Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a question. Does drinking coffee make any of your bands tightened up?

My doctor really doesnt want us drinking coffee, because it increases your appetite. In my case, it fills me right up and I am not hungry at all for hours after one cup. Also my band feels real tight after.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Im not a big coffee drinker but have found since I feel so full that I am going to continue drinking it. :ohmy:

My doctor is okay with coffee, but no more than two cups/day. I drink Decaf most often anyway, but either way, it doesn't make me noticeably hungrier either. The coffee that really fills me up is a small skinny vanilla decaf latte. It's like a mini meal for me.

If I don't have that first cup of coffee in the morning, I just can't get started.. It's not like I am snarfing down donuts.. psst. I even add low fat half-n-half. (but no sugar.. I am on a diet).

coffee has oils in it that can be extremely irritating to the stomach. Usually that is the reason doctors want you to stay away from it. Caffeine also moves food through the body faster, preventing proper nutrient uptake from what you are eating.

I dont find coffee makes me hungrier.

And if it does, I'd honestly rather be fat than give up coffee. It will never happen. I love everything about it - the ritual, the way it punctuates the day, I love good coffee.

Luckily I was never told to.

My doctor really doesnt want us drinking coffee, because it increases your appetite. In my case, it fills me right up and I am not hungry at all for hours after one cup. Also my band feels real tight after.

Im not a big coffee drinker but have found since I feel so full that I am going to continue drinking it. :ohmy:

One of my approved drinks on my liquid only diet after surgery was coffee. I do add some sweet n low and fat free Creamer. Would not be able to function without it. After 10 years of drinking about 80 oz of Diet Mtn Dew everyday and going cold turkey off those - no way am I giving up the coffee!! :confused:

I love coffee, it doesn't make me hungry, actually does the opposite.

I have switched to decafe now, who knows for how long.... but I throw Isopure choco or vanilla in the morning so that I have a gourmet drink... and that way I am good til lunch. then I have coffee in the afternoon for a "snack" LOL. I don't put sugar in my coffee or tea. I do use 2% for my coffee though.

Patterba, where do you find low fat half and half? I have never seen such a beast!

Howdy! My doctor said I shouldn't drink anything that contains caffeine for at least 6 weeks after being banded because caffeine can irritate your stomach. While at my 2nd fill (8 wks after surgery), the dietician told me that I could start having caffeine because caffeine is a stimulant and it would help me in the "bathroom department." After my 3rd fill, I began to notice that trying to eat anything in the morning was pretty darn uncomfortable. I started drinking hot tea or coffee every morning to help loosen my band. It works like a charm! :thumbup:

I have a big cup of coffee every morning. If it makes me hungry I would say that's a good thing, as I've not really had much of an appetite since my last fill (not too tight--just right!). But even before banding, I always felt that coffee filled me up for at least a couple of hours. Now, especially if I happen to drink a skinny, fancy coffee drink, it sometimes fills me up all day and I have to remind myself to actually eat something.

I do think dehydration could make people feel tighter, but I drink so much besides the coffee (water, Crystal Light) that I don't think it really has that effect on me.

I dont find coffee makes me hungrier.

And if it does, I'd honestly rather be fat than give up coffee. It will never happen. I love everything about it - the ritual, the way it punctuates the day, I love good coffee.

Luckily I was never told to.

I am soooo with you Jachut, Everything about coffee effects all my senses. I have been known to eat a bean or two that escape the grinder when grinding the Beans. The smell of my husband grinding the beans and then making that coffee is incredibley heavenly!

I have given it up for my pre-op diet, and will continue not drinking it while on my post op diet, but dog-gone-it, I have to have me some coffee after I start solids.

My Dr said no coffee forever, but I say I have done everything he has asked (hard as it is), but coffee is where we part ways!

Yes! Yes! i started drinking coffee Friday Sept 16, 2011 and Saturday band tightened up Tuesday i didn't drink coffee but on Wednesday tried coffee again bands tightened up again

I will not give up my morning coffee. I already gave up diet dr pepper. I would be evil without my coffee. I agree it makes me feel full. I have my first cup of coffee around 8am and I'm not usually hungry for food till around noon

yeah, i will not be giving up my coffee, not going to happen :)

i would rather die than give up my cup of joe. i don't find it makes me hungry at all, actually i am not hungry period in the morning. i have a coffee after i have my Protein Shake every morning.

I have 1 cup in the am, but it does tend to bother m tummy a little. I have to eat with in 1 hr. But that it all worked into my morning. Get up , one cup of coffee, exec\rcise, get ready for work and have a protene shake on my way to work. My coffee gets me going. I dont think i could go with out it.

Hot Drinks help to loosen the band in the morning if it is feeling tight. Good excuse to have coffee! I don't really need and excuse, but I do enjoy my coffee everyday at least once and it has not slowed down my wight loose. Good luck