Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

reality check after banding

wow that does make perfect sense, thank you for that insight, it is a little personal trainer and permanent head alarm, eat something bad and your so going to pay for it. I have been addicted to food for most of my adult life, its a social thing, meet with friends-eat, family holiday-eat, date night-eat. I dont care if i eat again, it made me the fat girl that I once was and will never be again, it has changed my life. I was banded 4 months ago and are finally getting it.

My name is Kristi and I am a recovering FOOD-AHOLIC. I was banded on 6/8/09. That day was both a fantastic day and a very sad day for me. It was a fantastic day because I was given a great tool to help me lose my excess weight and keep it off. It was a very sad day because I also lost my best friend that day...food. I had no idea how much my life revolved around food. It seemed like every aspect of my social life included eating. And of course, I wouldn't just order a small appetizer or salad to nibble on. I would order an appetizer, a meal, and most likely a dessert. I would eat around the clock.

The band has totally changed my food perspective. When I go out w/ friends and I am truly hungry, I order a small appetizer or split something with one of my friends. If I'm not hungry, I order some iced tea or coffee. I now enjoy the socializing so much more than the food.

When I got the band, I made a promise to myself that I would not "go nuts" with measuring, counting calories or carbs, or analyzing every bite that I put in my mouth. I wanted my band to be an active part of my life, but not the controlling factor. I have been extremely happy w/ my life post-band. I watch what and how much I eat. But, if I want a taste of something, I take a taste. With allowing myself a taste, I don't feel deprived... I feel like I am LIVING. :Yawn:

Ok here I was thinking, wow, she and her husband are so smart, I feel the same way!!! I should share, but then look how many people agree with you. I was thrilled to scroll down and see so many people with the same feelings/emotions I have. I was banded on 11/23 and of course, Thanksgiving was tough, but I ended up having a great day and really taking time to enjoy my family. In only five days I feel so empowered.

what a great feeling it is to have so much feedback. you guys are awesome... thanks! its been 6 days and as of right now i am feeling great.. i truly feel like i am on the road to recovery and a new me. it's wonderful to see so many of us share the same thoughts.. it's very comforting. for the first time in my life i am able to come to terms with my addiction and i actually tell people my weight.. that's huge. lol

i wish everyone speedy recoveries, smooth surgeries, and happy researching... :Yawn:

[raises hand] food ADDICT yes. Meeee, too. I have known it for a long time. I use the term obsessed more than addicted because my counselor corrects me about the terminology all the time. BUt it is what it is.

I haven't gotten my band, yet---Monday is the day. Since I have restricted my food preoperatively, I already notice how much of my day is spent thinking about or acquiring food. The money I spend on food is way more than I thought. I am like a junkie. I need my fix. I am hungry all the time. Eating actually makes me hungrier. I told my surgeon how I think of food while I am eating food. He nodded his head slowly. I am sure he has heard it all before.

After the past 12 days, I am less hungry with much less food but still obsessed. Today, it was a pancake obsession. I can't stop thinking about them and seeing references to pancakes everywhere I look.

[raises hand] food ADDICT yes. Meeee, too. I have known it for a long time. I use the term obsessed more than addicted because my counselor corrects me about the terminology all the time. BUt it is what it is.

I haven't gotten my band, yet---Monday is the day. Since I have restricted my food preoperatively, I already notice how much of my day is spent thinking about or acquiring food. The money I spend on food is way more than I thought. I am like a junkie. I need my fix. I am hungry all the time. Eating actually makes me hungrier. I told my surgeon how I think of food while I am eating food. He nodded his head slowly. I am sure he has heard it all before.

After the past 12 days, I am less hungry with much less food but still obsessed. Today, it was a pancake obsession. I can't stop thinking about them and seeing references to pancakes everywhere I look.

Good luck on Monday!:Yawn:

I think most of us totally understand this concept. I definitely am addicted to carbohydrates. I could eat nachos everyday! I realized I have to eat low carb to stay in control of what I eat, or I literally have no control. The band has been a tool for Portion Control, but it doesn't make my food choices for me (well...it helps a little).

WLS is definitely NOT the easy way out! We still have to work for it!

I am getting my band in the morning. I am so excited and nervous. I too am addicted to food. My relationship with food has been the most stable one in my life. I am looking forward to eating for health, versus entertainment, feelings and boredom.

weight.png

Edited by jenny93955

My relationship with food has changed a lot since getting the band. Once you reach restriction you have far less hunger. Yes I still have head hunger occasionally, but that's a different story. I make healthy food choices (most of the time) and allow myself a taste of something I just can't resist. The difference is it is just a bite and not the whole thing! I no longer crave white flour and sugar and can still eat pretty much anything with no problems. Listen to your body, be patient and most of all work with your doctors if your struggling. I wish you all the best in your journey, I luv my band, it has given me a whole new life.

will you tell me how long the procedure takes and how long after could you leave the hospital. I was thinking about having the procedure.

"I am less hungry with much less food but still obsessed. Today, it was a pancake obsession. I can't stop thinking about them and seeing references to pancakes everywhere I look."

This really caught my attention, primarily because I have experienced the exact sensation regarding pancakes! Whew, I am not alone.

I am twelve days post-op and having major anxiety...but what it boils down to is I have to admit I am a food addict and now that I put it down on "paper" things should get better, right?

Starting at 317, down to 311 then 296.4 day of surgery, I am constantly worried about everything I put in my mouth. Thanks for letting me vent.

S

will you tell me how long the procedure takes and how long after could you leave the hospital. I was thinking about having the procedure.

My doctor says the procedure is only about an hour and most people get to go home the same day. I am going to have to spend the nite though because I had a liver transplant in April of last year and he wants to keep an eye on me to make certain i am doing o.k. Good luck if you decide to go through with the surgery. Visit here as often as you can, you will really learn a lot and get most of your questions answered.

In answer to your question, I was checked into the hospital about 8:45, surgery was at 9:30 at about 10:50 I woke up in the recovery room and by 11:15 I was drinking and walking around, I was home by 1:00. So in my case very very quick.

Totally agree, I am a recovering food addict. food is really like any other maladaptive coping mechanism - Alcohol, drugs, shopping - just like anything that will keep your mind off whatever you don't want to think about. The difference is it is so socially acceptable. You cannot have a drink at your desk at lunch, but no one will question a double burger and fries.

I am dealing with why I eat and this has helped me tremendously. I am getting banded on the 3rd of December and am really excited.

Its a big realisation isnt it?

that's what I found most scary about the whole process, how on earth was I going to cope without being able to pig out?

But in the end I didnt find it hard. I think I thought my food problems were worse than they actually are. I got the same satisfaction from much less food and never found that I felt deprived or like I couldnt cope at all.

Hopefully, it will be as easy over time for you.

My sentiment exactly! It's not that hard, eat to live don't live to eat. Having my band has taught me that food really isn't as important as I thought it was. I can still go out and socialize. I pick at my food instead of devouring it.