Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Meridia and the band.

Hi

I am not sure where to post.Had the band in 2005.Lost 150 plus pounds.Had loads of heartburn and pain all the time.Started pouching in 2007.Unfilled...filled...pouch...

Ok,so since 2007 band has been 100% unfilled.I have regained 90 pounds and am biding my time until I can have the band removed and maybe do sleeve gastrectomy.

The thing is I started taking Meridia yesterday and felt wonderful all day until I started getting the most intense cramps in the evening.Took half a nexium...still cramping even this morning.I do not intend giving up to easily.

What I want to know is this.Is the band and Meridia compatible (as medication)I cannot drink even one voltaren and I get gastritis.Or one asprin and I die for days...I am quite sensitive to most meds...

Please, if any one knows if it is an "allowed" meds with the band,let me know.

Thanks

Desertmom (fat desertmom...lol)

I'm not sure about the meds being compatible. but why are you getting the band removed? Why don't you just start back getting your fills? Inquiry minds wants to know..

Hi

I am not sure where to post.Had the band in 2005.Lost 150 plus pounds.Had loads of heartburn and pain all the time.Started pouching in 2007.Unfilled...filled...pouch...

Ok,so since 2007 band has been 100% unfilled.I have regained 90 pounds and am biding my time until I can have the band removed and maybe do sleeve gastrectomy.

The thing is I started taking Meridia yesterday and felt wonderful all day until I started getting the most intense cramps in the evening.Took half a nexium...still cramping even this morning.I do not intend giving up to easily.

What I want to know is this.Is the band and Meridia compatible (as medication)I cannot drink even one voltaren and I get gastritis.Or one asprin and I die for days...I am quite sensitive to most meds...

Please, if any one knows if it is an "allowed" meds with the band,let me know.

Thanks

Desertmom (fat desertmom...lol)

You are already fitted with a weight loss tool. I suggest you slowly start filling your band and work with it. There are no guarantees that getting the sleeve wont cause you to have heartburn. If you use your band you wont need to take diet drugs.

hi

Thanks for replying.Yes the thing is I had huge problems from the day after the operation.I had pain for almost a year and the dr could never identify it.I had heartburn and reflux from the day after the operation that 40mg Nexium couldnt stop.The band is very high on my stomach and well,who knows why it wasnt working,it just wasnt.I had so many fills and unfills it is difficult to count.I have a 9cc band and even after losing 40kg's low carbing and exercising like a maniac every day the max I could have in the band was about 6cc's and then the very bad reflux would start again.

Trust me,I really tried to make this band work even with all the things that went on.I didnt want to admit faluire and I didnt want to give up.

Have started over quite a few times but it isnt working.It never worked.When I read of other people's journey with this band it still makes me sad and jealous as it was never the same.I felt pain in my upper abdominal area from the day I got the band.I suffered to lose weight (with the pain)even now,when I eat any fruit or vegetables I have severe heartburn,rubbish however is ok.I still have to take nexium even though I dont have any Fluid in the band...and before the band I didnt even know what heartburn was.Never experienced it.

I could go on and on but what is the point?My life has a much better quality fat than with even a few cc's in this band.The pain is constant and I cannot function like that.The fact that the dr cannot tell why it is like that doesnt make it not so.

ok,enough.Will drink my diet pill and see what happens.Even if I have heartburn with the sleeve,well I have it now.and I dont believe I will neccessarily have it.

Please dont disapear after a few years.It would be good to know how many people are still doing well with there bands 4 to 5 years on.Most people I can still find are now on other sites and have problems and revisions(lots of band to sleeves and well,GBP as well.Not something people want to hear or want to admit to.

Good luck and keep up the good work with your bands.

Desertmom

My Dr. just prescribed me Meridia today. I have been banded since 2/16/09. I have only lost 50lbs. This is due to my lack of exercise however he knows what a full schedule I have and really am not capable of adding more to it right now. I will update you as I see results or feel any unpleasant side effects.

My Dr. just prescribed me Meridia today. I have been banded since 2/16/09. I have only lost 50lbs. This is due to my lack of exercise however he knows what a full schedule I have and really am not capable of adding more to it right now. I will update you as I see results or feel any unpleasant side effects.

We all have busy schedules. How long do you think an drug is doing to take the place of the exercise your body needs? Do you really think taking this drug, until you feel like exercising, will benefit your body?

I hate to say it, but I'd run far and fast from my doctor if "knowing what a full schedule" I had, he prescribed me Meridia rather than tell me to carve out 30 minutes to move my butt each day. Mine approaches exercise as a non-option---it's part of what I'm obligated to do, having received the benefit of his surgical expertise. I would do it, anyway--but I am so grateful that he's so no-nonsense.

To the OP, I understand your situation is different, that you're awaiting revision and want a boost. But (a) you're experiencing pain, and (:thumbup: you do not make clear who prescribed the drug, and whether your bariatric surgeon okayed it. We can't okay it for you; our feedback can't do anything more than confirm or refute that we've done the same thing.

The pain you're experiencing, in and of itself, is worrisome. You say you won't give up easily--does this mean you're planning to continue with the Meridia despite the pain? I think you might wish to rethink that: while I understand your frustration, causing yourself further difficulty seems ill-advised.

I'd go back to your surgeon, see if he's learned anything new in recent months that might be applicable to your situation, get plans for revision underway (even if they are long-term), and formulate the best and SAFEST plan for the meantime.

I suspect it will NOT include Meridia. Its long-term benefits are next to nil, anyway.

We all have busy schedules...It is just what you consider a priority. My thoughts are if you have time to read and post on forums, you probably have time to excercise.

Sorry to get off thread topic but I just wanted to get on my soap box.

Edited by Humming Bird

Hi Desertmom,

I found this:

What side effects do users of Meridia report?

The more common side effects may include: Abdominal pain, acid indigestion, anxiety, back pain, Constipation, cough increase, depression, dizziness, dry mouth, flu symptoms, headache, increased appetite, insomnia, joint pain, loss of appetite, loss of strength, nasal inflammation, nausea, nervousness, painful menstruation, rash, sinus inflammation, stomach ache and sore throat.

So if you are having reflux/gastritis problems because of the band, it looks as though Meridia might not be a good choice until after your revision.

I am sorry the band did not work out well for you. It doesn't work for everyone. :thumbup:

Best wishes for a full recovery!!

I love how you all get on your "soap box" and criticize a person without knowing them. Also, I am a nurse and am fully aware of side effects, risks, and benefits. You are just one person with a unique life, you know what you can and can't do and what works best for you. That's great. Unfortunately for me, I work full-time (3, 12 hour shifts) plus go to school full time to further my education, plus have 2 children, and a husband that depend on me. If you have never been through nursing school, that in itself is an ordeal...now add everything i have to deal with on top of that. I am online here at work and as a nurse on an average shift I walk about 3+ miles in 12 hours. So I think I get all the exercise I can handle at the moment. 7 days a week I am doing something. So please, don't judge a book by it's cover, perhaps if you had known all that you wouldn't have been so harsh to criticize my PERSONAL decision made with my doctor to achieve my weight loss goals. I wish you all the success you deserve.