Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to expect regarding weight loss and eating....

I have heard and read repeatedly that results vary and not to expect as much weight loss from the band as the bypass but I can't get a definate answer from anyone about their loss. I have seen results that "so and so" lost 110 pounds after a year and a half, but can someone definitively tell me approximately how much a week or a month or within six months what they lost? I am just trying to be realistic. I have surgery this Friday, the 11th. Also, how long before you were able to eat "real foods" not continue on broths, shakes, etc. I have friends that ate baby food for a few weeks.

Thanks for any input!

the lapband is geared to help you lose 2lbs per week, once you balance out. Depending on your starting point you will see rapid results of Water weight and the shock of not eating your normal food, as well as the low calorie intake.

So some people may lose 45lbs in 6weeks, but 30 of that may be Water weight, and the rest is a combination of things.

If you go to people's profiles most people have documented their journey with pictures with weights and dates on them. That should give you a fairly good idea.

The best advise I can give is to NOT compare yourself to others. The one thing I've noticed is that even though we're all getting the same thing, it's very different for each of us as individuals.

Hope that helped.

I just dont think you can compare it, the band relies so much on work from the owner, and not automatic weight loss, but some people have certainly lost staggering amounts of weight on here - like 100lb in six months. I lost 100 lb in 2 years - 70 the first year, 30 the next, starting from a BMI of 36. for the first couple of months, I lost at least 2lb every single weak, after that I tended to go a couple of weeks without losing and then suddenly lose 4lb or so. The second year, it was like two or three pounds a month on average - but in reality no loss for a couple of weeks and then a couple of pounds would go.

I was 3 weeks on liquids, 2 on mushies, solid foods after five weeks, I then ate a normal healthy diet and within reason whatever I felt like, never counted calories or worried about Protein, I ran for an hour five or six days a week and this past year (have been banded for 4 years now) have added in circuit training and boot camp to really get as small and toned as possible. I exercised very hard for my weight loss and I tend to think it was more jsut luck and genetics, but I dont really have loose skin and can put on a bikini at 42 years old which is by and large, not a bad outcome for WLS.

But that's me. The next person will tell you they cut carbs, strictly journalled everything they ate and walked for exercise. Everyone is different in what they are willing to do and how their bodies respond.

This is how it worked for me.

Started (January 09)- 290

Surgery day (mid May 09) - 265, about 1cc already inside.

First post op visit (late May)- 250, no fill.

Second visit (July 20)- 245, 1.5 cc

Third visit (August 18 )- 235, .5 cc.

Fourth visit (October 20)- 225, .5cc

Today- 205 (roughly).

Some of these numbers are approximate. Three weeks after surgery the swelling subsided enough that I could eat anything and let me tell you it was tough to make the right choices. I didn't starve myself like some bandsters will during this stage, though. I kept eating the things my dietitian wanted me to, but my portions were huge to me (although in hindsight they were just what a normal person would eat, so still less pre-banding). So after that first visit it was a real struggle.

Even after getting a fill, restriction didn't last longer than two weeks. On my fourth visit in October I finally got long lasting restriction, which I still have today. I'm losing steadily, I'd like to believe, because I'm following the rules to a tee. No carbonation, 64oz of Water, Protein first followed by produce, etc.

I was allowed to incorporate more solids slowly at six weeks, by the way.

This is so super helpful!

I guess I need to just keep my eyes on the prize. I was banded 10/16/09 and so far I have lost 32lbs. 30 of that was lost by 11/18. Since then I’ve stalled and sometimes gained- even though I think the scale is my greatest enemy. Now I haven’t followed everything to the tee- like consuming a total of 4oz per meal. I have exercised about 2-3 times a week for the past 3 weeks (hey it’s better than nothingJ) I have consciously stayed away from carbs even though every once in a while I have consumed some. Once thing I can say is that I haven’t really eaten to the point where I throw up as I have heard people say. I agree each person’s experience is different (I just need to fully accept it and stop being so hard on myself) The greatest thing is my clothes fit sooo much better and I don’t feel as tired and heavy as I used to. So all I can say is do what works for you and listen to your body. Goodluck

I believe 1-2 pounds per week is a realistic expectation. My nutritionist has warned me, though, that some people lose nothing the first month because the band is not filled yet. Also, there is just a lot going on that first month between the pre-op diet (if you have one), pre-op bowel prep, IV liquids, swelling, healing, etc. that I would try not to obsess too much about the scale during this time.

My personal advice (based on a lot of dieting I've done before) is really to not obsess about the scale at any time if you can. I've done best on diets before when I focus on working the program. If you work the program... in this case, follow the band rules, then the weightloss will follow. And, be patient cause does it REALLY matter how long it takes? If you are going in the right direction and the weight stays off, then you are doing well.

One thing I learned at our pre-op class which I thought was very useful info is that the nutritionist says that most people in my surgeon's program lose 60-70% of their excess weight. Those that keep going and lose ALL of their excess weight are the ones who exercise daily (or almost daily - like 6 out of 7 days). The exercise does not have to be really strenuous, but its these people who work it into their daily life and make it a habit that keep going and get all the way to goal. I was excited to hear that because I have really been getting more into exercise lately and I can see myself keeping that up for the rest of my life. In fact, when I got denied TWICE for this surgery, the one thing I kept doing is exercising cause it was the only thing that was making me feel better (even though it wasn't really helping me lose weight - once I have the band, I now know it is gonna make a big difference and I'm excited!).

I agree it's so hard to not want the fast weight loss but I know for me my body does not loose weight fast. EVER:cursing: So for me I've lost 11 lbs since surgery which was 11/12/09. I am still on the pureed diet. My doctor has a gradual diet program so I went from Clear Liquids the first week to full liquids the second week and now pureed for 2 weeks and soft solids for 2 weeks. I am expecting to loose between 1 - 2 lbs a week but I will be surprised if I do. I would like to loose a total of 80 lbs and my doctor said it would take me 2 years to do it.

I look at it this way.. easy and slow will be better health wise for me and I won't have to worry about excess skin. :sneaky: hopefully.

Everyone is different and your journey is just beginning so good luck and let us know how you make out. :thumbup:

As the other posters said, everyone is different. My doctor said ideally when I hit my sweet stop I should lose 2 pounds per week. I have never had that happen.

Thanks for everyone's input. I used to lose weight very quickly but the past year or so it has not been easy to do. All the yo-yo dieting has caught up with me. Finally realized I could not keep doing this and figured I needed some help - that is why I'm being banded. I have always been impatient - LOL - and am just anxious to move on with this next chapter of my life!

i am not banded yet but just had my first consultation the Dr. told me and my husband that men lose weight faster which we both knew... but that we would be at our target weight within the first year... so that was a huge boost to look forward to... i started thinking OMG this time next year I can be way healthier and feel so much better. not to mention the obvious of looking better...

as far as eating and drinking he said we would do a 2 weeks preop diet of mainly liquids and then for about the first few days after liquids then for the first week or 2 mushy foods and then we would gradually be able to add solid foods back in he said the only thing that you will probably not want to eat again.. would be things with white flour ... because white flour and Water essentially makes paste and so that leaves out a few favs but I think we can live without if it means a happier, healthier longer life together.

I have heard and read repeatedly that results vary and not to expect as much weight loss from the band as the bypass but I can't get a definate answer from anyone about their loss.

That's because the results are unique to each individual.

Also, how long before you were able to eat "real foods" not continue on broths, shakes, etc. I have friends that ate baby food for a few weeks.

Thanks for any input!

I was back on real foods by the end of week 2.