Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you feel the day after surgery?

I may have to either make a 2 hour drive (well, ride from Chattanooga - Atlanta) or a flight from C to A the day after my surgery. Can you tell me how you felt the day after surgery?

Driving yourself is definitely out. As a passenger, at least with a car you can recline your seat and nap. Airplane seats are so narrow as well. Overall, I'd probabaly choose car over plane.

I've also heard that when flying can cause problems with the band. Cabin pressure or something. I've heard that you shouldn't eat before or while flying. It could cause you some problems, so I would opt for driving.

On day 2 I was feeling yuckie. I was banded at about 1pm and was home by 5pm the same day. That night I was still all doped up on meds from the hospital so slept OK the first night. The 2nd day was hard, just getting up and out of bed was painfull.....it was not till about day 4 till I started feeling human again.

I was admitted after my surgery. It was supposed to be an out patient procedure but I was in so much pain I was admitted and kept on oxygen till 7 pm the following night. They needed to experiment with pain meds to keep me comfortable. Not fun.

I've also heard that when flying can cause problems with the band.

Plus there's that whole PV=nRt problem... any remaining gas they put into you while doing surgery will expand once you take off. That can't be pleasant.

Guest austrolatrishy

I wasn't up for anything until today... I was banded on 12/2. I hear everyone is different, and taking your pain meds will help LOL (I learned that the hard way) :thumbup:

I may have to either make a 2 hour drive (well, ride from Chattanooga - Atlanta) or a flight from C to A the day after my surgery. Can you tell me how you felt the day after surgery?

I went back to work (desk work) for about 3 hours, went home and took a 2 hour nap and then back to work for another hour or so. Went over to my mother-in-law's for an hour visit and then came home and lazed in bed the rest of the day.

However, based on my hour drive home from the clinic after surgery, I'd take the car ride over a plane ride *and* make sure you have someone to drive you. I had someone to drive me back and forth from work for several days and am glad I did as I tended to doze off in little cat naps without realizing I'd fallen asleep.

Yes everyone is different,I stayed at my sister that day and drove home the next.But I didn't have gas pain.And hot tea is good for sore thoat from the tube. I did do some running around today and walked to much i started to hurt were I was cut so got home and took a nap now I am washing and cleaning . so you wont know till that day comes.

I flew home 2.5 days after surgery. By then the gas pain had passed and I was feeling delicate but excited! Do you have to fly so soon?

The day after I had alot of gas pressure so was walking around the apartment alot. I would have preffered a car to a plane at that point, but not if I had to drive! I still felt kind of out of it.

the day after surgery, I was a little sore. I was moving a tad slow, but getting up and walking around. I took a shower this day. I also made sure I drank plenty of fluids and ate plenty of Jello and chicken broth. Periodlically, I would feel like someone was pinching the inside of me. This only last a few seconds. The day after surgery is when you will feel the most discomfort. Take your pain meds and walk. :0) The part that hurt the most, was the shoulder pain which is cause from the gas they fill you with in order to do the surgery.

I was up cleaning the house by my third day of being banded. I did not do a lot of bending over though. By the fourth day, I was doing a little more bending over, and walking is much easier and I am faster. :thumbup:

I am now on day 5, and I find that when I hicup, I get pains in my chest. I am sure those will go away as well.

It's really up to my mother if we fly. And I may not be going, but I wanted everyone's opinion! I am not worried about the seats being narrow, as my mother (fortunately) has her own plane. I was also hoping one of you (which you did) would bring up the cabin pressure issue! Thank you so much for bringing that up! A friend of my family's had the band, and she was shopping the next day. lol I know everybody is different. But thank you all for your comments!!

I was going to say that there is no way I could have flown the day after surgery. I couldn't have handeled getting thru the airport and all that, plus I had vomitting and diarrhea from the barium swallow. But if you're going on a private plane and don't have to go thru a lot to get there, then maybe.

I had surgery on the 24th n the day after i was sore as hell espicially where the port was. n dnt 4get u will have gas pain so I dnt suggest that u drive