Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need help-support-advice on my diet

Hi all,

I am usually pretty positive about my diet and have been doing okay-my biggest problem is honestly getting calories in. I am starting to get a bit concerned as I think I am developing an aversion to eating. It has been a month since my surgery, and I have had the flu, then bronchitis, so not feeling the greatest. But along the way, my calorie intake dropped-and I can't seem to bring myself to "eat". I have been tracking my calories on MFP closely, mostly to make sure that I am getting enough Protein in.

Basically I have gone from getting 500-600 calories a day to about 300-400. I cannot seem to eat-just now I had two bites of mashed turkey, a bite of mashed potato and I felt pain (almost like indegestion) in my chest, an instant fullness, and had to lay down in a semi-upright position. I thought I was going to puke.

So here is another day where I have had a few sips of broth, a few bites of food-this has been going on since I have been sick. On one side, woohoo-this is great- I have dropped 25 pounds in four weeks. On the other hand, just afraid for my health and if anyone has any diet advice or ways t oensure I am at least getting in some basic nutrition, or any other observations, that would be appreciated, thanks.

Sorry you are going through this. How is your Fluid intake?

I wonder if this is because your stomach has shrunk due to being ill and not taking much in. I've read in some other forums about people who intentionally go back on liquids only (protein shakes) to reshrink their stomach after starting to gain again. I am still so new at this that I have no real advice on this though. I do hope you feel better soon and everything goes back to normal. Maybe just 1 day at a time and a call to the nurse?

I would see if you can tolerate liquid Meal Replacement at all. I have really good luck with GNC's Total Lean pre-mixed shakes as they're not heavy or chalky like a lot of shakes can get. What's most important is to get in your nutrition, or at least as much of it as you can. I look at my nutritional needs as far outweighing my caloric intake.

You may have to back up a stage in your progression. Not everyone can advance at their doctor's pace. You may just need more time. If you've been sick, that would interfere with your sleeve healing, which would make things like turkey very difficult. There is nothing wrong with backing up for a couple of weeks.

My doctor and Nut only talk about 60 gms of Protein, and 64 ounces of Fluid. I don't check calaries at all. Have to watch the amount of fat, no saturated fat, and amount of sugar. Using myfitnesspal.com also to check the protein and track the food. At 6 weeks on Monday, and 2 more weeks of soft protein. tuna, canned chicken, eggs, etc. Hope that helps.

Are you doing any Protein shakes for meal replacement?

Are you getting 64oz or more of fluids per day (Protein Shakes count)?

Do you take Multivitamins - chewable, liquid, sublingual, or other?

I would highly encourage talking to your doctor or nutritionist for their advice. Fluids are very important, especially if you are ill or fighting a cold/flu. powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury makes a great chicken Soup flavored Protein mix you can put in Water or broth, Healthwise makes Tomato and beef flavors. The aversion to the amount of food is very normal for being a month out, it will get better. The indigestion feeling might be eating too quickly and/or not chewing your food enough. Yes, even mashed potatoes deserve some time in the mouth being "mushed" with the digestive enzymes in your saliva before being swallowed. At one month out, I did a lot of avocado, greek yogurt (plain, 2%) adding my own raspberries for sweetness. Softer foods, not as much solid - that took longer to incorporate.

Sorry you are going through this. How is your Fluid intake?

-My Fluid intake is ok. Not getting 64-probably close, around 40-50. Not vomiting, but the other end was acting up ;)

I wonder if this is because your stomach has shrunk due to being ill and not taking much in. I've read in some other forums about people who intentionally go back on liquids only (Protein shakes) to reshrink their stomach after starting to gain again. I am still so new at this that I have no real advice on this though. I do hope you feel better soon and everything goes back to normal. Maybe just 1 day at a time and a call to the nurse?

I didn't think of that-maybe? It sure feels like I am in stage one or two.

I would see if you can tolerate liquid meal replacement at all. I have really good luck with GNC's Total Lean pre-mixed shakes as they're not heavy or chalky like a lot of shakes can get. What's most important is to get in your nutrition, or at least as much of it as you can. I look at my nutritional needs as far outweighing my caloric intake.

I absolutely hate Liquid Protein shakes, however, have not tried the GNC one you mentioned. I will look at those today and see where my GNC is. I have bodylogix currently, and they dissolve awful. I have to whir it in the blender with a banana then let it settle because the air upset s my stomach. I was doing one every other day, but if I had a better product, I would use it more often.

You may have to back up a stage in your progression. Not everyone can advance at their doctor's pace. You may just need more time. If you've been sick, that would interfere with your sleeve healing, which would make things like turkey very difficult. There is nothing wrong with backing up for a couple of weeks.

Good point! I made a huge pot of turkey broth with veg last night. I was able to drink a cup of broth and no issues. I seem to be very sensitive to any sort of fat, salt, garlic-especially!! and onions. I need very bland food. Is that normal?

My doctor and Nut only talk about 60 gms of Protein, and 64 ounces of fluid. I don't check calaries at all. Have to watch the amount of fat, no saturated fat, and amount of sugar. Using myfitnesspal.com also to check the protein and track the food. At 6 weeks on Monday, and 2 more weeks of soft protein. tuna, canned chicken, eggs, etc. Hope that helps.

Thanks! I use MFP as well :) I guess I need to slow down and go back t othe basics and give myself more time to heal.

Are you doing any Protein Shakes for meal replacement?

Are you getting 64oz or more of fluids per day (protein shakes count)?

Do you take Multivitamins - chewable, liquid, sublingual, or other?

I would highly encourage talking to your doctor or nutritionist for their advice. Fluids are very important, especially if you are ill or fighting a cold/flu. unjury makes a great chicken Soup flavored protein mix you can put in Water or broth, Healthwise makes Tomato and beef flavors. The aversion to the amount of food is very normal for being a month out, it will get better. The indigestion feeling might be eating too quickly and/or not chewing your food enough. Yes, even mashed potatoes deserve some time in the mouth being "mushed" with the digestive enzymes in your saliva before being swallowed. At one month out, I did a lot of avocado, greek yogurt (plain, 2%) adding my own raspberries for sweetness. Softer foods, not as much solid - that took longer to incorporate.

Thanks for your advice! So it sounds like I am just pushing it too much, which is probably true. I take a multi-Vitamin and was taking B Vitamin, however, cannot tolerate it right now. I love greek yogurt but even that feels like it gets stuck-I have had to Water it down. But going back to the soft sounds like a great idea and start, and reminding myself that I need to heal and sickness probably made it worse...thanks for the help!

Yes, bland food at this stage is normal and important. Right now you don't want your stomach producing more acid than it needs to break down the bland diet -- garlic and onion did not sit well with me until 6-8 weeks out after swelling was gone. Are you on an acid reducer or PPI?

Many people on the forum know I swear by Syntrax nectar and unjury Protein powders. I mix them 90% of the time with Water alone in my Blender Bottle - mixes great! They come in many great flavors, too. Also, I would avoid banana this early out - or at least restrict in moderation. They are one of the highest sugar fruits and will not give your liver/pancreas the break they need right now from processing even fructose sugar.

I find it harder to eat when I'm dehydrated - fluids are very important. Exercise also opens up my appetite, allows me to eat more easily.