Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anxiety and Irritability

I was glad to find this topic and though no one has posted in awhile, I'm hoping that I can get some feedback that will help. I suffered from anxiety and depression periodically prior to surgery most of my life. I was sleeved over 18 months ago and am doing great. With surgery, the depression really lifted, being able to do things I wanted to do, feeling so much better about myself. The problem is, my anxiety seems to be getting worse. I could understand in the beginning - so many changes to your life, but by now, I'm pretty well adjusted and it seems I can't stop worrying. I'm seeing a therapist and have a psychatrist I see occaisionally and discussed medication with both him and my primary care. It's been particularly bad this winter. I think part of it is that I no longer use food to calm myself. But it seems there's more to it. Almost like my chemistry has changed and I'm jumpy all the time. I wonder too, if there is something psychological about being smaller, not having the bulk of a body and masses of flesh to hide behind.

Very interesting comments/answers. I was sleeved Sept. 2016 and am thrilled with the results; however, I am struggling much more with anxiety. I soothed myself with food most of my life. I'm seeing a therapist to help deal with some of the major stressors in my life and may try accupuncture. I'm really trying to eat right and exercise, but have had a few anxiety attacks.

Sent from my SM-T550 using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm sorry Theresa. It does get better. I had a horrible day today and did not eat like I should have, but I'll get back on track tomorrow. If it's not a passing thing, you might want to call where you had your surgery, if it's a major medical facility, and ask them for a therapist for you to see. I'm getting close to a year out. I look and feel great. It will be worth it. Hope you feel better soon!

Sent from my SM-T550 using BariatricPal mobile app