Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Success after Lap Band Removal?

I had my band put in in 2009. At first I did well with it and lost about 50-60 pounds. I definitely take responsibility for allowing myself to get back into some unhealthy eating habits but ever since I had the band put in I have had issues. I did decently with the band for the first year though I definitely got stuck often. In summer of 2010 I ended up in the ER after a fill gone wrong. Turns out my port had flipped so that required a second surgery. I never found a sweet spot in terms of restriction. I had fill put in and taken out numerous times but never got to a spot that both helped with hunger and allowed me to eat anything without being stuck. In Sept 2012 I had all of my fill taken out and I still get stuck at almost every meal. I had been thinking about getting my band removed for a while and then the final straw occurred this week. I ended up in the ER because of intense pains under my sternum and nausea. Doctors still aren't sure as to what caused it but I made the choice to have the band removed once and for all. I completely understand that the band is a tool and that had I kept to a better diet I'm sure I wouldn't have gained weight but at the same time I've just had poor quality of life since the banding. I'm in pain at nearly every meal and constantly get stuck even with no fill at all.

I'm getting my band removed in about 3 weeks and I wondering if anyone out there has had success post band? I'm so fired up about having to have it out that I'm starting over fresh because I don't want to gain anymore weight and want to get healthy again. Any thoughts or suggestions for people who have had it removed?

Thanks!

I've known many people that have either had their bands out or all of their Fluid out in hopes they could maintain on their own. I've never known any of them to keep the weight off. The only ones I've seen be successful were either rebanded, got a different WLS, or had their fluid put back in. Sorry :( I know I couldn't do it on my own.

Got my band in Aug last yeaer did great lost 70 lbs of the 90 I wanted to loss then I had problems. Band slipped and had Fluid removed then started to refill and then got dehydrated so out the fluid came again..maintained my weight loss but want to eat all the time. having some family problems and I am eating at night but still no weight gain Thanks God I have no resticktion, not getting stuck, can eat fast or big bit and hate that but I am still trying to slow down and eat right.. I did LOVE the band and not sure what to do now $150. a fill and $900 if problems and a special exray and unfill...darn this is difficult good luck to us all

Losing is a challenge but keeping it off is an even bigger challenge. I worry all the time about whether or not I will keep it off with the band let alone the thought of not having the band at all. Long before my Band days I had lost 175lbs between 2003 and 2004 and got down to 219. I somehow managed to put it all back on plus an additional 90lbs. Even now when I reflect back I am not totally sure how I managed to let myself go and let it get so bad. I think perhaps I felt so good about myself and that life was grand that had I slipped back into habits and then begin making excuses for not taking corrective actions.

So as you can see I am very nervous about keeping it off long term as I had already failed before. Band or no band but at least with the band I am hoping my weight issues forever stay on the forefront of my mind so what happened before will not repeat on me.

From 2003 to 2004 I went from 394 to 219 back up to 488 by 2011. Completely disgusting and inexcusable and to this day I haven't forgiven myself.

I wish you all the luck in the world and hope it works out but if it were me I would revise to something else if possible.

I read a statistic that claimed band removal = complete regain +10%. If I were to have to have my band removed, I'd probably revise, too.

I'm sorry to read your band did not work out for you, and wish you the best.

I'd suggest that you might look into a support group like Weight Watchers. Being weighed, and having some peer pressure and a goal are important. Whenever I got careless, I always put lost weight back on, plus a few extra pounds :( I think you can do it, but it takes a LOT of willpower and commitment, and you can never allow yourself to become lax or careless in monitoring your food intake or weight.

I have to say I agree with a lot of the others. If I were to have any problems with my band and it needed removal I would revise to the sleeve or bypass.

I just don't know if I could do it alone.

in my opinion and from what i know, if a person has any WLS or not, or band is removed, if they eat more calories then they burn off, they will gain weight..

Losing is a challenge but keeping it off is an even bigger challenge. I worry all the time about whether or not I will keep it off with the band let alone the thought of not having the band at all. Long before my Band days I had lost 175lbs between 2003 and 2004 and got down to 219. I somehow managed to put it all back on plus an additional 90lbs. Even now when I reflect back I am not totally sure how I managed to let myself go and let it get so bad. I think perhaps I felt so good about myself and that life was grand that had I slipped back into habits and then begin making excuses for not taking corrective actions.

So as you can see I am very nervous about keeping it off long term as I had already failed before. Band or no band but at least with the band I am hoping my weight issues forever stay on the forefront of my mind so what happened before will not repeat on me.

From 2003 to 2004 I went from 394 to 219 back up to 488 by 2011. Completely disgusting and inexcusable and to this day I haven't forgiven myself.

I wish you all the luck in the world and hope it works out but if it were me I would revise to something else if possible.

Forgive yourself Jim.... Your human and this battle ain't easy. I'm convinced there are people that are born to have weight/eating issues for the rest of their lives and that I'm one of them. We need to forgive and love ourselves ....we're all here to support you!

i havent forgave myself either jim

I had my band put in in 2009. At first I did well with it and lost about 50-60 pounds. I definitely take responsibility for allowing myself to get back into some unhealthy eating habits but ever since I had the band put in I have had issues. I did decently with the band for the first year though I definitely got stuck often. In summer of 2010 I ended up in the ER after a fill gone wrong. Turns out my port had flipped so that required a second surgery. I never found a sweet spot in terms of restriction. I had fill put in and taken out numerous times but never got to a spot that both helped with hunger and allowed me to eat anything without being stuck. In Sept 2012 I had all of my fill taken out and I still get stuck at almost every meal. I had been thinking about getting my band removed for a while and then the final straw occurred this week. I ended up in the ER because of intense pains under my sternum and nausea. Doctors still aren't sure as to what caused it but I made the choice to have the band removed once and for all. I completely understand that the band is a tool and that had I kept to a better diet I'm sure I wouldn't have gained weight but at the same time I've just had poor quality of life since the banding. I'm in pain at nearly every meal and constantly get stuck even with no fill at all.

I'm getting my band removed in about 3 weeks and I wondering if anyone out there has had success post band? I'm so fired up about having to have it out that I'm starting over fresh because I don't want to gain anymore weight and want to get healthy again. Any thoughts or suggestions for people who have had it removed?

Thanks!

Yes there are many success stories out there. Sounds like you had some functionality/technique with fills issues. Did you follow up with your surgeon regularly ? We all have food/eating issues that the band won't correct WE have to correct them and work hard. Look at your eating habits as in what you ate, how you ate etc and you might see something you didn't see before. Think about the commitment you made to yourself and all the hard work you've done so far and leading up to before you got the band. Have you had an appt with a dietitian? Even the successful people on here at one time or another fell back in to their old eating habits even if it were just for a fleeting moment. Sit down and write on paper what you have done so far in your journey. Write down all the good things you have accomplished with the band, and the things you may have done that you shouldn't have. Look carefully at what you were eating and your eating habits. If there is one thing I've learned is this is not only a learning experience about the band and how to use it but sometimes along the way you learn things about yourself you didn't even realize. So are you getting another one? Not sure what you mean about starting out fresh....this ain't easy for any of us, but the rewards are so wonderful it's all worth it. All I can say is rethink this, talk to your surgeon, bariatric nurse, dietician, look at your habits. If you had to get fills, then Unfills it could have been your band or maybe what and how you were eating. Look inside yourself and get your mind back where it should be. You can do this!!! Search this site and you will find MANY successful people with bands. I am one of them so far with my journey. And yes, I have fallen off the bandwagon and eaten things I told myself I am not going to eat, but I recognized this and climbed right back up! My ONLY regret?? Not doing it sooner! 70 pounds down since banded on Nov 7th.....take care

i havent forgave myself either jim

Carolina girl...you too! Forgive yourself!

I am having my lapband removed next Tuesday - July 2. I have already regained + my weight loss with the band in. I constantly have pain, reflux and pressure when eating and the band is empty. I had the band put in 2006 and have never hit that "sweet spot". I was told that I have band failure. I recently had a fluoroscopy and EGD and showed band slippage. I am worried about post op recovery and what to do next.

I know for a fact that I can't be trusted to keep the weight off without a tool. My band slipped lasy year and I've gained 30 of my 104 lbs that I had lost. now my band is totally herniated so I have to get it taken out. I chose to revise to the sleeve on July 16th. Actually, looking forward to having restriction right away and not having to chase the elusive "dragon". Glad I don't have to drive 6 hrs roundtrip and pay $160 every time for my dr to say hello. Glad the days of bending over the toilet (or bush, or the side of a building, or wherever I could).

However, I'm also a little worried about losing 85% of my stomach, an organ that God put there for a reason. Not so worried that I won't have it done tho.

I guess I could lie and say that I want a healthy body the most out of all this. But the honest reason is that size 8's felt so good (for about a minute) and size 12's feel so bad. I really don't want to fit back into the size 22's I once wore 4 yrs ago. So it's really a no-brainer for me. I hafta get a revision. Everyone keeps saying "why don't nyou just get it out and watch what you eat?". If I could do that, I would've done it years ago! I've tried (and tried and tried and tried) and was never successful until my band.

I WILL miss my band. Right now it's causing pain about 3x a week and relfux every single night. But it afforded me to realize just how much I SHOULD be eating and to accept nothing less.

Good luck!

Marci

I've been around these boards a long time relatively speaking and yes I have seen people keep their weight off after complete unfills. Can't speak to removals because most don't stay on the boards after removals. BUT it seems to be the exception not the rule. Just saying that it's not impossible.

I had a persistent leak which meant my band wouldn't hold restriction for more than a day or so after a fill, and I had that for 15 months. In that time, I gained 35lbs, and in the last 5 months I lost 15lbs of that through diet and exercise. I honestly believe that without the band, I might be able to maintain with MUCH difficulty, but always with the fear that my hunger would sabotage me eventually and I'd regain. So when the time came to decide what to do about my leaking band, I chose to replace it. Because, for me, life with a band is much easier than life without one.

Having said that, I empathise with the band causing you to have a poor quality of life, so in the end, it was about deciding which you'd rather live with, and if I was in constant discomfort, I'd rather chance it without the thing that was making me feel awful. So I'd say start from now to look for an alternative to control your weight. There are MANY people out there who lose without the help of the band, who is to say you can't be one of those people?