good things for my spine!!!

I'm a lightweight as well. 204 lbs. - 5' 3" with severe sleep apnia, RA, and hypothyroidism. Strokes and diabetes run on both sides of my family and I've decided to take my health seriously and get this done. People look at me and say the same thing...that I don't look overweight. Well I do and I can't get into my smaller clothes and refuse to buy any more larger sizes.

My current weight is 238lbs, my highest ever had been 249lbs, I'm a very short dude, 5 ft 5in, but used to lift weights and I was an infantryman for 20 years in the Army. My weight before I retired from the military was 190-200lbs, I always passed my Physical Fitness test and Height and Weight requirements. My "combat" weight was 180lbs in 2006...so I, guess I'm trying to say that, it's OK I guess...some people have other ailments, and the surgery would benefit their overall health. I have sleep apnea, and VERY high cholesterol. I exercise 3 to 4 times a week and have try to stay away from carbs, and its, still not enough...So I'm excited for my surgery next Thursday! !