Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fear of first fill and needles!

I was banded on Nov.16th and have done well recovering. Pain at the incision area the first week on meds but pretty clear sailing from there on. Have lost about 15 -18lbs depending on scale!!

I am in a panic about my first fill/needle and potential issues with restriction.:thumbup:

Any advice from banders as to what I can expect and how best to handle things?

Your help is most appreciated.

Congratulations on making the decision to get banded! Don't worry too much about the fills...it's a painless process (except for, perhaps, a quick pinch when the needle goes in) and it takes less then 10 minutes. You're not likely to feel any restriction after the first fill. I didn't feel any restriction until after my 4th fill...I've had 6 total and am in the sweet spot now.

Good luck with your journey!

My experience was a little different at first. I was really sore and that didn't go away until about my third fill. Now, I hardly feel anything but the first couple of times don't be suprised if it hurts a little bit. Just preparing you in case it does. Even still, it is not like having an IV or anything. It is much less painful than that. Just take a deep breath before it goes in and exhale while it goes into your skin. That helps with the pain. Don't tense up or it will be worse.

For me the worst thing is the numbing shot they give you before doing the fill. My last three fills I have told her to just skip the numbing and just do it. It feels like someone is pinching you with sharp fingernails but that's about it. I just take a deep breath and it's done in about ten seconds.

I did feel restriction with my first fill the night of my fill, remember it's important to follow what your doc tells you about eating after your first fill. My doc says soft foods for the rest of the day and the following back to normal. I've had seven fills and finally feel like I'm where I need to be. It takes a while, but worth the wait.

Good luck, don't be scared.

Numbing shot...didn't know that was an option LOL. Nah, I really didn't need it. If it is fear of needles, I don't think you have to worry. My doctor puts me on a table where my head is lower than my stomach, so I couldn't see what he is doing if I wanted to. Yes, there was some pinching. My second time was a little more difficult as they didn't get the port on the first try, but really its over before you know it.

Thanks all for your responses. I will take a deep breath and look away and hope that it will be bearable.

I am hoping that I will have good success with this process and journey!

This is what they did for my first fill. I was kind of nervous also. Again all doctors are different. My first fill I had under X-ray. I was put on the x-ray table an it went into an upright position so I was standing. They put the needle into my port, without any numbing medicine. It actually felt like a little misquito bite. It wasn't that bad at all. I had to drink that horrible barium again (they said it was the last time unless I had problems) and then they took the X-ray while they were filling me. It was not as bad as I thought it would be.

they sprayed a numbing stuff on the site for me and he located the port etc, then he said ready.. and he pushed it in, I only felt pressure, no pain at all. he stood me up with the needle still in my port after pushing some saline in and had me drink, I drank 3/4 bottle of Water before we agreed that it was good and then he quickly withdrew the needle, no blood or anything. Don't worry it will be fine.

Seems like there are allot of different approaches depending on Doctor! Thanks for the input.

honestly the fill isnt as bad as it sounds. I am the worst when it comes to needles and the more I get poked the worse it gets. I went for my second fill yesterday ( I have a 11 cc band) last time I got 5cc put in my band and I had no restriction at all. Yesterday I had more saline put it and I felt restriction so the doctor made me sit up and drink while the huge needle was still in me. I kind of started to freak out. Just the thought of that made me almost pass out but after a minute i got the courage to sit up and drink. Just make sure you can swallow Water before leaving the office after getting a fill and you should be fine.

It really doesnt hurt part of my problem not liking the needles for lapband it because even if someone just touches my belly button or near there i get nauseous ( totally a head thing) so the thought of a needle in me there makes it worse.

Just take a deep breathe dont look at the needle and it will be over so fast.

So I got the first fill and survived; ughh.

The PA said I was his first "real" needle phobic patient and questioned why I did the procedure in the first place!

I was shaking, sweating and had to keep my eyes closed.

He actually did a pretty good job and hit the spot with one jab. Thank goodness.

I told him that this was my last resort and as long as I get results and shed weight I will overcome the dreaded "needles". :biggrin: I survived all the needles and IV's so far - to get here and hope like heck that it will all be worth it!