Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mucus! Clogging up my band...

Since my third fill I have been producing too much mucous which is clogging up my band. It prevents food from going down and has me constantly throwing up every time I eat. All that comes up is just a big glob of mucus. Does anyone else experience this? Is it from a cold? Warm liquids seem to help but sometimes it stops everything from going on, hmmm...:confused:

It sounds like you are too tight. When was this last fill?

Did you do liquids for a few days after the fill and then work yourself up to soft stuff? It sounds like the mucus is how you "slime". It is saliva that is being over produced to help you start digestion. If you are throwing up so frequently, you need a little unfill.

Call your surgeon's office and ask them.

I had an upper respiratory infection that just wouldn't completely go away. Long after the infection was gone, I still had sinus drainage that dumped a ton of mucus. I feel your frustration! Hot tea with lemon was my salvation. I drank a cup of tea as hot as I could swallow before every meal and that broke up the mucus and made it possible for me to eat. I don't like to take decongestants because they invariably make me too dry but that might be an option for you.

I agree with Humming Bird - You're too tight. Been there a few times myself. They can add only .25 Cc , or .5 cc at a time, so maybe you want to have half of what you just had put in, taken out. Especially if you didnt have enough restriction before the fill. Find a happy medium :-)

Good Luck!

I have this sinus thong going on right now too. Ever since it seems like the amount of mucus produced is causing my insides to flair up. I have been living off shakes and broth for three days. Now all the mucus and irritation has started acid reflux during the day. I'm hoping it goes away soon or I will be getting another unfill which depresses me because it took me a year to get my band adjusted right.

I have to say I disagree with you being too tight. Although that might be the problem, but I have mucus issues too and it has nothing to do with how tight I am. I've been at a perfect restriction for about a year and I periodically have problems with mucus clogging up my band. For me it has to do with the weather or what kinds of foods I eat. Seasonal allergies affect me too. There are some days when I can't get anything down but warm liquids. liquid Mucinex helps during these times for me. Staying hydrated will help thin the mucus. On those days just try to eat Soup and liquids. Of course if it persists for longer than a couple of days, you might want to see your doc. Good luck.

I'm with Bea! You're not too tight. You just need to address the mucous. Read my post a couple of posts before yours.

Some things that increase mucous production (besides being sick) include orange juice and dairy products -- my father was an opera singer (and the choir director at church) and he refused both of those things for several days before he had to sing for that reason. I thought he was a little nutsy, ya know? But I tried it and realized that it did make a difference. The mucous I had was thinner in consistency.

Mucinex is good if it's a temporary thing. If you have regular mucous problems, ask your primary care physician for a prescription.

Also, melon can cause mucus. There is an old adage about melon, "eat it alone or leave it alone".

The EXACT same thing has been happening to me for several months now. It is so gross. The mucus is really, really thick and completely blocks anything from going down and eventually I have to go throw it up. I have also developed really awful acid reflux which I think is just from not being able to consistently keep get enough solid food down.

I used to be able to eat relatively normally, and occasionally something would get stuck. I would have piercing pain in the band area, the salivating, and eventually need to throw up whatever is stuck. This does not happen anymore, now it's this bizarre mucus thing. It seems like it happens when something has trouble going down. The mucus builds up behind it and I get a sensation of pressure building. It will reach a point where the urge to vomit becomes involuntary and usually after vomiting, I will feel something dislodge and go down.

I agree that staying hydrated really, really helps, I will have to try the mucinex, I'd not thought of that.

It is very frustrating however, because I find that I am not eating for long periods of time because I just don't want to deal with it. I end up starving and waiting until I have a little window where things are going down easy and then binging a little. Like I am trying to "stock up".

The EXACT same thing has been happening to me for several months now. It is so gross. The mucus is really, really thick and completely blocks anything from going down and eventually I have to go throw it up. I have also developed really awful acid reflux which I think is just from not being able to consistently keep get enough solid food down.

I used to be able to eat relatively normally, and occasionally something would get stuck. I would have piercing pain in the band area, the salivating, and eventually need to throw up whatever is stuck. This does not happen anymore, now it's this bizarre mucus thing. It seems like it happens when something has trouble going down. The mucus builds up behind it and I get a sensation of pressure building. It will reach a point where the urge to vomit becomes involuntary and usually after vomiting, I will feel something dislodge and go down.

I agree that staying hydrated really, really helps, I will have to try the mucinex, I'd not thought of that.

It is very frustrating however, because I find that I am not eating for long periods of time because I just don't want to deal with it. I end up starving and waiting until I have a little window where things are going down easy and then binging a little. Like I am trying to "stock up".

I am so glad I am not alone. I even had one morning that as soon as I woke up I had to throw up. It did not stop until all the globs of mucus came up. I actually started doing it in a glass so I could see what was coming up.

I once told one of the fill docs and he said it was impossible. I was thinking of giving up. I have 4 months left of fills but I dont know if I will really keep trying anymore (To get to my sweet spot and make the fill stick). However, a few weeks ago I was sick with a cold and my MD gave me a prescription for Fluisolide its a nasal spray that has steroids and I am starting to have better luck. I am not all plugged up in the morning. I can drink during the day if I do it slow. I am not closed shut in the am and wide open in the pm. So I will give it a bit longer and see what happens.

I have gotten to my sweet spot a few times now. Its at 5.5 cc. Right now I am at 5 cc and I am not ready to give it another try...sigh...well luck to use all.

Edited by itschoice

I have to say I disagree with you being too tight. Although that might be the problem, but I have mucus issues too and it has nothing to do with how tight I am. I've been at a perfect restriction for about a year and I periodically have problems with mucus clogging up my band. For me it has to do with the weather or what kinds of foods I eat. Seasonal allergies affect me too. There are some days when I can't get anything down but warm liquids. liquid Mucinex helps during these times for me. Staying hydrated will help thin the mucus. On those days just try to eat Soup and liquids. Of course if it persists for longer than a couple of days, you might want to see your doc. Good luck.

just wanted to say thanks for this post.. I am starting to get over a major cold, and couldn't keep any food down for a couple days. I was going to schedule an unfill, but came here first to see if this was an issue for anyone else. I picked up some Mucinex and it sure did help. I know not everyone with this problem will find Mucinex a 'quick fix' (especially if you really DO need an unfill), but wanted to say it can be a great help for a temporary mucous problem (like a cold). :smile2:

I am so glad I read this post....this has been happening to me for almost a year...I thought it was something I was doing wrong. Also, just in case you didn't know...Mucinex is the same ingredient found in plain Robitussin so I am going to Walmart and buy the generic brand..it is alot cheaper than the Mucinex. Thanks!