Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gluten free?

Hi..... So I was diagnosed yesterday with high gluten intolerance, my mom has full celiac disease. My pcp is saying that my gluten intolerance is what is causing all of my MS like symptoms, I was considered probable MS before now. I am a super picky eater and I've been helping my mom out with her shopping for gf items, however there is nothing really that I would like to eat myself. In my house there are only a few things that I can eat that are gf, cottage cheese and Heinz ketchup being my favorite items. Lol. I can't ever eat matzo and butter, which is a favorite snack, nor Peanut Butter. I am also unsure how the gf foods will work with my band. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any and all help. :)

HI

Im totally gluten free and feel much better. I have not had problems with gluten free food and the band.

Do you like eggs?

There are gluten free Protein powders and drinks, also, for when you get a fill.

A snack I Iike is some crunchy rice crackers and almond butter --- but I watch the rice crackers because they turn to sugar in my body, and just a few.

I eat a fair amount of meat that I cook myself.

Be careful with switching out gluten free Snacks and treats. I fell into doing that, so excited to have found gluten free foods ----but I found the wrong ones! Cookies, cakes, ice cream, bread--which required BUTTER to go down. Dont do that! :)

I fix green smoothies and add Protein Powder.< /p>

Going gluten free can help one go low carb since mostly what you have to avoid are the gluten containing foods that are also carbohydrates (like bread).

I drink coconut milk that comes in a carton in the refrig section (not the canned ones). It contains 50% more Calcium than dairy milk.

I hope this helps.

I also hope you feel a lot better going strictly Gluten Free!

~hiddn

There is butter and Peanut Butter out there that is gluten free. Smart balance peanut butter and I think the butter is called smart choice. It's in a little white tub. If you have a Kroger where you live I would go there. That's where my mama gets all her GF food from. They actually have more things than you actually think. Gluten free meatloaf is the best meatloaf I've ever had! :-)

HI Im totally gluten free and feel much better. I have not had problems with gluten free food and the band. Do you like eggs? There are gluten free Protein powders and drinks' date=' also, for when you get a fill. A snack I Iike is some crunchy rice crackers and almond butter --- but I watch the rice crackers because they turn to sugar in my body, and just a few. I eat a fair amount of meat that I cook myself. Be careful with switching out gluten free Snacks and treats. I fell into doing that, so excited to have found gluten free foods ----but I found the wrong ones! Cookies, cakes, ice cream, bread--which required BUTTER to go down. Dont do that! :) I fix green smoothies and add Protein powder. Going gluten free can help one go low carb since mostly what you have to avoid are the gluten containing foods that are also carbohydrates (like bread). I drink coconut milk that comes in a carton in the refrig section (not the canned ones). It contains 50% more Calcium than dairy milk. I hope this helps. I also hope you feel a lot better going strictly Gluten Free! ~hiddn[/quote']

I do like eggs. Every way but hardboiled. I will have to look for new rice cakes, the Carmel corn ones I have, have gluten.

I don't do well with any meat except chicken, turkey and ground beef. I try and stay away from Cookies because they are my krypotnite. Lol. The rest I don't really care for, except ice cream, but I don't do well with it since my new band. Is the coconut milk better than almond milk? Thank you for all your help.

There is butter and Peanut Butter out there that is gluten free. Smart balance Peanut Butter and I think the butter is called smart choice. It's in a little white tub. If you have a Kroger where you live I would go there. That's where my mama gets all her GF food from. They actually have more things than you actually think. Gluten free meatloaf is the best meatloaf I've ever had! :-)

I will go to Kroger and look tomorrow for them both, that's where my mom gets a lot of her stuff too. The Kroger here has little tags that say which items are gf. Which is very helpful. Meatloaf sounds really good, I will have to find a recipe for it. I wonder if I could make a shepards pie with it. Thank you for replying and your help. :)

I do like eggs. Every way but hardboiled. I will have to look for new rice cakes, the Carmel corn ones I have, have gluten.

I don't do well with any meat except chicken, turkey and ground beef. I try and stay away from Cookies because they are my krypotnite. Lol. The rest I don't really care for, except ice cream, but I don't do well with it since my new band. Is the coconut milk better than almond milk? Thank you for all your help.

Hi

I prefer coconut milk over almond, personally. I can't have the carmel corn cakes because I can't have corn, either :( that's been a hard one for me.

I have found making thai curry dishes are easy and flavorful. I use canned coconut milk for that.

Sometimes I get thai curry with chicken at a local restaurant and then put it in my ninja blender to make it into a wonderful soup! I love that!

Ive been making 3-egg omelettes, lately, and cutting them in half. It's a good way to sneak in some vegetables (which Im not so good at eating).

We all have to be creative!

~hiddn

My whole family is gluten free. My husband, and daughter and family have gluten intolerance, my son is celiac, too. Don't think that gluten free is low calorie. It is not diet food. There are a lot of choices, now of days. Almost, all restaurants will offer gluten free options. If you like bread, we use Udi's. My family really likes the Udi's frozen Bagels. Real butter is probably your best choice, if you can tolerate dairy. Best wishes!

What great news that you don't have MS and those symptoms can disappear by not having gluten. Wow! A gluten-free diet is so much healthier. I agree about watching out for GF items that may have a lot of sugar and calories. Also beware of gravy and Soups -- you will need to check ingredients carefully and ask at restaurants if they don't have a GF menu. It's a lifestyle -- Protein and veggies are really where it's at. This sure beats having those symptoms and being ill. I'm so happy for you.

I will go to Kroger and look tomorrow for them both' date=' that's where my mom gets a lot of her stuff too. The Kroger here has little tags that say which items are gf. Which is very helpful. Meatloaf sounds really good, I will have to find a recipe for it. I wonder if I could make a shepards pie with it. Thank you for replying and your help. :)[/quote']

You can make shepards pie! I'll send u both recipes :-)

My son makes shepherd pie, a lot. There are a lot of gluten free things now! Publix, and probably Kroger's marks their shelves!

I would love the recipes, thank you! I have been gf for 3days now and I've already noticed my constant headache has gon away. We went shopping last night at meijers, they had almost no gf items, so we are going to Kroger this morning.

I would love the recipes, thank you! I have been gf for 3days now and I've already noticed my constant headache has gon away. We went shopping last night at meijers, they had almost no gf items, so we are going to Kroger this morning.

Sorry, hit the wrong button....I wanted to tell you guys, subway will make any sub they offer into a salad, it is gf and tastes great. Here in col. Ohio, it was $6.00. Completely worth it. Oh, and Bob Evans restaurant has a gf menu, you have to ask for it.

Thanks for all your help and advice. :)

Sorry, hit the wrong button....I wanted to tell you guys, subway will make any sub they offer into a salad, it is gf and tastes great. Here in col. Ohio, it was $6.00. Completely worth it. Oh, and Bob Evans restaurant has a gf menu, you have to ask for it.

Thanks for all your help and advice. :)