Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December post ops

I know it's boring, but have you tried running/jogging in place on a cushion or mini-trampoline? It's so boring on my treadmill, that I made a desk. It's really just a shelf board across the arms of the treadmill and some foam insulation pieces above that, so I can put my laptop on top and make posts to this forum as I walk. I can also watch videos, and play games while I walk. I think if I didn't have this, I'd set up some cushions or a mini-tramp in front of the TV.

I'll have to try the mini trampoline. I saw some at Walmart and they aren't expensive. I've got two toddlers, maybe we'll but out in some mousercise... lol

I am really worried. RNY on Dec 9 (324) then two weeks check up Dec 23 (313) now Dec 31 (315). What is going on? I am so worried anyone else actually gain weight?

I am really worried. RNY on Dec 9 (324) then two weeks check up Dec 23 (313) now Dec 31 (315). What is going on? I am so worried anyone else actually gain weight?

Constipated.? Retaining Fluid? Menstruation soon?

I am only suppose to walk right now and then at six weeks add weights!

I am only suppose to walk right now and then at six weeks add weights!

It might be the difference between men's and women's muscle mass. My dumbbell routine is with lighter weights than I'm used to. I'll try to increase it when I'm able. My NUT and ARNP told me to get enough Protein and I think I am. With the Protein Shakes and the protein in my pureed foods I think I'm getting over 60 grams per day.

Sw

Hw302

Cw240

Surgery Oct 7th

Constipated.? Retaining Fluid? Menstruation soon?

Could be all the Miralax I take to keep from getting constipated. But now that you mention it probably Water retention. I went from 80mg lasix to none.

Could be all the Miralax I take to keep from getting constipated. But now that you mention it probably Water retention. I went from 80mg lasix to none.

Probably is! No worries!

Hi everyone. New to this site. I had RNY 18 years ago and went from 353 to 218. I then learned to cheat the surgery and over the years I gained back to 306. On 7/25/13, I met with the surgeon and nutritionist to map out a plan for a revision. I worked with the NUT (when I had surgery the first time there was no NUT support). I had the revision on 12/3/13 and weighed in at 248 - lost 58 pounds just with diet and adding in exercise every day. I was 4 weeks post-op yesterday and I am down to 222 - lost 26 pounds. The revision did not touch the pouch even though it is stretched out. My surgeon moved the roux limb to create much more malabsorption. I have to push for 110+ grams of Protein a day and that is difficult. My three goals are: 1 get under 218, my best weight from the first time (only 4 more pounds), 2 get under 200, and 3 my ultimate goal weight is 185.

How did you cheat the rny? I don't want to gain all my weight back after I lose it so gives us a no no list! Your experience could help us alot

I am more than happy to share my experience. 18 years ago the hospital had me on solid food before I could leave. Now it is liquid to purée for almost all surgeon's programs. I was also never given pre or post surgical nutritional guidance. That is now a requirement by almost all insurances that are footing the bill. I was also not told to withhold fluids 30 minutes before, during and for 30 minutes after each meal. I was never given instructions regarding between meal Protein supplements or even how much protein to target each day. Most importantly, I kept pushing the boundaries and desensitized myself to the physical effects if dumping so I could eat absolutely everything I ate before surgery. I went into the surgery the first time at age 25 thinking it was a magic cure and I wouldn't have to sacrifice long term. That was very wrong. 18 years later, I could eat the same volume of food I could before the initial surgery. I had stretched the pouch and the anastomoses. I even caused the intestinal tract connected to the pouch to become distended. The surgeon decided that long term results are poor for fixing the pouch issues but evidence shows long term success with the roux limb lengthening. My initial limb was about 50cm. The surgeon says the standard now is 60 to 75cm. He lengthened mine to 180cm. That is roughly six feet of small intestines bypassed for increased malabsorption. I am very fortunate, my same surgeon who did the initial surgery also did my revision. He is now the Director of the Bariatric Center of Excellence for the largest health system in Northern Virginia. I trust him enough that my husband had initial RNY with him two weeks before my surgery. He is doing amazingly.

How unfortunate that you did not get all the tools along with your pouch! I am sooo scared of stretching mine that I get to feeling guilty for eating! Grant you I am not eating that much and I have to eat !

The pouch will stretch naturally but you certainly don't want to help it along. I was told I can return to solid food by week three but I am continuing the puréed food until 2/6/14 in a show of solidarity with my husband. Two ounces per meal is extremely difficult for me because my pouch is about 12 ounces and I have rapid emptying of the pouch so there is never the feeling of being full or satisfied.

How unfortunate that you did not get all the tools along with your pouch! I am sooo scared of stretching mine that I get to feeling guilty for eating! Grant you I am not eating that much and I have to eat !

I don't think there were any 'tools' to help you be successful that long ago. Support (psychological and nutrition education) is very important for our success and good health. They know so much more now. We are very fortunate to have the total package that is necessary for long term success today. IF we use it, that is. Failure is still possible if we don't do our part. :-)