Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

liquid diet while banded

I had surgery on june 30th and haven't lost a pound even after 4 fills. I went to see my OBGYN other day who also had lapband and lost 75 lbs initially then gained back 40 pounds. This time she told me that she went on a physician supported liquid diet while being banded for 6months and lost 75 lbs again!!!! I am very discouraged with my situation and her story motivates me to go on a liquid diet. I am desperate to lose 75 pounds myself. Have any of you heard anything like this? What is your opinion and should I go on a liquid diet or not?

Input is appreciated a lot.

Honestly, I would be a little pissed if I was doing everything right and ZERO pounds were coming off....have you talked to your surgeon??

I had surgery on june 30th and haven't lost a pound even after 4 fills. I went to see my OBGYN other day who also had LAP-BAND® and lost 75 lbs initially then gained back 40 pounds. This time she told me that she went on a physician supported liquid diet while being banded for 6months and lost 75 lbs again!!!! I am very discouraged with my situation and her story motivates me to go on a liquid diet. I am desperate to lose 75 pounds myself. Have any of you heard anything like this? What is your opinion and should I go on a liquid diet or not?

Input is appreciated a lot.

My .02...I'd be ticked if I had to go on a liquid diet to lose weight, when that was the reason for getting the band...but each to his own.

I have to say that not losing *anything* over a 5 month period suggests that either you or the band is not doing its job. Are you only eating 3 meals or 6 small meals a day vs 'grazing' all day? Are you making good choices meaning Protein and vegies versus high calorie, nutritionally empty foods? I ask because if you haven't lost anything in 5 months, then you must be taking in the same calories you did pre-band...whether through eating too much or choosing the wrong foods.

The band should cause enough restriction to slow you down when you're eating and limit the amount you eat at a sitting. If you are still able to eat the way you did pre-band, then I'd let the doc know you don't have restriction.

A liquid diet is very hard to stick with especially around the holidays. It sounds like you really need to make an appointment and go over what you are eating with a good nutritionist who can then set up a eating plan you can live with and still lose weight.

It sounds like you may not be using your tool (band) to it's full potential.

I agree with the others about going back to your fill doctor. Really, the number of fills has little bearing on whether you're getting good long-lasting restriction. Based on my history, it took several fills to get to my personal "sweet spot". Some doctors also give bigger fills than others, so don't feel discouraged because you feel like you've already had a several adjustments. You need to stay on track by getting your fills until you reach the level of restriction that you can eat the meal plan prescribed by your doctor and have good satiety between meals.

I agree with the others. To have to go on a liquid diet to lose weight basically negates the point of having a band. The band only works with solids. So if this is what you have to do to lose it seems pointless having had the band. Also if you were able to stick to a liquid diet long term you probably wouldn't have got the band - do you think it would be any easier to stick to now?

I think you have to examine closely what you are doing.

Are you eating correctly and following the "rules"?

Are you exercising.

or are you maybe cheating the band by eating high calrie slider foods or constantly snacking.

Remember the band does not do all the work. You are still in control of your choices and what you put in your mouth.

Speaking to a nutritionist is a very good idea. You may need to change what and how you are eating.

As someone else said the number of fills is not important. Some dr's give large fills others small fills. Some people need very little to feel restriction others need a lot more.Unfortunately finding the right amount is not an exact science.

Good luck I hope you manage to work out what the problem is and start losing soon.

esv2000 I think you already know the answer to why you are not losing weight.

I know my issues are not enough restriction, too much carbs, less Protein and not enough exercise and I have to just work on those.

This was something that you posted in another thread. Obviously you have to work on those issues. Remember the band is a tool - not a magic wand.

elcee,

I know I posted that info few wks ago but since then I am eating my Protein, trying to exercise 2times a week and eating less carbs even then I dont see any weight loss. I agree I need a fill desperately but my doctor cancelled my last appt and rescheduled me for dec 7th which I have no control over................

I know it is very hard and expensive to be on a liquid diet but if band isnt working for me then that's the option left before considering bypass which I am scared of.

Working out three days per week will help maintain your weight, if you are trying to lose weight you must work out more frequently. My advice, work out 5 days per week.

I work out everyday!

oh thank you happy2lose! I did not know that part and thought I was doing good with exercise.............lol

My doctor personally supports a liquid diet.....not full liquids but partially as you still need the nutrients. He recommends Slim Fast Low Carb which has 20g of Protein. I have one in the morning at about 8, one about 10, one about 12:30 and another at about 3. Then I eat a small sensible meal. It has to be the Slim Fast Low Carb because the regular obviously has too many carbs and to much sugar. This works for me and sometime in between ( like for snack, if I get hungry) either a stick of string cheese for some extra protein or a cup of Jello sugar free pudding or just regular jello. This seems to work for me to help me get jump started again. Anyway, try this and see if it work for you!! Let me know how it works if you decide to try it.

BFRIZZELL,

thanks for ur reply. I am doing Protein Shake for BF and lunch then eat normal but healthy dinner. Let me see how this works for a month if not i am going on a liquid diet in jan.......

Ok so I wanted to give you my thought on this....I had surgery Aug 08 and to date am down 30 yes 30 pounds...........My DR says my body is NOT responding to the BAND like it should............so with that being said he wants me to go on a 3 month Meal Replacement liquid diet from Bariatric Advantage....I weight 230 pounds and im 5'5 so Im hopeing this can get this weight moving But im pissed caused I paid for my BAND myself and have to lose weight on a liquid diet r u kidding me????? Oh and by the way I can only eat 2 a day and like 1/2 cup of food...........Good luck with you BAND Shannon

Ok so I wanted to give you my thought on this....I had surgery Aug 08 and to date am down 30 yes 30 pounds...........My DR says my body is NOT responding to the BAND like it should............so with that being said he wants me to go on a 3 month Meal Replacement liquid diet from Bariatric Advantage....I weight 230 pounds and im 5'5 so Im hopeing this can get this weight moving But im pissed caused I paid for my BAND myself and have to lose weight on a liquid diet r u kidding me????? Oh and by the way I can only eat 2 a day and like 1/2 cup of food...........Good luck with you BAND Shannon

hate to sound condisending but you guys did know that the band is just a tool and that you have to work with it. You still have to make the right choices when it comes to eating. You can gain weight with a tight band if you choose to eat milkshakes and potato chips. Perhaps you need an unfil so that you can get more food in and excersise more. Keep track of what you are eating. Go back to basics dont drink with your meal, Protein first then veg and fruit if you have space.

My doctor personally supports a liquid diet.....not full liquids but partially as you still need the nutrients. He recommends Slim Fast Low Carb which has 20g of Protein..

I used to do the Slim Fast low carb but then found better options. EAS Protein powder has twice the Protein for about the same number of calories and it's just as low carb. Just a thought.