Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can you feel your port?

I just got banded on the 10th of March 2011, and I can't feel my port either. I keep trying to feel for it but I don't seem to feel it. That is the reason why I joined this site to get some feed back. Of course I will be calling my doctor's office tomorrow. Who did your banding? and where?

Claudia

Hi Claudia. I was banded by Dr. Hollis @ True Results Houston. I haven't called to ask where the port was located. I figured I'd find out when I go for my April 1 appt. I guess I should call and ask though because it bothers me not to know.

Is yours under your muscle or under your stomach? My doc said he sewed mine under the muscle. I can feel it but by no means does it stick out (I carry my weight in my midsection). The only thing I've ever done with a bikini is move it out of the way for the one piece :-)

Congrats on your sucess.

I'm cracking up at your reply about the bikini. Thanks for the laugh. ;)

In my experience, I did not feel my port until the surgeon put a fill in in. I knew where it was, it was the largest of the scars on my tummy. I am like others that have met goal, I can feel and see it protrude now. But, I am 62 years old, and not likely to wear a bikini for anyone except my husband. It doesn't show through my clothes! Karen

Cladia,

My surgery ws the 25th and I was back to work the 7th. More energy than ever and feeling great. Suture aras a little tender, but was almost 100%. :-) But everyone is different. Take care of yourself. :-)

I'm a full time student so I took a week off, went back for the week of finals and then had 5 weeks off for winter break. I was ok to go back after a week, but the extra time after that was great. It took me a few weeks to adjust, but felt fully human again after about 4-5 weeks. I would recommend that you walk as much as comfortable and follow your doctor's post op instructions. I know this is vague but I know some people go back to work with in a couple days, and some take weeks. Good luck on your journey :)

How long does it take for full recovery? I don't want to make the mistake to go back to work and feel uneasy or light headed, etc.

Hi! I'm new here. Just got banded on March 4th ,2011. Now that I am feeling better I have been pushing around feeling for my port. I thought I should be able to feel it but cannot. Is this normal? Can you feel your port?

Good news, I had a fill today and felt my port. It's nice and secure and deeply stitched in. It's nice and flat and wide. I can't imagine it would be able to flip. I have been so worried about that and it's all good! Yeah! Got my first fill (5cc) since surgery. My surgeon actually placed 5cc in it already right after surgery. I feel very lucky.

i can't feel mine at all. but i can feel the band itself. i have a sensation of pain and feeling something in my chest. drives me crazy. hope it goes away.

I can feel mine. smile.gif It's off to the left side, just under my breast (killed after surgery with my wire bras). It's funny because it's placed on the "skinniest" part of me right at the top of my waist. I'm hoping it won't be popping out when I get skinnier. As of right now it isn't a visible issue.

Yep, I can feel mine. As soon as I wasn't sore I tried finding it and it was easy.

At the moment, yes. It feels very different to how it was before, though...Like sharper and more triangular almost.

When I first got my surgery I could barely feel it when I touched it, but it was very very painful to touch...If that makes sense lol.

It seems like I've always been able to feel mine. In fact, it also seems that I like to feel it. Weird that it's almost like a blankee or something. I just like to know it's there. It reminds me that this is real that I have a lap band. A few weeks ago the port area was sore after some exercising, so I just tried to let that heal itself. At my check-up/fill appt last week, I had the PA look at it and she said it looked fine, because the area wasn't red, warm and because it wasn't hurting any more.

Hi! I'm new here. Just got banded on March 4th ,2011. Now that I am feeling better I have been pushing around feeling for my port. I thought I should be able to feel it but cannot. Is this normal? Can you feel your port?

I couldn't feel mine at first, but after I'd lost probably 30-40 lbs. I could feel it. I remember asking my doctor if I'd eventually be able to SEE it and he said it depends on how much weight you lose lol. And ya know what, now after losing 75lbs, I CAN actually see it. Never mind the fact that I have to stand sideways and look really hard lol.

Terri

I couldn't at first but I'm happy to say I can feel it more and more all the time!!!!

I can easily feel mine. It is right below my bra line, so not a lot of fat around it.

One day you will wake up and notice not only can you feel it, but you will see a little bump where it is...The more weight you lose, the less fat is surrounding it...I think I always remember being able to "feel" it when I pressed around for it...There is nothing wrong if you can't feel it though...