Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

old bandster looking for support, direction, advice

Thanks Joe for the encouraging words to us all.

I have been making progress on writing out my 2 weeks of planned eating for starting on January 1 with a band friendly meal of pork roast and saurkraut which is for luck in the new year. I think the South likes black eyed peas or some other food traditions for New Year's day meal.

Getting through the holidays one day at a time. I made a big effort to send all the food home with everyone else so that I don't have stuff left to work on. ie. cheat myself!

I got a 15 lb kettle bell and a set of 10 lb dumbell weights to be able to work out more at home. Each came with a DVD on using them so hoping to supplement the cardio type stuff I do at the gym or walking with some weight training too.

I was banded quite a while ago. Long enough that I should have reached my goal weight by now. ;) I did fairly well right after surgery, then hit a plateau, then lost some more, then plateaued, and now have gained. I'm still well below my starting weight and I want to get back on track and use my band to help me get there so I'm looking for some support!

I feel like I have failed. I was given this tool to use to help me lose weight and I feel like I have done everything in my power to get around it. I am a food addict for sure, and I do not recognize when I am feeling full. I had (have?) what I felt was good restriction from 5 fills over a year or so (I've been banded a lot longer than that, no fills recently). But I consciously eat things I know I shouldn't, eat too fast, too much, well y'all know how it goes. My life is super stressful and I use food for comfort. Another issue is I don't want to go back to my original surgeon, long story.

So, what do I do now? I'm at the point where I feel like I've given up on my band. Don't get me wrong, I WANT to get back on track but I just can't see how I can at this point.

Thanks for listening.

I am experiencing the EXACT, SAME issue. I feel like a total failure. My doctor was great, technically, but there was absolutely "no service after the sale". This is clearly not the doctor's fault but I hate the thought of calling the office and asking for a fill. Don't know what to do. I'm planning to go to weight watcher's on Saturday but until I get my head on straight I don't think that will work either. Any ideas?

I still do pretty good on my eating after two years, but I have all but given up on the exercise, and have noticed that without it, I'm gainiing. I've put on 5 pounds since Thanksgiving. I haven't been to the health club in two months!! I used to go religiously. Now I'm simply bored to tears with it, and now that it's winter, I can't seem to be enthused about getting into an ice cold pool to do Water aerobics. I've told the club the water is to cold, but they say exercising in a cold pool is "healthier". Not when your lips are blue, your teeth are chattering and you're shivering the entire time!!! I have arthritis, so other forms of exercise are difficult and I have to be so careful. So, I'm also in a slump. I'm angry at myself and very frustrated.

I too was going through a slump with the gym. I had only been going maybe once a week for the past month if not longer. I started to feel lazy and bad about myself even. So this past weekend I got my boyfriend to go with me and even after initial visit back I began to feel better, then went the next day. But yesterday I got my wisdom teeth pulled so I haven't been able to go back yet but trust me, I will! I feel it does nothing but good things for me, gotta get back to weight loss not maintaining my weight, I still wanna loose an other 40lbs!! I hope all the best for all of you! I think this site works well to just get your thoughts out there and talk about it!!

I know how you feel!!! I feel the same way!! I had the lap band surgery done in Mexico 6 and 1/2 years ago. That was before most people in the U.S. had even heard of it. I was 21 at the time and I was desperate to lose weight. It took me about 2 years to lose 100 pounds (I hit several plateaus). At 5 foot 7 inches, and 150 pounds, I had a Tummy Tuck and I looked pretty good - I have to admit! I maintained the 150 pounds for about 3 and 1/2 years before I gained 20 back. I now weigh around 168-170 and I look chubby again. I'm very disappointed in myself! I have completely taken the band for granted! I don't pay attention to it anymore. I eat past full all the time and I constantly have chest pressure and stomach pain. I need to be re-motivated! I have forgotten what it feels like to be excited about the band.

I was banded quite a while ago. Long enough that I should have reached my goal weight by now. :) I did fairly well right after surgery, then hit a plateau, then lost some more, then plateaued, and now have gained. I'm still well below my starting weight and I want to get back on track and use my band to help me get there so I'm looking for some support!

I feel like I have failed. I was given this tool to use to help me lose weight and I feel like I have done everything in my power to get around it. I am a food addict for sure, and I do not recognize when I am feeling full. I had (have?) what I felt was good restriction from 5 fills over a year or so (I've been banded a lot longer than that, no fills recently). But I consciously eat things I know I shouldn't, eat too fast, too much, well y'all know how it goes. My life is super stressful and I use food for comfort. Another issue is I don't want to go back to my original surgeon, long story.

So, what do I do now? I'm at the point where I feel like I've given up on my band. Don't get me wrong, I WANT to get back on track but I just can't see how I can at this point.

Thanks for listening.

:tongue2: Wow, you are telling my story...I am almost 4 yrs out and have been ~10 lbs from my goal weight for a long time and now I have gained 5 lbs from eating holiday sweets...just a bite at a time, but it adds up for sure.

I am making this problem my #1 NY resolution...I've come too far to blow it now.

Take each day, and each meal, one at a time...we can do this...I know it.

best of luck to us, Joanie :blink:)

Hey Typo -

1st step - you are here.

2nd step - you realize what you did in error, and are willing to change.

3rd step - Let's try and keep motivated - I was banded 2 years ago, just had a revision, and want to start losing again too.

I need to plan out my food, keep the crap (slider foods) out of the house, and get to the gym at least 3x's a week. I am commited to it.

Brenda:thumbup:

:)Me too, I have to keep the bad stuff out of the house, cause I still don't have the willpower to ignore it.

Hi all. Thanks for the great replies! I'm still formulating a plan for the New Year and that includes picking a different doctor to see for a fill. My current insurance doesn't cover anything related to my band and money is a big issue as I am tring to finish a college degree that will enable me to support my family. My husband has been unemployed for over a year and has been underemployed for many, many years. I graduate in the spring, just one more semester but it's going to be veeery stressful! Did I mention I eat when I am stressed?? Bleh, gotta get a handle on that.

So that's where I am today. Hope everyone is having a nice holiday season!

Edited by typoqueen

From those of you struggling and needing support - I can tell you I slipped my band a year after getting it. Mostly from eating the wrong things and drinking with my food. When I thought I would lose the band forever, it kicked my butt back into reality. I got the band fixed and I have tried very hard to take care of it. For any of you who have had an unfill - you know that the cravings come back immediately and that old feeling of no control comes right back. The band is my friend and I will love it and protect it so I never lose it!! Just wanted to mention that to anyone struggling!! When the band is tight enough - you have control. If you don't it's not tight enough...

This is a GREAT thread -- let's keep encouraging each other. I took December 31 2009 photos last night for a year end recap of where I stand and that helped me visually see where I am and capture it so I don't forget it. Tonight I am going to get my tape measure out and finally give in to my fear and measure myself all over and capture those numbers. A year from now, I promise all of you, and most importantly myself, I WILL be thinner.

Here is a great link someone sent me this a.m. in email that is a great way to hit the RESET button on your heart and mind to get ready for the new year. You can do this!

http://www.simpletruths.tv/mybb/

I was really happy to see this thread. I came back to LBT because of these very same issues, and am looking to share support and hear what others have done to "re-motivate". I have been gaining weight back for the past 6 months.

I need to stop using food for things other than healthy nourishment. Maybe I need counseling or some form of behavior modification. I also want to explore this "slider" food issue that was brought up.

Looking forward to the next chapter of this journey, which will have to include believing in myself this time. This will probably be the hardest part. I just realized that I had it in the back of my mind that I would "probabably fail" again even going in to the surgery. Not a good way to start.

Okay I did get the Tape Measure out and measured myself for Hips, Waist, Bust, Thighs, Arms and Neck. That was a hard mental thing for me to do but to be honest I was kind of numb about what the numbers mean as clothing size helps me measure it in other terms.

I do find it very very frustrating that I can't tell for sure what clothing size I am in for the inches the tape measure shows. I bought a pair of workout pants yesterday that were a 1X and the difference to the "normal" XL in the same brand was weird - not as much room in the hips and stomach area as I needed but the length of the 1X pants were like 4" longer than the XL. I am getting a pair of scissors out to cut off the excess and then will have to hem them. I found it too cold at the gym in shorts and wanted the longer workout pants. Can't give myself any excuse to not work out and get those exercise minutes in!

I also have jeans ranging from 20 to 22 and normal dress pants that are 18WP so finding pants that fit is a real challenge when you have the surplus pooch stomach skin. My legs below are actually pretty thin (for me).

I am also finding tops or shirts range all over the place -- 1X is different than XL, some L fit, and even one sweater in a Medium fit but it was made big. Isn't that funny how we used to classify clothing as to it was cut small....and now I can tell when something is cut bigger or more generous! Bottom line, I used to be terrible at not trying clothing on in the stores, due to being embarrassed or hoping the biggest size they had would fit, and now I have to do better trying things on because I can't tell what will fit. What my mind tells me I can wear, isn't what fits -- I keep looking at the 3X end of the racks!

Okay I did get the Tape Measure out and measured myself for Hips, Waist, Bust, Thighs, Arms and Neck. That was a hard mental thing for me to do but to be honest I was kind of numb about what the numbers mean as clothing size helps me measure it in other terms.

I do find it very very frustrating that I can't tell for sure what clothing size I am in for the inches the tape measure shows. I bought a pair of workout pants yesterday that were a 1X and the difference to the "normal" XL in the same brand was weird - not as much room in the hips and stomach area as I needed but the length of the 1X pants were like 4" longer than the XL. I am getting a pair of scissors out to cut off the excess and then will have to hem them. I found it too cold at the gym in shorts and wanted the longer workout pants. Can't give myself any excuse to not work out and get those exercise minutes in!

I also have jeans ranging from 20 to 22 and normal dress pants that are 18WP so finding pants that fit is a real challenge when you have the surplus pooch stomach skin. My legs below are actually pretty thin (for me).

I am also finding tops or shirts range all over the place -- 1X is different than XL, some L fit, and even one sweater in a Medium fit but it was made big. Isn't that funny how we used to classify clothing as to it was cut small....and now I can tell when something is cut bigger or more generous! Bottom line, I used to be terrible at not trying clothing on in the stores, due to being embarrassed or hoping the biggest size they had would fit, and now I have to do better trying things on because I can't tell what will fit. What my mind tells me I can wear, isn't what fits -- I keep looking at the 3X end of the racks!

:unsure:Been there...frustrating, I know, but hang in there...

This is a great thread! I hope we can all keep this going as I could have written just above every post here!

Will be 3 yr. Anniv. for me on March. Would really like to be at least under 200 if not closer to 190.

I like the measuring tape idea, as I have been walking just about every day, but only really see the difference when looking at my thighs not on the scale.

Would love to check into this thread daily!

:unsure:

we were just talking about this today at curves!!my surgery was 12-19-8 i have lost 91 so far! but you still

have to have the will power! drink and drink!and exercise

dont give up your worth it!!find another dr and support

group once a month helps me also.

good luck.....