Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting filled after pg and establishing breast feeding . . .

For those who were unfilled during pregnancy, how long did you wait to get your fill after delivery?

I want to try and breastfeed, so I'm currently planning on waiting at least a month after delivery to get my supply established before getting a fill and cutting calories. Anyone find that getting a fill and eating less was problematic for their breastmilk supply?

If my post-partum eating is anything like my pregnancy eating, I can probably go a little while without a fill. I seem to have this perfect storm right now-- no fill, but NO sweet cravings, many of my favorite foods don't appeal, and I have to avoid fatty stuff due to gall bladder acting up early in pregnancy. I've found it easier to maintain my weight now, 14 weeks pregnant, than I ever have in my life!

you need a surplus of calories in order to make milk. I would suggest not getting a fill. Weight loss and breast feeding dont work. Breast feesing is good post partum it helps shrink your uterous down and you will have a flatter belly sooner.

If I remember correctly, you use up to 500 calories a day just breastfeeding. I would hold off on the fills. You have time to get that baby weight off.

I am going through the same problem. I am 34 weeks and am planning on breastfeeding, but i really want to get my band refilled so that i can jumpstart my weight loss again. I have gained about 30lbs so far and it has been really hard dealing with the extra weight. I am waiting to hear back from the support people at True Results to find out what is the safest for me and the baby.

Hopefully I won't have to wait too long.

Thanks for the input ladies.

Laceys, hang in there! Only a few more weeks for you! I'm at 20 weeks now (up 5-7 pounds, depending on the day) and while I'm happy it's only that much, I'm wondering what the next few weeks will bring!

Honestly, I think I'll look to the breastfeeding experts (including banded ladies with experience!) for information more so than the LAP-BAND® docs whose primary focus is weight loss. That's why I'm checking here and talking to breastfeeding people more so than my LAP-BAND® doc's office.

I think I'll just see how things go. I'll probably bump up the exercise and track calories better than I am now. If I can lose slowly, that's great, but I don't want to risk losing supply, especially in the early months.

I am 33 weeks and unfilled (see post) I was told I can get filled at 6 weeks post delivery and it should not effect breast feeding if I get the proper nutrition.

Best of luck to you with the breastfeeding when that time comes. I successfully breastfed both my boys, although I was not banded when I had them. My first son was bf till he was 12months and the second was bf till he was 16months. It was the greatest experience.

I have just less than 6 weeks left before my due date. Once the baby is born my band doc won't fill until he sees a barrium swallow - just to make sure everything has moved back to where it should be. Once I've done this we assess as we go. My 'sweet spot' is 3.5-4.5ml. I had a total unfill at 16 weeks so he has suggested that assuming everything is sitting where it should be I could have 2ml just to get a little restriction but not so much it impacts on milk production. He said everyone is different so we'll take it as it comes.

I had my lap band surgery when my daughter was 9 months old and I nursed her until 14 months. Our bodies are amazing, and it is not how much you are eating, it is what you are eating. My band allows me to eat like a normal preson. I am 6 weeks pregnant now with my second, praying that I won't need an unfill becasue of the expense and plan to nurse this baby too. If I can have surgery and still nurse, you can certainly get a fill and still nurse. Eat well!

I never had a unfill during pregnancy. I was 215 day I found out I was pregnant and day I had my son I was 218 (I had lost down to 208 but by end of preg had gotten back up).

My son is now almost 10 months old and I weighed 176 this am. I've still not had another fill (last fill was about 1 yr before I got pregnant).

I am breastfeeding my son, it's all going well.....in the beginning my supply was low but, that had nothing to do with the band.....my son was in the NICU and so had trouble latching. We are doing great now! I will stop breastfeeding when he's 1 yr old.

I highly recommend bf'ing....he's had one cold in 9 months!

I am burning on average they say 500 calories a day bf'ing!

I was pregnant in 2007/2008, and this was before I got my band this year. I was breastfeeding, but at 4months old, I joined the gym. Just going to the gym trying to lose some weight made my milk production struggle, and at 5 months, my son was crying so hard for food, I gave him formula, and that was the beginning of the end of breastfeeding. I know that trying to lose weight was the cause, and I wont be doing that again.

This time I have the band, and I'm only 8 weeks along. But I know I will not try to lose weight straight away, maybe not until after I finish breastfeeding. I'd rather breastfeed as much as I can, and give that to my baby (and also save ALOT of money!!)