Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gained Since Having Gastric Sleeve Surgery

<stuff deleted>

all up to you..its always going to be work...I knew that going in...and unfortunate things have made my journey at a stall...I feel very bad whereas a year ago at this weight I felt beautiful. It is a tool..I had Horrible experience with my surgeon after i started having health issues..so now i have been having to count on me ...to pull myself up and get back to losing..I have a good 70 more pounds I would like to lose.

Try to keep positivity in your life and if you see negativity taking over get away from it or seek support ...Dont try to handle it alone.

I'm so glad to hear you are taking the bull by the horns and turning this back around in your favor. life style changes are fine to prattle about when one isn't fully engaged in dealing the the brunt of daily experiences. I never did 'indulge' and avoided most people induced problems...but still things can and do go awry and like you said, we shouldn't "go it alone".

That fear of living fuller and exposing myself to more possible disappointments and traumas makes me fear losing the weight completely. I keep asking myself: what'll be left after I've lost it?

Thanks for sharing this...and good luck with whatever your trying to achieve. Glad you found a job again. You must have a needed skill. Most folks lose jobs and don't find another for a year or more!

I had my surgery June 1, 2011. I have lost 150 lbs total. But I went to my year checkup yesterday and I did not lose one pound in the last three months. My Dr. was not happy since I have about 44 more to go. He said I should not have leveled off this soon. His advice for me was to drink two shakes, eat a "box meal" and drink 64 oz of Water a day. At first I couldn't figure out what a "box meal" was but then I asked if it was like a Lean Cuisine and he said yes. That is the first time I have ever heard of a Dr. telling someone to eat one of those meals. Has anyone else heard of that?

That's VERY unusual advice IMO. Those box lunches are typically VERY high in sodium and moderate to high in carbs. I would be curious why he is not promoting lean Protein instead of box lunches. That one has me quite baffled!!!

I had my surgery June 1, 2011. I have lost 150 lbs total. But I went to my year checkup yesterday and I did not lose one pound in the last three months. My Dr. was not happy since I have about 44 more to go. He said I should not have leveled off this soon. His advice for me was to drink two shakes, eat a "box meal" and drink 64 oz of Water a day. At first I couldn't figure out what a "box meal" was but then I asked if it was like a Lean Cuisine and he said yes. That is the first time I have ever heard of a Dr. telling someone to eat one of those meals. Has anyone else heard of that?

I recommend The Emotional First + Aid Kit: A Practical Guide to Life After Bariatric Surgery by Cynthia Alexander

I kInow my weight gain after surgery was due to fluids... It came right off once they took me off of the IV that delivered fluids to me. I was able to take in my Clear Liquids pretty good and with the IV delivering fluids as well I gained 7 pounds.... But that didn't las long....

Maybe he thinks that those meals only contain a certain amount of calories so it's more controlled? That's all I can think of.

Just wanted to check in and say that in any month I can go up 3-5lbs but then I drop back off. Having a weight tracker and logging in my weight everyday helps me know when my body fluxes up and down. There was a period of about 2 months where I didn't lose anything. I did buckle down eliminating all sweets, upping my activity (only by 30 min a week), and watching carbs. Weight started dropping off again. Over the last 2 months I think I've lost about 6lbs. I'm still scared/curious how my weight loss or maintaining my weight will go the further out I am.

Ok, folks I am new to this forum, I want to share my story to hopefully help some of you stay on track and to hopefully get myself back on track. In May of 1999 I had the VSG surgery, I was at 350 lbs and in less than a year I was down to 255 when I stopped losing weight. I should back up and tell you I was a police officer fro 20 years, when I cam out of the police academy in the early 1990's I was 267 with 12 % body fat, running 5 to 7 miles a day and very healthy. Overtime the drive throughs and my constant schedule chages helped me to gain weight. After I had the vsg I felt great, I was back to exercising, but I still didn't eat the best. I will say I pretty much hate the color green oh and I didn't metion yet that Diet Pepsi is like crack to a crack addict for me. So over the last 15 years I have been putting the weight on once I got back to my orginal start weight I pretty much through in the towel and didn't really care. I marked it up as a failure which has never been my norm. I am up to 473 pounds and I have had enough. I have contacted my local hospital and will be meeting there staff to see what I can do. I am hoping to be able to get a vsg pouch back to working if that is possible. What I want to say to all of you brave people is DO NOT DRINK ANYTHING WITH YOUR MEALS NOT EVEN A LITTLE. AND NEVER QUIT YOUR EXERCIS EVEN FOR ONE DAY. AND NO MATTER WHAT NO SODA.

I will keep you all posted as I will look for stength and encouragement as I start this journey again.

Steve

Thanks for your knowledge and experience, Steve. Best luck on getting your restriction back!

Steve, thank you so much for sharing your story with us. Please keep us posted on what you learn from the doctors. I am very interested in following your progress.

Sent from my iPad using VST

Ok, folks I am new to this forum, I want to share my story to hopefully help some of you stay on track and to hopefully get myself back on track. In May of 1999 I had the VSG surgery, I was

at 350 lbs and in less than a year I was down to 255 when I stopped losing weight. I should back up and tell you I was a police officer fro 20 years, when I cam out of the police academy in the early 1990's I was 267 with 12 % body fat, running 5 to 7 miles a day and very healthy. Overtime the drive throughs and my constant schedule chages helped me to gain weight. After I had the vsg I felt great, I was back to exercising, but I still didn't eat the best. I will say I pretty much hate the color green oh and I didn't metion yet that Diet Pepsi is like crack to a crack addict for me. So over the last 15 years I have been putting the weight on once I got back to my orginal start weight I pretty much through in the towel and didn't really care. I marked it up as a failure which has never been my norm. I am up to 473 pounds and I have had enough. I have contacted my local hospital and will be meeting there staff to see what I can do. I am hoping to be able to get a vsg pouch back to working if that is possible. What I want to say to all of you brave people is DO NOT DRINK ANYTHING WITH YOUR MEALS NOT EVEN A LITTLE. AND NEVER QUIT YOUR EXERCIS EVEN FOR ONE DAY. AND NO MATTER WHAT NO SODA.

I will keep you all posted as I will look for stength and encouragement as I start this journey again.

Steve

You don't say anything about head hunger or emotional eating.

I'm really glad that you shared your story with us. I haven't tried soda at all yet and there is no overriding need here. But I am getting more and more interested in potatoes and other carbs that have been denied me for the year. I'm 6 mos out and lost another lb this am. Down to 227 from 320 before surgery. I'm disgruntled, most of the time and hate this process, the focus, the restrictions, the thought that this won't ever change. Thanks again for sharing...I can envision myself in your situation and that s*cks. Where the h*ll is the magic wand.

It took a lot of courage for you to come on here to talk about your experiences. I commend you for making the journey back to recovery for your health. It is scary to think about regain and I think some people who have this surgery has the misconception that the tool is going to do most of the work for them and consequently have problems. I'm not saying this was you.

I hope that the Dr. and staff can help you come up with a plan to get back on track. Have you considered maybe the DS (Duodonel Switch) surgery? The sleeve is only the first step in that procedure. Maybe that is your better option. Just a thought to consider.

Ok, folks I am new to this forum, I want to share my story to hopefully help some of you stay on track and to hopefully get myself back on track. In May of 1999 I had the VSG surgery, I was at 350 lbs and in less than a year I was down to 255 when I stopped losing weight. I should back up and tell you I was a police officer fro 20 years, when I cam out of the police academy in the early 1990's I was 267 with 12 % body fat, running 5 to 7 miles a day and very healthy. Overtime the drive throughs and my constant schedule chages helped me to gain weight. After I had the vsg I felt great, I was back to exercising, but I still didn't eat the best. I will say I pretty much hate the color green oh and I didn't metion yet that Diet Pepsi is like crack to a crack addict for me. So over the last 15 years I have been putting the weight on once I got back to my orginal start weight I pretty much through in the towel and didn't really care. I marked it up as a failure which has never been my norm. I am up to 473 pounds and I have had enough. I have contacted my local hospital and will be meeting there staff to see what I can do. I am hoping to be able to get a vsg pouch back to working if that is possible. What I want to say to all of you brave people is DO NOT DRINK ANYTHING WITH YOUR MEALS NOT EVEN A LITTLE. AND NEVER QUIT YOUR EXERCIS EVEN FOR ONE DAY. AND NO MATTER WHAT NO SODA.

Steve

Since you had your surgery so long ago, Steve, can you tell us how much you could eat 6 months post op? 1 year? Now?

So, to try and answer the questions, 6 months pretyy much only ground beef for meat, chickens , steak , pork would not go down and would cause me problems. 1 year out pretty much could have anything if I had sosda with it. What I believe is one of my greatest downfalls was stopping the exercise and drinking soda. I believe they started my down hill sprial. As far as head hunger not sure on that although I have been in emergency services for 25 years and have seen some pretty awful things so I am not sure if it is related to emotional issues. I am a very busy and usually a very happy person so I don't really want to hang it on that as well. Really I think it comes down to comminment and exercise as all weight loss does. It was a great tool to get my weight down to where I felt comfortable emotionally and physically to exercise and be active. When that changed and I relied on the vsg is when I started to fail though weight gain was slow at first so I just kind of lived with it.

I guess what I was asking was how much you could eat. Like 3 ounces at 6 months or maybe 1 slice of pizza at _____ months. That kinda thing. Have you thought about getting the DS?