Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Counting Calories??

Do any of you count cal? I have had myself down to 800 / day and not lost weight (unbanded) b/c I am severely insulin resistant. My endocrinologist has told me I need to be around 600 cal or under to lose weight. Am I just kidding myself that the band will help me do this?? I dont feel too well on 800 cal and cant stay on that diet for longer than a few months. I can comfortably stay on 1000 cal but I dont lose weight. Do any of you count calories and stay around 600 cal / day? Is this even possible?? I guess I am going to be a turtle if I do get this LB, which is ok (not that I want to be though) but I would hate to have this surg and lose 10 pounds and that is it.

I live by counting calorie,s Don,t take this the wrong way but your Endocrinologist is very wrong by telling you that. Talk with you doctor,you will stave your self your body will be fighting it self for every calorie you would be putting your health at RISK!

I some time,s eat around 800 calorie,s but Find for my self if I stay around 1000 I loose the weight the easyest, 1200 calorie,s is healther?

Im Not baned and I have to count calories and exercise every day to keep my weight off Its a mind game ( for me ) tHIS WEEK I HAVE NOT WALKED OR WORKED OUT AT ALL BECAUSE OF INJURY...SO I STAYED THIS WEEK AROUND 800/1000 AND HAVE KEPT MY WEIGHT OFF!

iF i CAN TELL YOU ANY THING dON,T TRY AND TAKE YOUR WEIGHT OFF TO FAST,RAPID WEIGHT LOSS BY STAVING YOUR SELF CAN CAUSE YOU TO HAVE YOUR GALLBLADDER TO BE REMOVED! and its not healthy. You did not gain the weight over night and you will not loose it over night!

Take care hope you meet your weight loss goals. IN TIME!

Well- I already had my gallbladder removed after having my first baby (commonly happens after pg) but anyway I am not worried about losing weight fast I am worried about losing weight. Actually I have had 3 dr's tell me I will have to get below 800 cal/ day to lose weight. But I am hoping if I stay very low carb and with the band- I may be able to lose weight I just think I am going to have to steer very clear of carbs b/c of my insulin resistance. Hopefully the band will make it easier b/c I am hoping to feel full after I eat my Protein and some low carb veggies?? I know generally speaking very low cal diets can put your body is starvation mode-- but we are not talking about a normal body make up here due to the endocrine disorder. Jill

Wow I have never had a dr tell me to eat below 1000 calories. Actually when I had fill that was too tight and was only eating 600 - 800 calories a day I wasn't lossing a thing...I actually gained a little. Now that I have had some taken out and I am eating 1000 - 1200 calories I am loosing anywhere from 2 - 4 pounds each week. I really can not believe that you have 3 doctors telling you to eat so little that just is simply not healthy. Good luck on what ever you deceide to do.

When i was on my clear liquid phase, I was only getting between 500 and 600 calories a day and initially I lost weight, but it came to a stand still. Then I went to my creamy liquids and was getting between 600 to 800 still no loss, then when i upped to 900 to just under a 1000 my weight loss has started again...and eventually I will work up to 1200 to see how I do. I also this week started walking everyday.

I have had myself down to 800 / day and not lost weight (unbanded) b/c I am severely insulin resistant. My endocrinologist has told me I need to be around 600 cal or under to lose weight.

Oh my goodness. I'm certainly no expert, but that sounds crazy. Not only is it unhealthy, but who could possibly maintain that for any length of time?

I personally have set my calories at 800 a day just because I am crazy. I also do cardio everyday for 30 minutes which burns about 260 calories. Every nutritionist and doctor I have ever talked to told me not to go below 1200 calories in a day. And that if you aren't losing weight with that you should be exercising to take up the slack on the rest. If you are insulin resistant the calories aren't your problem, the carbs and sugars are. You have to stay away from white breads and pastas and sweets entirely. You can stay low carb, notice I didn't say no carb, especially when you are insuli resistant and lose weight with 1200 calories a day and exercise. Most endocrinologist will say the same. Now this, of course is the healthy way to lose weight and the slow way, so I don't listen, but if you are wanting to be healthy about it no doctor should tell you otherwise. You can go on the web and search for a calculator where you put in your weight/height/age and exercising and it will tell you how many calories you need in 1 day and from that it will tell you how many you have to cut in order to lose what you want. Those calculators will never go below 1200 calories though. I know everyone on here used to have a link to one and if you do please post it for everyone to use. Hope this helps a little...I know the band docs say you don't have to count calories, but you do if you want to weight. Good luck sweetie!

Well I couldnt maintain 800 cal for more than a few months. I have tried 1600 cal -- no loss 1500 cal--- no loss 1400,1300,1200,1100,1000 etc. I just dont lose-- I am kinda scared this band may not work either, I really can say with a totally clear conscious that i have sincerely tried with all my heart to lose weight . NO CHEATING! NOT EVEN A LITTLE! I will follow to the letter for 4-5 months at a time thinking shirley it will come I will lose some weight-- then I give up and just eat whatever I want after a few months of starving and no weight loss. But I actually enjoy more healthier foods-- but choc, diet coke and pizza are pretty high on my list too. I do think that part of my problem is that it is very hard to have that low of a cal food by eating mostly Protein. So I do reley on no fat carbs which have fewer calories than some Proteins b/c most proteins have fat and fat has more calories than carbs or proteins. Hmm well I do think the band is worth a try and hopefully it will help some. I need to lose 100 lbs but wow even if I lost 50 how great would that be for my health, I dont care about being skinny so if I only lose 50 of the 100 I need to lose I think I will be ok with that! Jill

Well I couldnt maintain 800 cal for more than a few months. I have tried 1600 cal -- no loss 1500 cal--- no loss 1400,1300,1200,1100,1000 etc. I just dont lose-- I am kinda scared this band may not work either, I really can say with a totally clear conscious that i have sincerely tried with all my heart to lose weight . NO CHEATING! NOT EVEN A LITTLE! I will follow to the letter for 4-5 months at a time thinking shirley it will come I will lose some weight-- then I give up and just eat whatever I want after a few months of starving and no weight loss. But I actually enjoy more healthier foods-- but choc, diet coke and pizza are pretty high on my list too. I do think that part of my problem is that it is very hard to have that low of a cal food by eating mostly Protein. So I do reley on no fat carbs which have fewer calories than some Proteins b/c most Proteins have fat and fat has more calories than carbs or proteins. Hmm well I do think the band is worth a try and hopefully it will help some. I need to lose 100 lbs but wow even if I lost 50 how great would that be for my health, I dont care about being skinny so if I only lose 50 of the 100 I need to lose I think I will be ok with that! Jill

I am wondering, if you lost weight, would it help your insulin resistance? Are you currently on medication? Hmmm. On one hand you would be an ideal bandster as you are a diet pro! Anyone that can maintain that low of calorie count, pre weight loss surgery, must have some incredible willpower.

Like the others, I am worried health-wise that the below 800 calories will not allow you to get the nutrition needed. However, the band would help you feel more satisifed with the amounts that you are eating!

Hi Jill: I'm not an MD, but I presume that the reason you're not losing weight is METABOLIC. In other words, you're metabolism is way too efficient, so that it tries to do all that it can to conserve fat stores instead of use them for fuel.

Have you talked to other professionals about how to increase your metabolism, as opposed to just reducing calories so radically? From what I've read, there are only a few ways to increase metabolism: While Eating Food; While Exercising; and by increasing muscle. There are also some foods that do help (like spicy foods with peppers like salsa), but I think their impact is fairly minimal. I need to learn more about this as well.

I have been banded for only 2 months. I try to eat around 1000 calories per day, but I often go up to 1300 or 1500. I find it hard to keep the calories low, I do feel hungry. I'm still in the process of getting the proper fill, but I do find that restriction is different than feeling full. I only lost .5lb in the past 2 weeks, and felt a little discouraged, but reminded myself that this is a long-term lifestyle and learning process. I also eat alot of Protein - and there are definitely ways to have plenty of Protein with very low calories (e.g. Isopure Protein Drink has 40g protein for 160 calorie bottle). I do find that the more protein, the more satisfied I feel. The band is definitely not "easy", but I know, without a shadow of a doubt, that I will be much more successful with the band than I could ever be without! I anticipate that it will get easier as I really learn how to use it and my commitment grows as I lose weight. You're wise to ask the questions now as you're thinking about this huge decision. Good luck!

Well, in a half hour I go for my fitness assesment. I spoke with my doctor this morning about not loosing weight, not at 1200 calories, not at 1000 calories. I excersize several times a week, plus I walk lots. She suggested that I might need to excersize 90 minutes a day. ARGGGG

Yes Vines, please let us know...as I'm very interested in knowing what happens at a fitness evaulation? And what exactly they determine from it.

Melissa

Wow, I am also very insulin resistant and take 30mg. of Actos daily. My Doctor wants me to stay at 1200-1400 calories a day. (This is all still preband numbers) He said that if lost as little as 30 lbs the insulin resistance would be much less severe and actually make it easier to lose weight. I am actually quiet successful in losing weight around 1200 calories if I am taking in 20g. or less of carbs per meal. The problem is that it has been very hard for me to do that long term. So I am not very successful in sticking with it or keeping it off.

I just had to add that I have never heard of a Dr. advising anyone to keep calories under 1000 for ANY extended period of time. Never. Not even on a for a short-term "crash diet". Someone correct me if I am wrong, but after the initial couple weeks of banding calories should not be below 1000 should they?