Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To fill or not to fill

Went to the doc today to get the first fill and he said nope not this time.... amazingly he says my loss is good right now and that if I start feeling more hungry then when fill but not now.... arfff??? I thought I had to have a fill to have restriction does anybody not have any restriction and still done ok?

Well, are you hungry? If you're sticking to the new portion sizes and not suffering and still losing weight... why fill?

I get a fill when I'm struggling to eat just 4 ounces, not 14. I've been at restriction since the end of October though, so no need for one this coming visit :).

I actually met someone the other day that got banded in March this year, has not had a single fill and has lost 28kg so far! Everyone is different. I'm still wondering how she has done it but obviously she has. We need to fixate less on the fills and more on how we are doing. if you are losing weight and are not hungry then you probably don't need that fill. Wait until you really need it.

Went to the doc today to get the first fill and he said nope not this time.... amazingly he says my loss is good right now and that if I start feeling more hungry then when fill but not now.... arfff??? I thought I had to have a fill to have restriction does anybody not have any restriction and still done ok?

I lost weight....at a good rate...without restriction. But, that's not really the point (I mean it shouldn't be all the doctor goes on). The reason I lost the weight without proper restriction was bc I was relying on willpower. I knew I could eat anything I wanted, but for the most part...I didnt. It was like I was on a diet. And like other diets, I did real well the first few weeks. BUT, my doctor gauges fills on how much we can eat not on how much we can lose. So when I went in for my first fill, I told him I could easily eat a sandwich, bread and all!

But, if you feel full quickly and stay full for 3-4 hours, maybe you dont need a fill. Is it possible your doctor "primed" your band or put some Fluid in it at surgery? Mine was empty, but I know some people get a little in there. We are all so different.

However, if you ARE physically hungry,can eat anything, etc...you need to tell your doctor that. We are paying them (or insurance is) good money to help us.

Good luck!

My doc gives fills when we're hungry sooner than 3-4 hours after a meal and/or if we're able to overeat...and do even occasionally. It sounds like that's what your doc is telling you as well. If/when you're hungry, he'll do the fill.

The reality is that even when we get restriction, we'll have to use willpower and self-control to keep from eating the wrong foods, slider foods or even eating more than we should (even if that more is still less than we used to eat).