Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December post ops

How did the bacon look puréed that sounds good!

I mixed the bacon with the eggs. Yum! Also, homemade pizza toppings pureed are good. At least my wife's pastrami and cheese toppings pureed well!

I'm seven months out. I don't get full in the same way I did pre-op. If you are waiting for that same full feeling you used to get, it may never happen. My 'full' feeling now is a slight pain/pressure in the center of my chest just between my lower ribs. If I feel that it means stop eating immediately. One more bite will mean pain, nausea, and several hours of pure misery. I've learned the subtle signs and when to stop. Your signs of fullness may be similar or different, but you will learn through your own experience how to recognize it. You don't generally feel much fullness in the liquid stage as liquids flow through the stoma fairly quickly. You will feel satisfied but it won't last as long as the feeling you get with solids. I don't wait for my full feeling. I eat a measured, safe portion of food. I may not finish it all but I never eat more than that (learned through painful experience). With each of us it's trial and error. You'll figure out what works best for you.

I get the pain and nausea and cold sweats. That's my signal that I've swallowed too much or too fast. It's like a speed governor in a truck--no matter how much you stomp the gas pedal, you can't go any faster.

I'm seven months out. I don't get full in the same way I did pre-op. If you are waiting for that same full feeling you used to get, it may never happen. My 'full' feeling now is a slight pain/pressure in the center of my chest just between my lower ribs. If I feel that it means stop eating immediately. One more bite will mean pain, nausea, and several hours of pure misery. I've learned the subtle signs and when to stop. Your signs of fullness may be similar or different, but you will learn through your own experience how to recognize it. You don't generally feel much fullness in the liquid stage as liquids flow through the stoma fairly quickly. You will feel satisfied but it won't last as long as the feeling you get with solids. I don't wait for my full feeling. I eat a measured, safe portion of food. I may not finish it all but I never eat more than that (learned through painful experience). With each of us it's trial and error. You'll figure out what works best for you.

I am 12 days post op (RYGB). I appreciate your detailed posting about your experiences. Since you are 7 months post op, you no doubt have figured things out and have a good handle of what is going on. I have been questioning if I am doing okay, and clueless about this fullness or not. I am on a three week post surgery diet. I get advanced to softs on Jan 9th. I love the fact you don't test the system, but rather eat the proper amount that is a measured set portion. I agree that should keep one from hurting, feeling miseralble and having trouble. That is the greatest words of wisdom I have read yet today.

I have concerns. I ran this by two other new bariatric friends who had surgery Dec 2nd and Dec 3rd. I would like to throw this out to you all and see if anyone else has the same issue or worry that I do.

I am a RYGB surgery patient. Surgery was Dec 17th. I have had no issues what so ever. I can drink, I can swallow, I can take my daily meds and all of my Vitamins and supplements I am peeing, I am pooping. I am losing weight. I gained 14 pounds post op from Fluid and gasses. I came home at the 48 hours point and I was 307. I was 293 at check in at the hospital...so, there is that 14 pounds. I have lost all of that and another 7 pounds for a total 22 pound loss since I left the hospital on the 19th. That is down 22 in 11 days. I think that is all fine, normal and okay too.

I am pretty sure I am restless and irritated due to head hunger. I am kind of bored. When I feel great and I am forced to relax and lay a bit lower than normal, it drives me crazy! I am doing light housework and busy little stuff to keep me mind busy...but I feel like I can run a marathon. I understand that I am less than two weeks out of surgery and I must rest my body and be kind to the internal stuff that got a major modification.

Per my doctors orders and nutrionist guidelines I am to be on a liquid diet ONLY for three weeks post surgery, until my follow up on January 9th. I am supposed to ONLY have my bariatric approved shakes (2-3 oz per hour, each hour) for an ideal total of 100 grams of Protein daily. In addition I am to drink a MIN of 64 oz of proper hydrating fluids in the other part of the hours all day long, when I am not drinking my Protein Drink. I may also have SF popsicles and broth. I may NOT have Jello, pudding, cream Soups, eggs, etc....NOT until I am approved to advance my diet on/after the 9th of January.

I have "cheated"....I call it tested the waters. I have had some bites of Beans (chewed until they were thin and no bulk, no chunks.). Today I had 1/3 cup of unsweetened applesauce with a 2oz piece of ham pureed with it. (Might sound gross, but it was great flavor).

I can consume SO MUCH more fluid that what I think I should. I have been told me new pouch is only egg size and should be a holding tank of about 5 oz. So when I drink all of my fluids all day, I am guessing it goes in and exits that pouch rather quickly and doesn't sit in there and hang out, like food would/will.

I had NO ISSUES at all when I had my applesauce this morning. What is up with that? Shouldn't I be feeling full? Shouldn't I be having some restriction? I just don't get full. I don't get uncomfortable. I don't get a signal that says to STOP.

I do NOT want to stretch this pouch out and I certainly hope for it to heal properly.

I see others who's providers allow them all of the jello, pureed whatever, eggs, cottage cheese etc, at this point in the after surgery/post op diet. Are they doing damage to their pouches? I know each provider is so different, I get that.

I plan on calling my office on Monday and letting her know my exact consumption's (I have it all charted and documented).

What else are you folks experiencing that are freshly out of surgery, or how did this work for you earlier in the month, after you were post op?

Your feedback is appreciated.

I'm not getting full either. I had my surgery 12/11 and am on pureed foods for eight weeks. A week after surgery I asked my doctor why I'm not feeling full and he said it's going to take a few weeks because you're actual body doesn't register the change yet. I'm doing everything I should and taking all my vitamins. Lacking about 15g of protein daily but I just can't get that extra in no matter how hard I try. My list of pureed foods is pretty strict so I'm going crazy and have no idea how I'm going to get through the next six weeks. I'm losing on average two pounds a day right now so hopefully I can keep that up for a few more weeks. I am allowed to have saline/low Fiber crackers so when I feel hungry I eat one low fat cheez-it. I feel your pain though, definitely don't think you're alone.

Hero...thank you for your feedback. I am losing between 2-4 pounds daily, and I am 12 days post op. I am glad to know you are feeling similar to me...the not getting fullness has worried me, but it seems like it would/could be hard to do with 'just liquids'. I am excited to get into pureed and soft foods soon...that will happen on Jan 9th at my three week post op. I am trying to be patient and behave. Somedays it's hard. Very hard.

I am 12 days post op (RYGB). I appreciate your detailed posting about your experiences. Since you are 7 months post op, you no doubt have figured things out and have a good handle of what is going on. I have been questioning if I am doing okay, and clueless about this fullness or not. I am on a three week post surgery diet. I get advanced to softs on Jan 9th. I love the fact you don't test the system, but rather eat the proper amount that is a measured set portion. I agree that should keep one from hurting, feeling miseralble and having trouble. That is the greatest words of wisdom I have read yet today.

Keep in mind that always doing it right won't guarantee no problems. There are times when I eat something I'd been eating almost daily for weeks and suddenly it makes me sick. It's like my food is betraying me. Lol

Just take follow your team's rules the best you can, try not to compare your progress with that of others, and Celebrate your own successes (which will be many and not always a number on the scale). :-)

I am 10 days post op and have started plain oatmeal and mashed potatoes. I too feel the way you all feel and am just plain terrified to fail at this! !!!!!

Michelle I can have oatmeal but it had to be puréed and I did not like it! This thing is do trial and error especially on foods! So far I have only felt bad after refried Beans but did not throw up (I know tmi) just felt very nauscous

I'm glad I found this. I had surgery on the 16th. I'm on a full liquid diet. I never feel full. I am also having issues with drinking Protein Drinks. I drank so many the two weeks before surgery that now the thought makes me want to vomit.

The liquid just flows through! Think about it like this: are you hungry? If you are it's head hunger! Once you get on puréed stuff you will feel different and the fullness is not like before you had surgery!

The liquid just flows through! Think about it like this: are you hungry? If you are it's head hunger! Once you get on puréed stuff you will feel different and the fullness is not like before you had surgery!

Thanks. I was thinking the same thing. I just had some doubts because I remember hearing one of the nurses say it would be a struggle to get the 4 medicine cups of Fluid in during an hour (that was required to go home from the hospital). I never had a problem. Thanks for making me feel better. I can't wait for pureed food.< /p>

I just logged on after a few days to ask if anyone else wasn't getting full..... judging by so many post about it, I guess its normal?

I just logged on after a few days to ask if anyone else wasn't getting full..... judging by so many post about it, I guess its normal?

Guess it is... lol

I'm glad I found this. I had surgery on the 16th. I'm on a full liquid diet. I never feel full. I am also having issues with drinking Protein Drinks. I drank so many the two weeks before surgery that now the thought makes me want to vomit.

Edited by nesa83