Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help...I'm a train wreck!!!

I know this is something I should "be able to do"....I was banded on November 18...and started out great....however almost 2 weeks after I started eating whatever I wanted...I have felt nausea a time or two, but otherwise...NOTHING...tonight...I ate 3 pieces of pizza...I just cant seem to get my mind on track...

I am VERY concerned that I may have stretched out my pouch...or that maybe the lap band won't work for me.....I know it's only a TOOL and that I need to learn how to work with it.....this seems like any other "diet" I've tried and failed...I just want to cry!!....

Any help or encouragement would be wonderful!

Hello Neener! I was banded on 11/19, a day after you and I can say that there is no way I could eat 3 pieces of pizza and not vomit! From what I have read here, because we are so close to our first fill and our swelling has probably gone away, we will be hungry. I would suggest trying to focus on if you are "mentally" hungry vs. physically hungry. You may be eating out of emotion or habit...that is what got us to the band in the first place:o) Try not to stress too much and perhaps go back to drinking your protien shakes for a bit in between meals to help fill you up before your next visit! Feel free to ask, add me as a friend and we can keep in touch for support! Hang in there and always remember why you are here...especially before you eat!

OMG. I'm soooo with you.

I was banded on 11/20 and about two weeks post op I could eat any and everything in my house. I've eaten no-nos, as well...esp pizza and it doesn't bother my pouch. I have no problem getting food down. If I couldn't feel my port, I would swear that the dr. never put in my band!

However, I've been getting back on track, lately. I've been recording my foods at fitday.com to keep myself accountable. I don't want to type in 3 slices of Totinos pepperoni pizza again. That was bad.

As for stretching your pouch, that isn't something that happends overnight. It takes a long time of eating too much to cause damage. I wouldn't make it a habit, but just know that our poor eating habits lately haven't done any permanent damage. :scared2:

It's not at all unusual to be able to eat a bunch a couple of weeks after surgery. My husband and I were both banded and were shocked that we were both hungry and really able to eat when we got to where you are.

Just try and pay attention when you are satisfied (vs. full). And definitely EAT Proteins first. Avoid the carbs. In fact, I'd advise just ruling out pizza altogether. Allow yourself to eat so you're not hungry but at least make sure what you're eating is decent.

Our surgeon told us that only 25% of people lose weight in this time period (known as bandster hell because you're possibly hungry and haven't had a fill yet).

Good luck! Many of us have been there too! Supposedly it takes on average 4 fills to get to that sweet spot.

I've had fills and am often surprised how much I can still eat. But a "pig out" now is just nothing nothing nothing like before. It is worth it!

Heather

Banded since July. I was banded on 9 July and had my first fill on the 31st of July I then went 4months (not normal) without a fill because of job obligations. I was able to eat what I wanted pretty much but when I wanted to eat that 3 piece of pizza (small thin crust squares) I would have to tell myself NO this is going to make you feel sick. When you are in "banster hell" you really need to let your mind do a lot of this work for you until the 2nd fill. I can promise you when you get that second fill you will feel the difference and you will NOT be able to eat 3 full pieces of pizza no matter how small they are, thick or thin you simply will not be able to. I got my second fill on November 3 and can barely eat one pack of instant oatmeal. Also after this fill I find myself getting yet again a lesson in chewing my food better and taking my bites much slower.

This is a process that can not be rushed or tested because the results could be really bad. Just be patient and enjoy the ride. You will see the result but it will take time as everyone is very different at weight loss. Remember most of this process is of the mind, you must get your mind right for this whole thing to work for you.

Good luck and keep moving forward

Michele

I'm hungry a lot now and I am 4 weeks out. I'm still on the doctor suggested diet and switched to the soft solid stage today. I started to add a scoop of low fat Peanut Butter to my Protein shakes and that helps.

I definitely can't eat the quantity in one sitting that I used to. I stop eating once I feel full where as before I'd keep eating past that point and feel like a stuffed pig for hours after.

I don't go for my first fill till the 23rd. Of course my mother is mad because I won't be able to eat x-mas dinner now. lol I'm supposed to be on clears for 48 hours after a fill.

Oh well.. there's always next year. food is not here for me to devour food is here for me to live.

I know this is something I should "be able to do"....I was banded on November 18...and started out great....however almost 2 weeks after I started eating whatever I wanted...I have felt nausea a time or two, but otherwise...NOTHING...tonight...I ate 3 pieces of pizza...I just cant seem to get my mind on track...

I am VERY concerned that I may have stretched out my pouch...or that maybe the LAP-BAND® won't work for me.....I know it's only a TOOL and that I need to learn how to work with it.....this seems like any other "diet" I've tried and failed...I just want to cry!!....

Any help or encouragement would be wonderful!

Neener,

Quit beating yourself up. Once the swelling goes down and before the fills, it's pretty much as we were before being banded. Do your best. Take one day at a time.

I play these little head games with myself. If I *really* want to eat something I know I shouldn't have, I tell myself to 'just get through today' and if I want it tomorrow, I'm going to have it. Well, come 'tomorrow' and I wake up and don't want it. If I want it again that afternoon, I repeat the process. Sometimes I'm successful. Sometimes not but...and here's the biggie...I haven't gained any weight and I've actually lost some weight (10 pounds post surgery).

Forget yesterday...don't look to tomorrow. Just deal with today. You can do this!

Elfie - I do that same mind game thing....in fact, I still have a few pieces of Halloween candy in my fridge that I told myself I would eat if I wanted it once I was able to eat food again (I was banded just before Halloween)...yet they sit there, untouched, LOL.

One thing that also helps me is if I really want something, I go look up the calorie content....that usually turns me right off :eek:

Neener,

You have to realize that your tool isn't yet working the way it is suppose to. It won't work until it is filled to proper restriction, which may take some time and several fills to reach. However, little by little as you gain restriction you will eat less and feel satisfied on very little food.

I recommend that you only eat those foods that are beneficial to your body and getting healthy such as good solid Protein, veggies and Fiber and drink the required amount of Water each day. Avoid pizza for now since it is taking you 3 slices to feel satisfied. Later on, you can safely add the occasional slice of pizza. For now it is recommend that you count your calories and stay away from fatty foods.

You are going through bandster hell right now and I guarantee you that everybody that is banded has gone through this to some degree in the first month or two. Hang in there and keep your chin up. It does get much easier. In the meantime, if you are battling head hunger, I advise you to change your focus immediately. Take a brisk walk, do some chores around the house, anything that will take your mind off of food.< /p>

This band will work for you. You just need to be a little more patient.

Donna

Just want to thank you all so much for kind and encouraging responses!!...I'm not going to give up...I'm just mortified to go to the Dr. on the 15th and not have lost a pound!!!...AAARRRGGHHHH!!!...*deep breath*..lol....you guys are THE BEST!!! :eek:

You are definitely not alone! Over Thanksgiving week I gained 6 pounds because I discovered that I could eat just about anything....as long as I chewed well. I can honestly say, it took me until today to lose those 6 pounds and I am back to where I was while I was losing weight. I havent had my first fill and wont until December 17th, so I am carefully watching how much I eat. I try to eat a couple more times a day, but smaller amounts. It doesnt help that I have tonsillitis right now, and cant eat or drink anything without severe pain. Ice cream is my friend.......but in tiny amounts.

It is a tool. You have stated that. Work with your tool. And please be assured, YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!!! Best of luck!

Just want to thank you all so much for kind and encouraging responses!!...I'm not going to give up...I'm just mortified to go to the Dr. on the 15th and not have lost a pound!!!...AAARRRGGHHHH!!!...*deep breath*..lol....you guys are THE BEST!!! :eek:

I went in for my first fill and had gained 2 pounds. Of course, the next day I was down by 4, but of course that couldn't happen so that my doctor got to see it. My doc is a sweetie though. He said not to worry about it. That's normal. I love having a doc that has a band. He knows exactly where we're coming from and what we're dealing with on a personal level and not just from books.< /p>